Re-pairing the trim

Richard Hershkowitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has used epoxy or anything else to repair chips or cracks in the trim on their tank and has anyone painted the trim a different color? If so what did you use?

Thanks,
Richie

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has used epoxy or anything else to repair chips or cracks in the trim on their tank and has anyone painted the trim a different color? If so what did you use?

Thanks,
Richie
Specify what you mean by "trim".

OP
OP
R

Richard Hershkowitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specify what you mean by "trim".
The “wood” that surrounds the top and bottom of the tank. Pretty sure it’s a plastic of some sort then made to look like wood. I have seen someone sand it down a little and then fill it with epoxy smooth that out and touch it up with paint.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are referring to the tank braces. People do epoxy them but I dont recommend it or at least all my attempts do epoxy the center brace failed. What I did on a tank that works was get some aluminum flat bar and cut it, and drill it then bolt it across the crack. That worked well. The tank I am running now I bought brand new braces and of course they were just a hair off and would not fit. So I silicone to cross braces to the sides and made an aluminum brace of the center. It works really well and made the tank "rimless". I also found out that silicone adheres well to aluminum I put silicone between the aluminum brace and the tank so it would no be metal on glass but instead have the silicone to sort of cushion it.

On a side note I have some free tank braces for a 75 if anyone ever needs some. Apparently my tank has super thick glass which is why they didn't fit.

Del’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, and here’s what worked. Using what I’ve done with model RC aircraft, I used fiberglass mesh and 2 part epoxy (slow cure). Made sure every surface was extremely clean, roughened the surface, laid my base layer epoxy, then layered fiberglass and epoxy resin. Sanded, and repeated. It’s the same process as boat making, and those boats have more shear stress than even our tanks. Lasted for 5 years without incident before I moved.
That was just my experience. YMMV.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back