Ready to move to new tank?

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am undergoing an upgrade and I need to know if I'm crazy for pulling the trigger on moving my livestock.

Backstory: I had a 20 gallon standard tank with a clownfish and tailspot blenny and a few coral (zoas, leathers, a few beginner lps). I lost a couple lps and in finding out why I found a busted magnet. I treated for high copper and iron. Once those came down I had a huge Ich outbreak. I set up a QT tank so I have my fish in QT and my display has all my coral for 80 days with no fish.

This week I got a new tank; a Tideline 32 gallon AIO. I set it up with new sand, water, and any live rock that didn't have coral. It has been stable and the salinity and temperature for a little over 24 hours and all three tanks match in salinity and temperature. I've dosed bacteria in a bottle.

After reading the rip clean guides what is stopping me from just moving everything over today? I feel like my rocks should have enough bacteria to handle such a small load. Am I missing anything? I don't really have the room to have both tanks running long and it would thrill my wife to get the 20 gallon out of our way.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am undergoing an upgrade and I need to know if I'm crazy for pulling the trigger on moving my livestock.

Backstory: I had a 20 gallon standard tank with a clownfish and tailspot blenny and a few coral (zoas, leathers, a few beginner lps). I lost a couple lps and in finding out why I found a busted magnet. I treated for high copper and iron. Once those came down I had a huge Ich outbreak. I set up a QT tank so I have my fish in QT and my display has all my coral for 80 days with no fish.

This week I got a new tank; a Tideline 32 gallon AIO. I set it up with new sand, water, and any live rock that didn't have coral. It has been stable and the salinity and temperature for a little over 24 hours and all three tanks match in salinity and temperature. I've dosed bacteria in a bottle.

After reading the rip clean guides what is stopping me from just moving everything over today? I feel like my rocks should have enough bacteria to handle such a small load. Am I missing anything? I don't really have the room to have both tanks running long and it would thrill my wife to get the 20 gallon out of our way.
From what I did with my upgrade I had 50% of the water from the guy I got the tank from, filled the other 50%. I waited two weeks until all levels tested good before moving. I would cycle your tank just to be safe if its brand new

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done so in the past, given your tank wouldn't be completely stable this early in, but if the parameters allow for it id make the move after shifting over the rock for a few more days.

I dont recommend it to others as tanks vary, but I have done so many many times. Be cautious and test for ammonia and nitrates, a fully parameter test would be best however.

OP
OP
B

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and moved it that night. Essentially what I did was @brandon429 's "Rip Clean". My tank has been spotless, ammonia 0, nitrite never above 0.05 ppm, fish are happy, and corals are the best they have been in months.

Most of the bacteria lives in our live rock so they made the move. I was careful to clean any detritus or algae I could during the move making sure to keep my rocks very wet. The sand was new and rinsed and none of the water was transferred. I had to clean my filter socks a few times the first day but it cleared very fast.

Very much recommend Brandon's guide. It's nerve-wracking to do having come from the freshwater world but it proves our biggest advantage is the rocks we keep.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back