Raspberry Pi alternative

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any confirmed Raspberry Pi alternatives that work without a ton of modifications? It looks like without paying $150+ or waiting until mid 2023 I won't be able to get a pi board.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adafruit sells 2 GB model 4s every Wed or Thurs. They have a strict policy where each person gets to buy one and only one of any model until further notice. They require you to setup 2FA (an anti-bot measure). Get in stock notifications from rpilocator.com.

The other option is to backorder on Digikey. It took < 4 weeks for me to get two 8 GB model 4s. They don't charge your credit card until they ship.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a look on second hand sites, you do sometimes get Zeros and Zero W for something like 30-60€ over here.

Last edited:

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, I forgot that some users have found them at Microcenters. They don't seem to be listed online as they found them in person.

OP
OP
B

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Microcenter close. Pi Zero can't be backordered on Digikey. I'll try Adafruit but I never can catch them in stock. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the Zeros are harder to find. Does it have to be a Zero?

1658155028419.png

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the original question was if we can use something else than pi to power reef-pi. Currently no .. there’s not much we can do without pi. Gpio , sensor integration and everything is tied to pi specifics. While we will not have any capabilities , we can still run reef-pi on something else (using dev mode ). We are working on to make it easier by next major release, followed by allowing ability to integrate things that will supplement the missing capabilities . We will not be able to make end to end systems that are cheap and standardized in this route. But we will have this available .

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the original question was if we can use something else than pi to power reef-pi. Currently no .. there’s not much we can do without pi. Gpio , sensor integration and everything is tied to pi specifics. While we will not have any capabilities , we can still run reef-pi on something else (using dev mode ). We are working on to make it easier by next major release, followed by allowing ability to integrate things that will supplement the missing capabilities . We will not be able to make end to end systems that are cheap and standardized in this route. But we will have this available .

Really dumb question, is the wifi pi pico something we can run on in the future?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really dumb question, is the wifi pi pico something we can run on in the future?
Yes. Not sure it will be pi pico or something else. But we’ll augment with other wifi or similar capable micro controllers. My current favorite is Esp32 . So expect that to be the first integration in those line , unless some one else chip in with other integrations

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well nice segway into this question. What about these orange pi's (from china) I saw someone mention? I'm not sure if they have the same connector tho.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well nice segway into this question. What about these orange pi's (from china) I saw someone mention? I'm not sure if they have the same connector tho.
i read about it, and my take was its not pin compatible with raspberry pi. we have to add dedicated support for it in the code, if we want to support it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back