Reason for price increases recently?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's quite comical that there are people that really believe this is a way for businesses to make more money. Giving stimulus checks didn't cause it either. This unfortunately is not a USA issue. The only people making money on this are the shipping companies. Container ports around the world are overflowing with empty containers because the shipping companies have realized that they can save a load of money on fuel, port charges and offloading charges by not transporting shiploadsofemptycontainersbacktotheirsourcecountries. They realized that people have to get their stuff and are willing to pay $17-30000 to transport 1 Container. The prices were in the $1500-4000 range before covid. Less containers on board while charging 5 times more and burning half the fuel and cutting their turnaround time in half means record profits. Until all the world governments step in and put this practice to a stop this is not going to get any better. Companies cannot absorb those kinds of shipping costs. It all flows downhill.
Honestly, I don’t get why ppl think economic stimulus to boost the middle class hurts the economy lol. It’s very unfortunate that it could be used as an excuse to not help folks. But I very much come from Keynesian economics, so.

we are in extreme times rn re:Covid, so there it is. And the media plays a role as well — when you report on scarcity folks will panic buy, creating more issues.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Panic buying is a known problem and i agree that some companies use it as a strategy to boost sales in times of crisis. One thing I never got was the toilet paper thing. Lol

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panic buying is a known problem and i agree that some companies use it as a strategy to boost sales in times of crisis. One thing I never got was the toilet paper thing. Lol
But I suppose some people now are probably still using the toilet paper they bought a year and a half ago lol.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is called resentment for those who are not on the take. And if you are truly a Keynesian, you would know that now is the time to scale back government spending not increasing it. When the economy is strong as it is now, this is when private sector money is supposed to be used and the government is to bow out.
For now, I was specifically referring to stimulus at the height of covid.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael Conor Mic Drop GIF by In Real Life
I’m sorry? Lol were you trying to own me w/your last response or something? Not sure what is meant by the mic drop. Either way this is the kinda stuff that drove me to stop using Twitter and come here. Frankly, I’d rather talk about reefs than argue w/folks over politics and economics. That is something we all get enjoyment from and have in common.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back