Real Australian Live Rock Back!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ShawnM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have eye balled your cooler full of beautiful rock a few times and now the finished product WOW absolutely stunning aquascape brother❤️ do you have any more pics of it

Sorry for the crappy pic but here is what it looks like today:
IMG_3638.jpg

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have eye balled your cooler full of beautiful rock a few times and now the finished product WOW absolutely stunning aquascape brother❤️ do you have any more pics of it
Thanks, appreciate it. I'll post a side shoot soon. Here's another pic of the rock when I first picked it up. Is this awesome rock or what?!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 125
OP
OP
Eric Cohen

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m inspired guys. Seeing good quality real live rock again makes me feel really good. I’m compelled to tell my “rock” history for ***** and giggles.

Back in 1992 when we (My brother and I along with life long next door neighbor Brad) started Sea Dwelling Creatures, Fiji live rock was just becoming popular. A cool surfer dude named Rob Paster was in Fiji pioneering the rock industry. The rock quality was so good…..purple coralline that held up so well in the boxes….even for weeks at a time. Rob quickly got himself into legal trouble and landed himself in prison for a decade plus. I haven’t heard from him in 30 years……
A friend of Robs took over sales but it wasn’t long lived before I received a call from one of my Hawaiian suppliers introducing me to a Fiji company looking for support in the USA. My brother Scott got on a flight to Fiji and began our 18 year relationship with Fiji as we began to develop the acropora trade along with live rock and fish. I followed to Fiji about a year after my brother and helped refine the collections and practices, working with the live rock collectors and more so with the coral and fish collectors. The live rock area where we were licensed to collect in was 21 miles of coastline that seemed endless. From the beach to the wave break was at least 100 yards or more and every inch of that area was nothing but rock with shallow reef all around it cut out by the high tide surges. There was very little coral in that area due to the heavy surge, thick coralline that made coral settlement nearly impossible. Some soft corals had settled along with a few fish varieties. Mostly Fiji Devil damsels, reef butterflies and puffers. Outside the reef I saw more fish diversity….clown tangs, Naso, turtles, and the grooves in the reef floor were just amazing. The tide comes in very quickly and I learned the hard way that this side of the island was no place to be taking a casual swim.
Screening live rock was a big challenge and keeping it consistent was a never ending chore. We had a great run over 17 years or so importing about a million pounds a year. We made life long friends in Fiji and memories I’ll never forget.
We developed different styles of live rock….slab, branch, Totoka, Pukani etc. Premium was the OG style and the basis for most reef structures.
Working with the guys in Australia have that same early Fiji feel, and this rock I have now is pretty nice and important when considering the cost of importing this stuff.
Inside this last batch, working with Shawn in this thread, we discovered one of the rock pieces were another style I would highly like to be the next style we add to the mix. I see “premium” written all over this piece/style.
The future is exciting and here we go building a new brand of live rock.
Here’s the passion, the love and the fun all in one. It wouldn’t be anything without community for sure which is why I’m here and working with you guys directly to make sure we get it right. I’m not alone…..we have some great people in the industry and it’s a great time to be a hobbyist!
Story to be continued. I’ve said enough for now:)

photo of the future “Premium”

Attachments

• C5BE3CAB-466A-479B-9D9C-07A76D9090A8.jpeg
    C5BE3CAB-466A-479B-9D9C-07A76D9090A8.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 174
OP
OP
Eric Cohen

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add that the Tankstop.com live rock link is now up and working.....you can order via the website.....just need to get a shipping quote for each location as shipping is NOT included with the price, and I suggest 2 day air shipping with UPS although sometimes it does make more sense to ship overnight next day as that is sometimes cheaper than 2 day......don't know why, but the numbers don't lie and what makes sense can't be ignored. Either way we can choose together and make the best decision.......

Thanks again all.....Rock is 7 days in the water and nearly cured. Feel free to get in touch with me and we can get you what you need.

Have a good night all!

Eric

Ransom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock looks amazing! Will be purchasing some soon for a 30g shallow build. Can I get a shipping quote to 37128, looking to get 10lbs.

OP
OP
Eric Cohen

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock looks amazing! Will be purchasing some soon for a 30g shallow build. Can I get a shipping quote to 37128, looking to get 10lbs.
$47 for overnight and $43 for 2 day. If you’re cool with that, you can order from my website and I’ll contact you to work out the shipping. Thanks for checking with me!

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some for about six months and is definitely a step up from any rock I've received from gulf suppliers. Did have a Mantis Shrimp show up about a month after I got it so keep an eye out.

OP
OP
Eric Cohen

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Eric for the rock. There are a few branches and corals that look to be alive? This rock smells fresh and I dropped it in the tank where 5 lbs filled the corner of my wife's fish tank nicely. I maybe should have purchased more, not because I need it but simply because it's so beautiful.

Empty corner with cycled man-made rock that has been in the fish tank since I set up last year.
IMG_0010.jpg

Rock dropped in, filling the corner nicely:
IMG_0011.jpg

The poor Test Duncan was added a couple of weeks ago to observe how the tank is progressing in it's ability to provide for coral support. I need to put a doser on if I am going to get serious about having coral in here. The Nem was added Day 1 and recently split.
IMG_0012.jpg

^The nem^ got super open right after I added the rock so I suspect that whatever "magic" is carried by the rock provided a jolt of nutrition and secret macrobiotic elements that boost the natural immunity and health on the reef for all the critters living there? There was a quick burst of window slime this morning but the nem is still super puffy and the fish are busy and actively swimming and begging for more food, (you know the drill) :)

The nem is living on long wet-fake rock while some of the new rock can be seen out front on the far left. Yes, I should have bought more but I am very happy with the addition of fresh living material from Australia that came attached to these beautiful coral clusters.

It will be interesting to see how this rock and the tank develop in the weeks and months to come.

ShawnM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That little bit of rock sets the tank off I love it looks great. FYI you don’t have to have a doser to be a great reefer it just makes it easier I don’t have a doser yet.

Thanks Eric for the rock. There are a few branches and corals that look to be alive? This rock smells fresh and I dropped it in the tank where 5 lbs filled the corner of my wife's fish tank nicely. I maybe should have purchased more, not because I need it but simply because it's so beautiful.

Empty corner with cycled man-made rock that has been in the fish tank since I set up last year.
IMG_0010.jpg

Rock dropped in, filling the corner nicely:
IMG_0011.jpg

The poor Test Duncan was added a couple of weeks ago to observe how the tank is progressing in it's ability to provide for coral support. I need to put a doser on if I am going to get serious about having coral in here. The Nem was added Day 1 and recently split.
IMG_0012.jpg

^The nem^ got super open right after I added the rock so I suspect that whatever "magic" is carried by the rock provided a jolt of nutrition and secret macrobiotic elements that boost the natural immunity and health on the reef for all the critters living there? There was a quick burst of window slime this morning but the nem is still super puffy and the fish are busy and actively swimming and begging for more food, (you know the drill) :)

The nem is living on long wet-fake rock while some of the new rock can be seen out front on the far left. Yes, I should have bought more but I am very happy with the addition of fresh living material from Australia that came attached to these beautiful coral clusters.

It will be interesting to see how this rock and the tank develop in the weeks and months to come.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That little bit of rock sets the tank off I love it looks great. FYI you don’t have to have a doser to be a great reefer it just makes it easier I don’t have a doser yet.
Yes, for low demand systems some people get away with regular water changes. I use a calcium reactor for my reef tank because I decided I wanted to do less water changes, which can work but it is amazing how much invisible stuff gets moved around between the reef animals. That last statement is why I added live rock to a mature dead rock tank. I hope to have more diversity of microbes because they really run the show when it comes water quality, imo.

I highly recommend this Australian Live Rock from Eric Cohen at Tank Stop. He is pleasant to work and he has nice rock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eric Cohen

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your shipping for 10 lbs would be:
Overnight- $46
2nd day - $42
Cheapest is Friday arrival $15

OP
OP
Eric Cohen

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, for low demand systems some people get away with regular water changes. I use a calcium reactor for my reef tank because I decided I wanted to do less water changes, which can work but it is amazing how much invisible stuff gets moves around between the reef animals. That last statement is why I added live rock to a mature dead rock tank. I hope to have more diversity of microbes because they really run the show when it comes water quality, imo.

I highly recommend this Australian Live Rock from Eric Cohen at Tank Stop. He is pleasant to work and he has nice rock.
You forgot to mention about Guido and Vinnie:)

Super stoked you like the rock! Thanks Kris!

OP
OP
Eric Cohen

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this looks amazing. reminds me of marshall island live rock i have from back in the day.
Marshals did look a lot like this piece I circled. That was always my favorite too. I imported Marshal rock for years until I/we got shut down……that’s another story.

Attachments

• B2DD5110-5A2B-4866-AF81-6010B20F9063.jpeg
    B2DD5110-5A2B-4866-AF81-6010B20F9063.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 135

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back