Reason for price increases recently?

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not applicable to this discussion. Both parties have shown they are quite willing to print more money. The only difference is who it is given too. That doesn't change what it does to prices.
Now if only we could get more people to realize there’s more than two parties. ;)

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One could make a strong analogy to the ecological balance of elements, bacteria and livestock in our reef tanks to the balance of economy, manufacturing and supply chain of our nation... If you disrupt one thing it can really have undesirable effects of many other things in the ecosystem.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's hope but I don't know if that will happen. People are paying higher prices because they have to and retailers know it. If/when things get back to normal (meaning lower cost of shipping, lower cost of parts, etc.) it will take at least one retailer to lower their prices to start to force everyone to do it. If costs do decrease there's more profit for retailers to keep their prices high. I'm really afraid this might be the new world order. :-( Maybe more wholesale to public shops will start popping up to help ease the cost burden.
Yeah. Everybody is always so much faster to raise them than to lower them when costs come down. It eventually happens as one person tried to steal some share. But for a while everyone enjoys all the profits.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the folks who turned toward politics, I work in politics (which TBH is why I’m tired of Twitter and joined/started coming here more), and honestly economic stimulus that favors the working and middle class is very popular w/the overall American public — one of the most popular and well-received things T did during his presidency was issue stimulus checks that favored families and the working and middle class, and that was on both sides of the aisle — remember those checks many got that he made a big deal of making sure his signature was attached to.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Everybody is always so much faster to raise them than to lower them when costs come down. It eventually happens as one person tried to steal some share. But for a while everyone enjoys all the profits.
When retailers pay more to replace stock than they sold it for where are these profits you mention?

I read these threads and have come to understand that the majority of people have no idea how things work.
The same people causing the money problems run education also. Perhaps just a coincidence.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's absolutely a legit crisis for everyone now. I saw a news story where people might have to wait up to a year to get new appliances they ordered. I think it will be awhile for things (supply chains, etc) to normalize and then awhile after that for prices to come down (hopefully). I don't blame anyone for trying to keep their profit margins as high as possible for as long as possible. Covid has brutalized the world in more ways than one. What I really hope gets back to normal sooner rather than later are the couriers and their ability to deliver on time.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When retailers pay more to replace stock than they sold it for where are these profits you mention?

I read these threads and have come to understand that the majority of people have no idea how things work.
The same people causing the money problems run education also. Perhaps just a coincidence.
I don't think that comment was talking about the situation as it is now. Everyone grasps the situations as it is now. Everyone has been brutalized by the Covid fallout. That was a reply to my comment talking about if prices come down in future will the retailers lower their prices to follow suit or try to keep their profits up for as long as they can until such time the market forces price drops.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I sell something that has been made. I can raise the price on that one and always have enough money to make another one.
If you pay me to make something and then I do prices on the stuff to make another one rise in the meantime and I don't get enough back to make another one. There is no incentive to fill an order and a big one not too.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that comment was talking about the situation as it is now. Everyone grasps the situations as it is now. Everyone has been brutalized by the Covid fallout. That was a reply to my comment talking about if prices come down in future will the retailers lower their prices to follow suit or try to keep their profits up for as long as they can until such time the market forces price drops.
There is nothing going on now that didn't go on before. All that changed was how fast they did it in the name of Covid.

In all of my 60 years I have never seen prices in general go down. Sometimes they stop rising and wages catch up.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For the folks who turned toward politics, I work in politics (which TBH is why I’m tired of Twitter and joined/started coming here more), and honestly economic stimulus that favors the working and middle class is very popular w/the overall American public — one of the most popular and well-received things T did during his presidency was issue stimulus checks that favored families and the working and middle class, and that was on both sides of the aisle — remember those checks many got that he made a big deal of making sure his signature was attached to.

Getting 'free' money is popular with the recipients? I am quite surprised by that ;)

I'm not going down the politics route (I am not American so have no dog in this fight) but when there is a big negative factor that impacts the economy, there are no winners; print/give away money, devalue the currency and get into huge debt, or tighten the reigns and watch unemployment skyrocket and the economy tank. Which should I choose?

The current price rises are a 'simple' supply and demand issue. I have had to travel during the pandemic and flight tickets have been pretty cheap - they aren't any more. Try getting a reasonably priced rental car at the moment.

Hobbies that are suitable for passing the time at home have been hit hard. People are unable to get out and about, bored out of their mind, ordering things on the internet to pass the time. Shipping companies can't cope, which means manufacturers can't get raw materials, assembly plants therefore can't get components, there isn't enough container space, couriers are overwhelmed, and people continue to buy more and more goods via mail order.

To be honest, I quite surprised that prices aren't even higher.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting 'free' money is popular with the recipients? I am quite surprised by that ;)

I'm not going down the politics route (I am not American so have no dog in this fight) but when there is a big negative factor that impacts the economy, there are no winners; print/give away money, devalue the currency and get into huge debt, or tighten the reigns and watch unemployment skyrocket and the economy tank. Which should I choose?

The current price rises are a 'simple' supply and demand issue. I have had to travel during the pandemic and flight tickets have been pretty cheap - they aren't any more. Try getting a reasonably priced rental car at the moment.

Hobbies that are suitable for passing the time at home have been hit hard. People are unable to get out and about, bored out of their mind, ordering things on the internet to pass the time. Shipping companies can't cope, which means manufacturers can't get raw materials, assembly plants therefore can't get components, there isn't enough container space, couriers are overwhelmed, and people continue to buy more and more goods via mail order.

To be honest, I quite surprised that prices aren't even higher.
Well the takeaway isn’t so much that it’s popular as it is that from a political standpoint there is plenty of motivation on both sides to do it if your main concern is to get ppl to vote for you. I also wouldn’t call it free since we all pay taxes — folks do genuinely like to see the government working for them.

I think a couple of folks gave the most simple and direct answers for why prices went up early on in the thread, TBH. I was just like oh no here’s comes the political stuff, and is that even necessary…

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's quite comical that there are people that really believe this is a way for businesses to make more money. Giving stimulus checks didn't cause it either. This unfortunately is not a USA issue. The only people making money on this are the shipping companies. Container ports around the world are overflowing with empty containers because the shipping companies have realized that they can save a load of money on fuel, port charges and offloading charges by not transporting shiploadsofemptycontainersbacktotheirsourcecountries. They realized that people have to get their stuff and are willing to pay $17-30000 to transport 1 Container. The prices were in the $1500-4000 range before covid. Less containers on board while charging 5 times more and burning half the fuel and cutting their turnaround time in half means record profits. Until all the world governments step in and put this practice to a stop this is not going to get any better. Companies cannot absorb those kinds of shipping costs. It all flows downhill.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”​

We are now trying out
"You can fool a majority of people all of the time"
and we have been for several decades now.

It seems to working really well for them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back