13   0   0

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 14 year hiatus. I started in the hobby back in the late 1970s and have been in and out of the hobby probably a half dozen times. Basically every time I do a major move I sell everything and vow to be out of the hobby, only to start over again usually within a year. Guess it's in my blood. I'm restricting myself to a 15 gallon AIO in our living room and a 5.5 gallon QT... at least for now.
Welcome back
Welcome to R2R.JPG

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 14 year hiatus. I started in the hobby back in the late 1970s and have been in and out of the hobby probably a half dozen times. Basically every time I do a major move I sell everything and vow to be out of the hobby, only to start over again usually within a year. Guess it's in my blood. I'm restricting myself to a 15 gallon AIO in our living room and a 5.5 gallon QT... at least for now.

Welcome! Glad you joined and glad you are back. I use a little 5g QT too.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID).

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined and glad you are back. I use a little 5g QT too.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID).
Thanks FTP,

I did start a build thread yesterday afternoon the link is here. I don't like it very much though so I'm rethinking how I want to do it. There won't be in-progress pictures because I didn't take any. I did the first couple of entries and when I went back and reread them I think they are confusing and don't convey my intent.

When I got bitten by the marine bug again I spent a lot of time on R2R and various YT channels looking at gear reviews and trying to figure out what would work and fit. I've been down this road numerous times and I decided that if I did it again I would do it a little differently. When I started out most marine gear was strictly DIY. The For What It's Worth section of FAMA was my main equipment store. Anyway I always ended up making do with shoddy gear and then eventually replacing it wasting lots of time and money and ending up with piles of junk gear. This time I wanted to get the right piece first and not collect piles of unused gear and I relied on R2R and YT to help me do it right. Only partially successfully at this point I'm afraid.

What I wanted for a build thread was to document what I was running, what I like and don't like about each piece of gear, if I removed it or have delayed implementing a piece of gear why and any changes or improvements I would like to have for the various gear. I thought it could be helpful for someone looking at upgrades for their tank to have impressions of how that gear works on a Waterbox Mini Peninsula 15 and the much simpler "does it fit".

I need to redo the thread as it is boring and not very organized. Luckily I stopped before I got too far. Also I'm just an average reefer giving my impressions on the gear I have bought just like the impressions of other average reefers I rely on to help me make decisions but somehow I think my thread comes off as rather pompous. Oh well. I will fix it. R2R has helped me get back into the hobby and undoubtedly saved me money and frustration. I want to give back what little I can contribute.

Thanks again. I thought about just deleting my build thread but I will go fix it soon.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the salty side... Again... And again... And again... And welcome to the community! I'm fairly new (4 months wet) so I'm sure I can learn a lot from you! :) I love your comment "at least for now". It sounds like you're already planning an upgrade! :)

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the salty side... Again... And again... And again... And welcome to the community! I'm fairly new (4 months wet) so I'm sure I can learn a lot from you! :) I love your comment "at least for now". It sounds like you're already planning an upgrade! :)
Thanks Karen00, more likely I can learn a lot from you. Much of my knowledge is only moderately useful today (when's the last time you saw a question about how to hook up a Sanders Ozonizer and Counter-Current Protein Skimmer?). The fragging community has really changed and expanded the hobby. Lots of the coral names I learned over the years have been changed, the new foods and equipment have all expanded what is possible. What the years have mainly taught me is patience.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Karen00, more likely I can learn a lot from you. Much of my knowledge is only moderately useful today (when's the last time you saw a question about how to hook up a Sanders Ozonizer and Counter-Current Protein Skimmer?). The fragging community has really changed and expanded the hobby. Lots of the coral names I learned over the years have been changed, the new foods and equipment have all expanded what is possible. What the years have mainly taught me is patience.
Spot on. That is the number one tenet that will never change in this hobby... "Patience" but, ironically, it's the hardest one to practice because we all want the fully stocked reef yesterday! Haha. I looked forward to seeing your 15g come to life! :) I have space limitations so I started a 5g AIO... now I wish I found room for a 10g! Haha.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks FTP,

I did start a build thread yesterday afternoon the link is here. I don't like it very much though so I'm rethinking how I want to do it. There won't be in-progress pictures because I didn't take any. I did the first couple of entries and when I went back and reread them I think they are confusing and don't convey my intent.

When I got bitten by the marine bug again I spent a lot of time on R2R and various YT channels looking at gear reviews and trying to figure out what would work and fit. I've been down this road numerous times and I decided that if I did it again I would do it a little differently. When I started out most marine gear was strictly DIY. The For What It's Worth section of FAMA was my main equipment store. Anyway I always ended up making do with shoddy gear and then eventually replacing it wasting lots of time and money and ending up with piles of junk gear. This time I wanted to get the right piece first and not collect piles of unused gear and I relied on R2R and YT to help me do it right. Only partially successfully at this point I'm afraid.

What I wanted for a build thread was to document what I was running, what I like and don't like about each piece of gear, if I removed it or have delayed implementing a piece of gear why and any changes or improvements I would like to have for the various gear. I thought it could be helpful for someone looking at upgrades for their tank to have impressions of how that gear works on a Waterbox Mini Peninsula 15 and the much simpler "does it fit".

I need to redo the thread as it is boring and not very organized. Luckily I stopped before I got too far. Also I'm just an average reefer giving my impressions on the gear I have bought just like the impressions of other average reefers I rely on to help me make decisions but somehow I think my thread comes off as rather pompous. Oh well. I will fix it. R2R has helped me get back into the hobby and undoubtedly saved me money and frustration. I want to give back what little I can contribute.

Thanks again. I thought about just deleting my build thread but I will go fix it soon.

I enjoy reworking my own build thread whenever I have some down time, so I completely understand. I love how this site lets us go back and edit no matter how much time has passed. Mine will always be a 'work in progress' but the cool thing to me is it is mine - just like you will make yours YOURS over time.

'start where you are, use what you have, do what you can' - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 14 year hiatus. I ... have been in and out of the hobby probably a half dozen times. Basically every time I do a major move I sell everything and vow to be out of the hobby, only to start over again usually within a year. Guess it's in my blood. ...

Welcome to R2R and back into reefing !

Your experience will be an asset. Like many things in life, advances are made in steps. Each trial is a step brings one closer to success.

Best wishes for 2022 and your new tank,
Jim

Back