OP
OP
U

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expecting massive carpet of algae in coming days on it.

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, I used to have a algae turf scrubber on my 200 gallon tank and it was great. If you have any trouble getting algae to grow on it I would roughen up the plastic mesh and try to rub some algae from the tank on it too seed it! What kind of light are you using on it?

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya definatly roufen up the side u want it to grow in just use a serated knife to rofen it up works much better this way used to have one on a 29 gallon sump and they do work fantastic

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be critical, it looks great, and should produce a lot of algae. Just one thing. As my ATS starts growing algae near the top, some water tends to run off of the mesh. With the acrylic container mine is in,it's no big deal. With as tall as your mesh is, if the water starts to trickle off of the mesh, you may get significant spatter out of the sump.

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be critical, it looks great, and should produce a lot of algae. Just one thing. As my ATS starts growing algae near the top, some water tends to run off of the mesh. With the acrylic container mine is in,it's no big deal. With as tall as your mesh is, if the water starts to trickle off of the mesh, you may get significant spatter out of the sump.
+1
I used to have this exact same problem with my ATS, but it was likewise enclosed in its own tank to prevent water from spraying onto the floor

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks nice. I have always wondered - how much salt creep/evaporation occurs - as compared to the potential benefit?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got a syringe stuck in the end of that flexi pipe to block it? WOW. You need rigid pipe because these things can grow 300 / 400grms of algae in addition to the water flowing through it. Looks like it’s single sided also, with a clip on light, a long way from the screen.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it starts growing, the weight of the algae will cause the screen to pull down from the tubing. If you don’t cover the top, you’ll find water all over the inside of your cabinet. I’ve used a very similar waterfall model for 18+ months. It made a mess a few times until we relocated it into a remote refugium & covered with a plastic tub.

It works great, but it will become a little loud as the water won’t always flow directly over the mesh. Great job on DIY & using plants to filter the water.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back