Random Flow Generators & Random Flow in Your Reef Tank

Do you use a random flow generator device in your reef aquarium?

• YES

Votes: 228 55.9%
  • NO

Votes: 162 39.7%
  • Kinda (please explain)

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keeping to our FLOW theme for the week let's talk about random flow and more specifically random flow generators! Random Flow Generators have been used in the hobby for quite some time and many people use them as part of their standard equipment, but not everyone. Let's talk about it!

Do you care about having random flow in your reef aquarium?

20190224_145324.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and ran it on a previous tank. It did well but I have dual outlets on one tank now so never bothered to buy a second and it doesn't fit my other tank so it's in the box of ever-growing not in use gear.
Anyone know of one that will fit the output on a redsea reefer 170?

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently but I plan on buying a few for my tanks very soon! I definitely can see it helping a lot.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use random flow DIY controller:

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one of these, but what a PITA to replace when it failed! Replaced with standard PVC.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, back in the day I was an avid believer in Closed Loop systems and Wavemaker motor things. I don't even remember what they were called. I LUVED that setup. 1 pump plumbed into this motor with 4 outlets and it would rotate between 2 on/2 off by rotating a piece on the inside. I had those with the little spinner things on the outlets. There was absolutely no pattern to flow inside the tank and my Hippo tang was in love.

These days I run the TUNZE system and my top water motion is a standing wave that increases and decreases in strength over about a 5 minute window. The deep water current in my tank is tidal full flow for 30 seconds and off for 45 seconds. It isn't randomized to us but I bet it feels random to them inhabitants.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the ones from Cleven but took them off to clean and have not replaced them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Utilizing 7 in a 660g
4 in a 135g

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did on my previous system and loved them. Want to use them on my current system but they don't sell 2 inch, 2 1/4, and 2 1/2 ones which are the sizes I require. I wish they or someone else would though.

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one of these, but what a PITA to replace when it failed! Replaced with standard PVC.

OMG, I couldn't remember for the life of me the name of this thing. Agree, great idea but dodgy reliability, I also went to straight pipe. Then I bought a SeaSwirl that also bombed on me. This time, I have in-tank circ via 2x Gyres and the WaveEngine.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't this effectively the "same" question as below... :)
I guess it's all in the nuance.
My twist is:
Would someone please explain why random flow is better than just flow?

I do drop the speed with the moons cycle, but I think only out of peer-pressure lol
I've not noticed any difference to my corals or "dirty" build up if I use any type of Random flow.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them because they allow me to crank up my return pump to speed up the turn over. Especially when you add the splitter. However not sure if or how they actually generate random flow since return pump is steady.
Original small red sea outflow was a strong torpedo of water with a lot of force in one small area

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping to our FLOW theme for the week let's talk about random flow and more specifically random flow generators! Random Flow Generators have been used in the hobby for quite some time and many people use them as part of their standard equipment, but not everyone. Let's talk about it!

Do you care about having random flow in your reef aquarium?

20190224_145324.jpg
VCA nozzles on each return in Reefer 525xl.

As much as we read a lot about stability (mostly parameters), I believe some variables are good for our tanks. In addition to other things, random flow is good helping with dead spots.

Back