OP
OP
M

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again. I have a few questions. When I stared my old tank years ago the methodology I was using was the Berlin System. That meant large quantities of quality live rock and a moderate sand bed for beneficial bacteria , an efficient Protein Skimmer, Strong lighting, and using Kalkwasser in my top off water. Also periodic water changes. Up until the tank crashed that was working pretty well for me.
In researching for another try at reef keeping I have noticed many member tanks and in youtube videos that rock scapes seems to be very minimalistic these days and many keep bare bottom tanks. Perhaps that is due to newer methods (Triton,Zeovit, algea scrubbers and reactors). So is the "Berlin System" being used any more? Should I just surrender to the current and future reef keeping ways?
I had been keeping about 90 - 100lbs of what was back then called premium Fiji live rock (cured) in 2 covered Brute bins, half way (due to evaporation) submerged in salt water. This July I Brought it out to my back yard and set it out on a table to bake in the summer heat. I would like to use much of this Fiji rock in my new build since real Fiji rock is no longer available. I have seen a few youtubers say using old rock is not advisable and many say only use dry man made reef rock or aquacultured rock. Your opinions please.
Attached is a picture of a faded picture circa 2001. See the large amount of live rock I was using.
20180718_113414 (1).jpg

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again. I have a few questions. When I stared my old tank years ago the methodology I was using was the Berlin System. That meant large quantities of quality live rock and a moderate sand bed for beneficial bacteria , an efficient Protein Skimmer, Strong lighting, and using Kalkwasser in my top off water. Also periodic water changes. Up until the tank crashed that was working pretty well for me.
In researching for another try at reef keeping I have noticed many member tanks and in youtube videos that rock scapes seems to be very minimalistic these days and many keep bare bottom tanks. Perhaps that is due to newer methods (Triton,Zeovit, algea scrubbers and reactors). So is the "Berlin System" being used any more? Should I just surrender to the current and future reef keeping ways?
I had been keeping about 90 - 100lbs of what was back then called premium Fiji live rock (cured) in 2 covered Brute bins, half way (due to evaporation) submerged in salt water. This July I Brought it out to my back yard and set it out on a table to bake in the summer heat. I would like to use much of this Fiji rock in my new build since real Fiji rock is no longer available. I have seen a few youtubers say using old rock is not advisable and many say only use dry man made reef rock or aquacultured rock. Your opinions please.
Attached is a picture of a faded picture circa 2001. See the large amount of live rock I was using.
20180718_113414 (1).jpg

Lots of peeps do use less rock in tank and let the coral take up the dt space. I would do whatever you are comfortable with. U can do berlin w rock in sump. A fuge is nice though.

Back