Reanimated Reefer

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to start by thanking the members of this community for the wealth of knowledge and advise you so generously give.

I am returning to the hobby after being away (dormant really) for 16 years. I had considered myself an advanced beginner back then. I had a beautiful (IMO) 75 gal. almost 5 year established LPS and softie tank with premium equipment. Then in the summer of 2003 (August 14th to be exact) the east coast of the United States experienced a blackout, during the middle of a heatwave here in NY. The outage lasted for 25 hours in my area and I could do nothing but watch the water temperature rise. Once the power was restored the fish and all the livestock seemed to be OK and since I had performed a water change about a week prior to the power outage I thought I was safe. Had I truly been an advanced beginner I would have had water ready for a water change anyway. My tank is located in the basement of my home. 2 days later my wife and I were returning home and as soon as I opened the front door we were hit with a terrible stench (like rotting fish). I ran downstairs but even before reaching the tank I knew I'd be met with a catastrophe. Everything was dead, many hundreds of dollars worth not even a snail or copepod had survived.

I immediately began to empty the tank and clean all the equipment. I put the live rock into bins and began the curing process with multiple water changes. I knew that the curing would take a couple of months so I went to an iron shop and had them build a wrought iron open stand like the one it replaced only about 9" taller than standard for better tank viewing. I like the open stand, to me the sump, plumbing, and equipment add to the viewing experience and does not distract from the Mod 60's (paneling) basement decor.
So after about 2 years of an empty tank in the same spot and 2 brute trash bins with live rock in water (about 90-100 lbs.), my wife began urging me (about every other day) to sell off the tank because I was never going to start it up again. Knowing that she mostly went down to the basement to do laundry I started to do the laundry (I think she played me).
Now that I have been retired a couple years (and less income), I walked into an LFS and showed pictures of the equipment I have and was told that I could still use most of it but there have been many improvements and I should do a lot of research on youtube (there was no youtube when I last owned a reef tank) and on reef2Reef.

So here I am about 15 months later $3,000 later ready to give it another try.
Sorry for the long post (hey I'm old). Thanks for all the info. and I'll try to keep you posted.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Sorry about your reef troubles, but I wish you nothing with good luck with your reboot! :) Plenty of great users here ready to answer any questions you may have :)
giphy.gif

#WelcometoR2R

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Sorry to hear about your struggles, I’m going through some now. There’s a wealth of knowledge on here that are always willing to help we’re they can!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here I am about 15 months later $3,000 later ready to give it another try.

Welcome back!!

You can do it, and thanks for taking the time.

:)

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back. My dads in brooklyn and he lost his tank in that black out too. And I lost almost all my stuff in sandy bc I was out for 2 weeks. My clownfish and flame wrasses lived in a 5 gallon bucket at my firehouse for 3 weeks.

OP
OP
M

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind welcome.
From my old system I'm going to reuse the 75gal,RR corner drilled tank with Durso drain and the iron stand I had built. I will also for the time being be using a Hamilton 48" dual 175w MH/dual VHO 110w fixture. I have an Aqualogic 1/5th hp drop in chiller and Aqualogic temperature controller. I still have 2 unopened buckets of salt (reef crystals and tropic marine), heaters and thermometrs and trash bins for making water.
I decided to upgrade my sump to a Marine Depot 36" elite sump for the auto top off and I also purchased a Tunze 3155 ATO. I have a Mag12 and Mag7 and various power heads but I decided to upgrade to a Vectra M1 and MP40.I think the new pumps will generate less heat and noise and be more energy efficient. I purchased a Simplicity 240 DC protein skimmer. I had a E.T.S.S. downdraft skimmer which was always tricky to dial in and on top of that I dropped it and it cracked. I purchased a Hanna Reef Professional kit and a salinity tester. A couple of other test kits and a BRS led refractometer and all new filters and DI resin and a BRS 150GPD upgrade kit and booster pump and a carbon/GFO reactor And lastly I purchased all new bulk heads, valves and a few other things.
I think I did pretty good for the $3,000 spent. As I mentioned I have been researching this comeback for over a year and a half and I have saved well over $500 just by waiting for sales ( holiday and just because sales) and only buying a couple of things at a time.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the reef life. You won't regret it. Sounds like you have a good handle on your re-build. You should start a build thread in the "Members Tanks" forum. That way you can document what you did and when you did it for future reference. You'll also get tips and comments along the way.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back