Ready to start a new build on my Mixing station!

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously had two Brute containers and I really wanted the Ace Moto Dome Top NSF Certifed Vertical Storage barrels instead, so I decided to rip everything down and start from scratch. Even had to toss away all of my Cepex and Spears Gate valves since everything was glued together. and it was all 1'' See pix 1. I have ordered all my fitting from BRS, and went with everything 3/4'' this time around on the new build. I had to buy again all of the new Fittings, Cepex Ball Valves, Spears Check Valves and a course new barrels. See attachment # 2. Going to be starting the dry fit today and make all of my cuts and put everything together before I glue anything together. Ones I get everything dry fitted and assembled I will take a few pixs..

Equipment list, everything will be 3/4'' & Sch 80:
2 - Ace Moto 25 gallon Vertical Storage Barrels
6 - Cepex Ball Valves Slip x Slip
2 - Spears Check Valves Slip x Slip
2 - 58'' Blue Sch 40 Pipe
5 - TEES Slip x Slip
2 Banjo Fittings /Male + Female
3 - Pipe Adapters Slip x Slip
4 - 90's Slip x Slip
4 - 90 Spigot x Street Slip x Slip
4 - True Unions Slip x Slip
4 - 45 Elbows Slip x Slip
2 - Male Pipe Adapters
2 - Female Pipe Adapters
2 - ABS BulkHeads Slip x Thread
1 - Marine & RV Drinking water Hose
1 - Pinpoint Salinity Monitor
1 - InkBird Temp Controller
1 - Mag Drive 4 for extra circulation
1 - PanWorld PX40 water pump
1- Heater
1 - BRS 6 Stage RODI system

OLDMixingstation.jpg

pix.JPG

Last edited:

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Floridian. Question 1 so each of those barrels are 25g right? And what part of Florida are u in? I’m in south Florida

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live over in the Redington Beach area, which on the other side of Tampa on the West Coast. Yes, the Vertical barrels are only 25 gallons each. See, I only do 10-gallon water changes every Saturday so I did not need big barrels if you know what I mean. I searched everywhere for these barrels and every place that found except one online store, the shipping was more than the barrels, like Platic Depot, Tank Depot and a ton more wanted 80 bucks per container to ship which outrages if you ask me. Anyhow, I had to wait 4 weeks for them to be shipped from the factory but I found them for $61.00ea & $13.95 to ship both containers @ www.RuralKing.com. Here is a shot of my 120 Mixed Reef system.

19780604_1072434769558171_7950933452794722850_o.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks. I will probably buy locally via Craigslist

@brett_schn - Be careful what you buy off Craiglist bc if there was any type of chemicals used in those barrels, like gas or hazmat liquied it will kill everything in your tank since that kind of liquid can never be washed out! If I were you save your money and buy the proper storage containers for your system. Think about it, you have many years of work into your tank, to mess it up over some barrel that you did want to buy new... Not worth to me, since I HAVE Over 15 years into my tank and put in a lot of blood sweat and tears. If you don't have the loot go with the food grade Brute gray garbage cans from Home Depot or your local hardware store. Wish you all the best mate! See my receipt on what I paid for two storage containers along with shipping & handling along with tax...FYI, here is the link where you can buy the exact same ones I have: https://www.ruralking.com/ace-roto-mold-25-gallon-vertical-dome-top-tank-vt0025-18.html

Receipt for containers.png

Last edited:

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brett_schn - Be careful what you buy off Craiglist bc if there was any type of chemicals used in those barrels, like gas or hazmat liquied it will kill everything in your tank since that kind of liquid can never be washed out! If I were you save your money and buy the proper storage containers for your system. Think about it, you have many years of work into your tank, to mess it up over some barrel that you did want to buy new... Not worth to me, since I HAVE Over 15 years into my tank and put in a lot of blood sweat and tears. If you don't have the loot go with the food grade Brute gray garbage cans from Home Depot or your local hardware store. Wish you all the best mate! See my receipt on what I paid for two storage containers along with shipping & handling along with tax...FYI, here is the link where you can buy the exact same ones I have: https://www.ruralking.com/ace-roto-mold-25-gallon-vertical-dome-top-tank-vt0025-18.html

Receipt for containers.png

The containers are Brand new just the guy advertises on Craigslist. If they look used or can’t be cleaned with some bleach and vinegar I’ll buy it from where u go urs.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Making some progress, I added in 2 more Cepex Ball Valves & 2 Spears True Union Check Valves for any type of backflow and extra redundancy. Also, added a ABS 3⁄4” Schedule 80 Thread x Thread Bulkhead on the top left-hand side of the saltwater barrel where the water will be circulating in a closed loop like system.

Mixstation3.JPG

Mixingstation2.JPG

ABSBULKHEAD.JPG

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, had to switch the RODI, with the Saltwater sticker since the bulkhead is supposed to be installed on the saltwater barell.

Tony Hight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the design phase on mine right now. Question for you. I am wanting to use a hose to run from my set up to pump water directly on my tank. I know it's possible with the pump you are using but I'd like to be able to stand at the tank and shut the flow off when I reach the level I want.
I was looking into a pump with an auto shutoff diaphragm but they are nowhere near as powerful. What will happen if I shut of the supply at the hose end with this pump while it is still running or is there a workaround to implement this?

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water always takes the part of least resistance. Not sure if this is the most elegant way (in fact I'm positive it's not), but you COULD do something like this:

IMG_0446.JPG

That way, when you shut the hose off, the path of least resistance will be circling back into the barrel, and will not cause problems.

If you just shut the water off, with the pump running, and you don't have some sort of "escape drain" for the water like what I drew above, you're hose will rupture.

Tony Hight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water always takes the part of least resistance. Not sure if this is the most elegant way (in fact I'm positive it's not), but you COULD do something like this:

IMG_0446.JPG

That way, when you shut the hose off, the path of least resistance will be circling back into the barrel, and will not cause problems.

If you just shut the water off, with the pump running, and you don't have some sort of "escape drain" for the water like what I drew above, you're hose will rupture.
That makes sense. Put the hose outlet t'd off right at the pump outlet with the other end rising to the top of barrel. When hose is open water will naturally run horizontal before vertical. Close hose and it'll go to barrel top. Sound right?

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. Put the hose outlet t'd off right at the pump outlet with the other end rising to the top of barrel. When hose is open water will naturally run horizontal before vertical. Close hose and it'll go to barrel top. Sound right?
You'll get water running both circuits when the hose is open, and just the circuit running back to the barrel when it's closed.

It's the same principle that most return manifolds are made with.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this little gadget that takes out exactly 10 gallons of water since I custom measured it to take out that much water out of my tank! As far as the hose, make sure you ONLY use a Marine & RV Drinking water hose. If you use a regular water hose, you could wake up with EVERY DEAD in your tank DUE to the chemicals that they spray to make the hose. Don't worry, when I am totally completed you will be able to watch the video on my YouTube page. Feel Free to subscribe to my channel ------> https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSharkvictim/videos

DSC01080.JPG

DSC01082.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 7.42.58 PM.png

@jamiec266 - Also, here is a video showing you how I did my first water change with my old mixing station, sorry about the quality since it was filmed on my Iphone.

coris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are the barrels spaced so much further apart than with the brutes?

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are the barrels spaced so much further apart than with the brutes?

@coris - They will not be, my stand is only 58'' in length, so they will be pretty close together but a little farther apart than the Brutes were but not much more. Here is a pic of the revised size on how far they will be apart!
Currently the sitting @ 16'' apart, depending on how my PanWorld 40 PX Pump fits in there, I think this will be the perfect size for each storage container. Also, nothing has been glued all this is a dry fit run if you know what I mean.

revised size.JPG

revisedsize2.JPG

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to use a Sch 40 clear PVC pipe I got for the water that will be pushing upwards off the pump. Trying to figure IT out if I want to run a TEE into both barrels with a Cepex Ball on each side. Or if I am just going run a 90 and the top of the clear pcs of PVC to the salt water barrel, just like I did in my old mixing station.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back