Ray's First Build

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I've wanted to do this for years but am finally doing it!
My son brought me his used Fluval 5g set last week, We set it up and cycling it. That got me hooked and I bought a used 90g reef setup last night at my LFS. I got :

90 gal tank...no markings on it....looked at pictures of tanks online. Looks like Aqueon Megaflow
sump Pro Cleaner Aquatic systems 125 wet/dry with prefilter
light - brand is current. metal halide and LED. no model number and could not find like pic online
skimmer - coralife 125
heater - stealth ETP-200
2 spare metal halide lamps 150 w
Danner mfg. model 9.5B submersible pump
A couple power strips, a timer, assorted fish foods

Today is my day off - I will be cleaning stuff and making a wish list to get started.
I'm not going to use the stand. I'm going to build custom as part of a larger wall unit/entertainment center to fit my bar room. Luckily, it's a converted garage so floor is a slab with tiles - no support issues. Planning begins today. I couldn't lay it out till I found a tank so I'd have tank dimensions. I will try to lay out the parts I bought and take a "before" pic today.

I'm pretty excited about it all

Here goes..............

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to take pictures! :D

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. before pics. Here's all the stuff I bought:
aquarium stuff.jpg

Here's where it's getting built in. freshwater tank and everything else moving out
before wall.jpg

Pics are probably not that interesting to you all but I wanted before pics before I start. Now off to cleaning tank and equipment

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
taking a break from cleaning. scaly deposits on the overflow box are tough. the overflow box has an inner and outer wall, not going to be able to clean between them. took the risers out and cleaned up nice though with vinegar water and scotch-brite pad. Quitting tank cleaning for today - going to wait for a warmer day so I can bring it outside with hose.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, started clearing the area on the wall where the tank will go this morning. I'm not going to use the stand that came with it, going to build custom to match the bar and stuff I've already built in the room. Was thinking of 6 4x4 legs with a 2x6 frame on top to hold the tank. I know that will be nice and sturdy, does it seem like overkill? Whenever I look at those store bought stands, they look to me like they are not built strong enough for all that weight (although I know they must be strong enough).

Anyway, I'll build the skeleton of the stand like I mentioned, then enclose with 1/4" oak plywood, stain and 3-4 coats of polyurethane. I built my bar the same way, came out terrific.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
working 3-11 shift this week so I'll see what I can get done in the mornings, although the weather is starting to turn nice here in NC, have a lot of outdoor stuff I need to do as well to get ready for spring. Managing my time is the hardest thing for me.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the spot cleared out for the stand build. Luckily, I can build it in place and avoid the moving problems I've seen in other's threads. The door in the pic leads to the backyard so I can set up my saws out there and not make a huge mess. I'd share my plan, but from past experience building lots of things, as soon as I start building something, I think of better ways to do it and the plans go out the window. So next step, Lowes for lumber maybe tomorrow.
wall cleared.jpg

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone had an idea of the ideal height for my stand. Storebought stands seem kind of low - looking down at the tank. Also I was thinking of using boards across the bottom of all the legs and sealing it so it would act as an overflow sump for the sump area so any spillage wouldn't end up running out on the floor. Has anyone else done this? Just random Sunday afternoon thoughts as I ponder my stand build.

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following for updates! Looking forward to watching this progress.

My stand has an enclosed bottom with a PVC floor (thin sheet) that has been sealed to the framing. Helps to hold a little water if (when) spills happen.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably going to start stand build tomorrow morning. I think when I build the skeleton of the stand, I'm going to go to Lowe's paint section and try to get a gallon of mixed and returned paint from the clearance rack and paint every surface for protection. Won't cost much and I don't care what color it is, will all be covered up. I imagine moisture and salt and stuff would be an issue in the stand. Also going to try to take the tank outside and clean it. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to set it on some 4x4s to raise it up and fill and soak it? Should I add vinegar or something? The overflow box is double walled and I see a lot of deposits and crystallized stuff between there.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started building stand this morning. didn't have all that much time to work on it after going to Lowe's for lumber and gathering tools, but it's a start. I made the height at 37 1/2 inches just because the 96" boards cut up into 3 even 32" pieces and a 5 1/2" wide 2x6 on top. I'll finish this part of it tomorrow. I'll probably build out the front before I enclose and put on the plywood top so the cabinet under would be bigger and also have a ledge in front of the tank to set things like test equipment while using. The right side will be built out with storage cabinets on bottom, then perhaps a medicine cabinet style section above that for small items (testing stuff, food, etc.) On right of that build for stereo cabinet and MAME arcade machine. Be quite a project all in all. But first, tank stand.
stand.jpg
stand2.jpg

Right now, I just propped it up on leg boards on left side for pics. Finish that tomorrow. And any other bracing it might need. Does anyone think I need support legs in the center or will the 2x6 top frame be sufficient? There is a wooden ledge on the wall behind the top, I may attach it to that as well.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow I am going to drill a small probe hole into that ledge behind the tank. I don't know what it is. If it's concrete in there, I think I'll get some tapcon screws and screw the back of the top board and the back legs right to the wall. Will add stability.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank up on stand. Have to finish closing in the bottom but I want to get water flowing. Next step - buying rock and building reef

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I ordered 80lbs dry rock and 80 lbs live sand from amazon. Here's the plan in my head for this weekend. Please advise if I'm thinking wrong.

1. Take dry rock, lay out on new plastic dropcloth and hit with pressure washer to remove loose stuff. Let dry in the sun.

2. aquascape in dry tank uning super glue gel.

3. fill tank with RO/DI water ( after installing new RO/DI system I just bought)

4. add salt to sump and circulate and test with refractometer until correct, also adjust heater for correct temp.

5. rinse live sand and add to tank.

6. clean sand off the rocks.

7. add bio-spira.

8. buy piece or 2 of live rock from LFS and add to seed dry rocks

9. test and watch tank cycle.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to vent today. Ordered my rock from amazon, supposed to arrive yesterday. It's my long weekend at work, off till wed night. Now amazon says will be delivered Wednesday! was going to aquascape this weekend.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascaped and filling. Should be filled and ready for pump and salt adding tomorrow. Film at 11. Pics tomorrow.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
arghh! when I started my pump for the first time, water level in the sump exposed the heater and burned it out. Ordered new one from amazon. Went to sit the light on top to turn it on and take a pic, slipped and dropped one end in the water!... graveyard shift makes my brain misfire. just venting. I bought this setup as a used package deal having never had one, already the stand don't go with the room, building one, don't like the sump, going to build one, the light has burnt out leds and is obsolete, no replacement parts, looking to replace, burnt out the heater. Haven't started the protein skimmer yet, we'll see.

Ok just ordered aquamaxx nemo light from marine depot. Hope it's good

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back