Re-Plumbing question

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after enough looking around I want to install my UV correctly and best way is to go straight out to tank. So I currently only have a single return pump as you can see by the pic going through manifold for the 2 return lines. I am thinking about splitting these so I can have 2 individual return pumps one of which will go through the UV.

Would I run into any issues just capping the end of the manifold? Pic attached kinda shows what I am looking to do.

Thanks!

1586266334542.png

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on your exact setup but if your tank has two different return nozzles and you using 1 return pump to power those two returns, then yes I would get a second pump. I have a two return nozzles in my tank. I have one pump running through my UV and then to 1 of the two return nozzles. Then I have a second pump running through my chiller and then to my 2nd return nozzle. So two nozzles two pumps... 1 for the UV and 1 with a manifold for anything else you may have like a fuge or reactors and the 2nd return.

Hope this makes sense.

OP
OP
Betex

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have 2 nozzles so the 2 pumps would work but more curious if me capping the end of the manifold could cause any issues with back pressure or anything else if the manifolds are closed

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have 2 nozzles so the 2 pumps would work but more curious if me capping the end of the manifold could cause any issues with back pressure or anything else if the manifolds are closed
If you cap it and the manifold is closed and water isn't going anywhere then yes its a problem. But if you are just closing off the manifold to turn off reactors and the water is still exiting somewhere into the system then no you shouldn't have problems. Basically if the pump is running it has to exit somewhere or there will be problems. Hope this helps. Without seeing the entire system its hard to tell what goes to what.

OP
OP
Betex

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cap it and the manifold is closed and water isn't going anywhere then yes its a problem. But if you are just closing off the manifold to turn off reactors and the water is still exiting somewhere into the system then no you shouldn't have problems. Basically if the pump is running it has to exit somewhere or there will be problems. Hope this helps. Without seeing the entire system its hard to tell what goes to what.
So as long as I have something plugged into the manifold I am good otherwise I would run into back pressure? Would I have to be using both of my valves or just 1 would suffice not to cause issues?

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as long as I have something plugged into the manifold I am good otherwise I would run into back pressure? Would I have to be using both of my valves or just 1 would suffice not to cause issues?
Just one is fine. As long as your not stopping water output from the pump. So no need to use both of those valves you have pictured unless you want to use them both. What kind of pump are you using?

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you can cap it and have no problem.
The concern is having a pump running and not being able to discharge the water. If you have one of the ball valves opened then the water is essentially being “discharged” thru whatever the ball valve connected to (media reactor or something)

Nicks Extreme Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say that you could cap it off with no problem if its a DC pump. just adjust the flow to fit the lower flow requirement.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a second return pump just for my UV. Both return pumps are in the return section of my sump.
Keep in mind if you do this method you MIGHT need to slow your main return pump. I found I can empty my sump faster than I can fill it if I run my pumps to fast.

OP
OP
Betex

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a second return pump just for my UV. Both return pumps are in the return section of my sump.
Keep in mind if you do this method you MIGHT need to slow your main return pump. I found I can empty my sump faster than I can fill it if I run my pumps to fast.
Yeah for sure I would need to adjust it as the secondary pump for UV wont be DC but its roughly 50% of the power that I am currently using on my main so I could just cut main down to match.

OP
OP
Betex

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say that you could cap it off with no problem if its a DC pump. just adjust the flow to fit the lower flow requirement.
Yes it is a DC pump where the manifold plugs in and I would lower the flow for sure since I would be adding a 2nd pump

OP
OP
Betex

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one is fine. As long as your not stopping water output from the pump. So no need to use both of those valves you have pictured unless you want to use them both. What kind of pump are you using?
I have an Apex Cor20 currenly running at 50%, I set it up in hopes to be using them but unfortunately right now due to splitting from 1 pump I dont get enough GPH to utilize my dual reactor or biopellet and end up needing pumps for them so hoping that if I cap it I can now utilize it for one of those without many issues hoping the flow goes up significantly.

Other choice is to redo that side of the pump where instead of capping it I have it go back straight to return nozzles, that would just require much more plumbing than just capping it and being done, but just want to make sure that say I dont use it due to lower flow that I dont get back pressure on my main pump and start causing all kinds of issues.

I got the idea of seeing a pic of the BRS160 plumbing where they have 2 valves are the end and I am assuming that they arent using atm.

1586268370479.png

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back