OP
OP
Alex Costa

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Small Island, that don't stop growing......

21-01-20-Small-island2.jpg

21-01-20-Small-island5.jpg

21-01-20-Small-island3.jpg

21-01-20-Small-island4.jpg

OP
OP
Alex Costa

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, after almost a year, I measured my Nitrates and the result was 3 ppm.
From 3/28/19 until last month it was around 5ppm, having a peak (intended to verify the effects on dinoflagellates) of 20ppm.
The corals were already showing me this change that I saw today with the test, through a change in color.

Yesterday I started the dosage of Nopox DIY (Randy Homes recipe).
20 ml per day, daily. I must continue this first week and, depending on the result of the Nitrate test next week, drop to 10 ml or keep it that way.

I have a Phosphorous colorimeter from Hanna in transit and this year I should pay more attention to Nitrates and Phosphates.
The tank entered the fourth year of assembly and keeping these 2 parameters in order became more difficult than it was in the first 2 years.

I intend to keep Nitrate between 0 and 2ppm and phosphate between 0 and 0.02ppm.

Coincidence or not, in the last 10 days I started to dose the Reef Snow DIY daily.
Coincidence or not, again, I noticed a reduction in the evolution of green cyanos, which appeared weekly in some points of the rocks.
I intend to make a new preparation and continue with dosing, now every other day ....

After the arrival of my ICP test result, I changed my Partial Water Change scheme, which was already foreseen (nothing to do with the test result) ......
I went back to making biweekly WC, of 100 liters.

I also went back to using some AF products .........
- Vitality - 20 drops - 2x / week
- Fluorine - 20 drops - 1x / week
- Energy - 20 drops - 1x / week
- Micro E - 20 drops - 1x / week

I also intend to dose again Amino Mix, Strontium, Iodum, Iron and maybe, Phito Mix.

This should take me back to the maintenance routine I had in 2018, a year in which the tank was at its best.
In June I must do another ICP test, just to have an idea of the effect of these changes on the test result.

OP
OP
Alex Costa

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feeding schedule has changed a lot in the last month, due to the arrival of a Naso Blonde and 3 new wrasses.
Solorensis (Cirrhilabrus solorensis), Filamented Flasher (Paracheilinus filamentosus) and Carpenter's Flasher (Paracheilinus carpenteri).

They joined my lubock and formed, if not a school, a group that swims all the time together, in the middle of the water column.
It gave me the effect that I pursued trying to put anthias and green chromis with an huuuuge advantage: they are resistant fish.
Interestingly, even with a considerable increase in the frequency of feeding, with the aim of fattening newcomers, my Nitrate level dropped.

The bad news is that I added an Exquisite wrasse to the group, but it only lasted a week.
I believe that for some problem in the capture / transport.
I should try another one in a while.

OP
OP
Alex Costa

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this month I brought the first Naso tang, a Blonde, from a LFS that I trust a lot.
A male of about 10 ~ 12 cm that arrived well, feeding on dry food, shrimp and Nori, and that adapted almost immediately.

Sunday came a female, a Lituratus of more than 15cm.
Upon arrival there was a certain tension between them and I spent a good part of the day feeding them both, to divert the tension from each other.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back