OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been flowing...Added one bag of instant ocean to sump, almost all dissolved. Bags says is makes 50 gallons, right now reading 1.010 on refractometer. New heater arriving tomorrow, warmer water should help the salt melt. Thinking of letting the rest of the salt in there dissolve overnight, then using wife's blender to make super salty mix, and add slowly to get salinity right.

tank.jpg

I don't like this sump already. it's too small. I haven't added rock in it yet, just mixing in salt right now. I'm going to custom build a sump to fill the space under the tank before I enclose it, and perhaps a separate refugium next to it since I'm building down the wall some cabinets, stereo stand, MAME game console, etc. The sump might be ok, except the pipes are not glued together inside the overflow box, so if pump goes off, the box leaks down into the sump. So water cannot be very deep. I'm not glueing them now because I'll replace them with bulkhead fittings for pipe instead of hose. With my custom build, the drain can be straight pipe down into sump, no hose.
sump.jpg

tank2.jpg

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This setup came with a glass canopy top, I think I need to replace that too. The glass is got all white deposits or etching on it, tried lemon juice, tried vinegar, no good. I see a lot of people have their tank open, but I have 2 cats in the house, What I'm setting up here is not a gourmet seafood buffet

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got salinity and temp right, added 80 lbs of caribsea live sand, a bottle of bio-spira yesterday. Threw in a dried brine shrimp cube. Today I see 0 ammonia, .25 nitrite, 5 nitrate. Went to LFS and bought 1 lb live rock to seed. Water still cloudy from sand, that will pass. Wife found a 45 gal tank on yard sale site, going to build me a nice sump out of it. Going to take the proclear acrylic sump I have and turn it into refugium for macroalgae and stuff. Should be great!

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.....new light in place, cycle done, went and bought 3 fish today. A scooter blenny, a firefish goby , and a damsel. I never thought much about feeding until now for some reason. While at LFS, I bought some mysis flake food by cobalt aquatics. I fed some, the damsel ate it up but not the others. I took to reading what I could, saw that the blenny likes algae, I really have none yet so I bought some dried algae and a clip to hold it down. The blenny would approach it, but perhaps because the clir looks like a clownfish he didn't go up to it. ( He might have by now. had to leave for work). The goby from what I've read likes to eat pods. I ordered some from algae barn (and chaeto and phytoplankton), but algae barn is not shipping anything until the 19th. I need to back to LFS in the morning and find some appropriate food. I see they have live brine shrimp. Would that work? I don't know what they have for frozen food, what should I ask for?

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting my hands on a 45 gallon used tank which I'm going to make into a sump. Should fit under my stand quite nicely. Need to plan baffle placement. The proclear 125 I got with the system (in first picture above) I'm thinking would make a good pod farm. I could get a separate pump from my sump into the proclear, have it high enough so I can drill a drain in the end and have it drain back into sump. That way I could control flow through the chaeto/pods. Or should I mount it high above the DT, and have it drain directly into DT so pods wouldn't get killed by the pump? I'm going to build the cabinet out down the wall anyway, could be done. Anyone think it's worth the trouble to high mount it? Seems like this would be an endless food supply.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another piece of live rock from different LFS today, observed one small white starfish, one mini-turbo, a couple small white looking bristleworms and what are maybe feather dusters. Didn't have long to look, had to go to work. I'll observe more in the morning and pics if I can.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
progress.....

a.jpg

diatom bloom in progress...CUC from reefcleaners arriving today

b.jpg

scooter

c.jpg

tank so far

sump build in progress.jpg

new sump/refugium in progress. baffles cut, waiting for silicone.....arriving today from BRS

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New sump working, got 3 new fish = 2nd firefish, PJ cardinal and a clownfish. he really needs an anemone but I don't know if the tank is ready

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My order of pods, chaeto and plankton which I ordered from algae barn on 3/12 has still not arrived. They shipped on 3/19. The post office doesn't even have an estimated delivery date yet. The USPS mule train must have gotten lost in the snow.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back