Really hard water issue

Dr4gon2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to reefing and saltwater in general, and I now have a pretty large algae bloom. I read somewhere it can be caused by something in the water if it hasn't been filtered properly, or that the presence of it also means the tank has finished cycling. Regardless, this led to me testing the TDS of my RODI water and according to two different meters, this is at 620+ppm! I tested my tap water as well, this also reads 620+ (I'm in Tempe AZ) while testing it on regular filtered water (Brita) it reads around 610. IDK how to fix this as it seems like my RODI unit just did nothing to filter my water.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where was the water tested from, a reservoir or at the output of the filter? If the output, let it run for 20 minutes before testing the TDS. Also have you verified that everything is hooked up correctly?

OP
OP
D

Dr4gon2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where was the water tested from, a reservoir or at the output of the filter? If the output, let it run for 20 minutes before testing the TDS. Also have you verified that everything is hooked up correctly?
I believe everything is hooked up correctly, but I can check again. I store the RODI in a a brute trash can with an airstone running

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you're testing the ro product water? As shwareefer said you need to let it run before testing tds. With such a high tds going into the system you should put a bypass valve between the ro and di to get rid of this tds creep. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-way-ball-valve-with-john-guest-1-4-push-connect.html this initial high tds will eat your di resin very fast. Also was this 620+ tds measured between the ro and the di resin or after the di stage. If after the di stage the resin is already used up.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also from reading it seams Arizona uses water from a well and seems to have co2 in there water wich also eats di resin very fast.

OP
OP
D

Dr4gon2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you're testing the ro product water? As shwareefer said you need to let it run before testing tds. With such a high tds going into the system you should put a bypass valve between the ro and di to get rid of this tds creep. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-way-ball-valve-with-john-guest-1-4-push-connect.html this initial high tds will eat your di resin very fast. Also was this 620+ tds measured between the ro and the di resin or after the di stage. If after the di stage the resin is already used up.

I did notice the resin going bad very quick, it only ran about 20 gallons or so before it completely changed color. As for the water I'm testing, its coming out of the di stage like this. I'm not sure what you mean by tds creep, or what I would do with that valve you recommended, could you explain?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your RO membrane must be installed incorrectly or you have waste and product lines mixed up. 20 gallons is rediculously fast telling me it's getting pure tap water into the DI stage. Can you post a pic of the system?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you shut down the ro unit the ro product side and waste side will equalize while sitting, this is tds creep. When you first start making water again the product side tds will be about the same as the incoming tap water tds. This will eat your ressin very fast. that valve goes between the ro membrane and the di stage. It let's you send the first few minutes of ro water down the drain so it don't use up your di resin.

If you only got about 20 gallons of ro water out of your di resin it sounds like you have co2 in the supply water. In this case people usually take the water off the ro membrane and store it a short time to let co2 off gas. Then take pump and slowly pump the ro water through the di resin separately.

So you may need to do your rodi water in two stages. Ro first, wait, then di.

OP
OP
D

Dr4gon2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your RO membrane must be installed incorrectly or you have waste and product lines mixed up. 20 gallons is rediculously fast telling me it's getting pure tap water into the DI stage. Can you post a pic of the system?
This is my system. I did actually have the ro membrane installed upside down

15970118093478572558220695896165.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dr4gon2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you shut down the ro unit the ro product side and waste side will equalize while sitting, this is tds creep. When you first start making water again the product side tds will be about the same as the incoming tap water tds. This will eat your ressin very fast. that valve goes between the ro membrane and the di stage. It let's you send the first few minutes of ro water down the drain so it don't use up your di resin.

If you only got about 20 gallons of ro water out of your di resin it sounds like you have co2 in the supply water. In this case people usually take the water off the ro membrane and store it a short time to let co2 off gas. Then take pump and slowly pump the ro water through the di resin separately.

So you may need to do your rodi water in two stages. Ro first, wait, then di.
So, the ro membrane was installed upside down, and I guess that might be the issue, but I'll also take into consideration what you're saying about the ro creep, I never knew about that until now

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back