Reccomendations for: Powerhead / gyre / wave maker

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as title says I’m looking for some recommendations for some circulation.

-Price matters
-Would like a wireless or magnet driven ( don’t know the correct term here). Don’t want a cable hanging out. Just installed some screen tops and wouldn’t want them to bind or have to drill through them as I keep fish prone to jumping
-noise
-reliability
- some controls or variable settings would be nice but not as important as above

Local store keeps eco tech, sicce, and rose mount if anyone has experience with them

Tank is 120g, trigger 32 sump, mag 12 pump with dual returns , one with a “T” so 3 outlets total. Keeping a mixed reef.

Thanks for the input

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as title says I’m looking for some recommendations for some circulation.

-Price matters
-Would like a wireless or magnet driven ( don’t know the correct term here). Don’t want a cable hanging out. Just installed some screen tops and wouldn’t want them to bind or have to drill through them as I keep fish prone to jumping
-noise
-reliability
- some controls or variable settings would be nice but not as important as above

Local store keeps eco tech, sicce, and rose mount if anyone has experience with them

Tank is 120g, trigger 32 sump, mag 12 pump with dual returns , one with a “T” so 3 outlets total. Keeping a mixed reef.

Thanks for the input

Only wireless (wire on outside of tank) is the Echotech Vortech. Those come with a price tag of $$$. Also with a price tag of $$$ are the Maxspect Gyres. They move a ton of water in a sheet style rather than a cone.

After those come a whole host of controllable wavemakers/powerheads. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-plumbing/aquarium-powerhead-pumps.html

Not included on the big box sites are the affordable Jebao (Chinese branded) wavemakers and powerheads. Price range would be $. Lots of folks use these with plenty of success, but they do come with some reliability issues if you check reviews. These can be found readily on Amazon.

If price is your deciding factor, I recommend the Jebao. I have three of these, with two being in use for over two years. My 90g has three PP8, so I recommend the next size up and at least a pair for a 120g.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you decide you can deal with cord inside tank then take a look at the reefbreeders RP-M wave makers. Very affordable compared to the AI Neros and big wide flow

I took off my vortechs and threw on a couple waveline pucks and actually like the ability to direct the flow. I've been through 4 vortechs over the years and they all have had rusting impeller shaft issues. Also was tired of working around the outside cords when cleaning the galss. The cord on the pucks are off the inner glass so i can work the magnet/scraper around it easily.

Only thing about the pucks is they stick out a bit more than i like but i feel it still looks good.

i run a gyre off the back and the two pucks off the sides. great broad-random flow for my cube

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Interested if someone has some experience with the rossmonts?

U

User1

View Badges
I didn't see requirements such as controller connectivity, its own controller, wave functions or patterns, cycles, etc. I won't even get into maintenance requirements such as time between cleanings, etc. For example while Jebao is affordable and cheap it has a rather high fall off as it becomes dirty or algae buildup. Conversely the pair I had with a additional cable allowed connectivity to my Reef Angel controller for some pretty amazing tidal and nutrient export wave patterns. So yes cheap, yes to high maintenance, but also great adjustability. I considered / treated them has throw away items if they failed due to price and over the course of say 3 years I had one fail. Not too bad.

Maxspect Gyre's do move a lot of water and the XF250 is probably the right one to buy based on the models release, price, and water movement. However, they are large. They are have their own controller which once learned works with a lot of flexibility. They move a lot of water. They also allow different blade combinations which make it even more unique when combined with horizontal or vertical placement for varying water flows (forward, reverse, etc). Built in pre-set patters work. Sync, anti sync, random, pulse, etc. I have a pair on my 210 gallon but recently took one out since it was a bit much. Now I use one for a spare in between cleanings. Makes life easier.

Sea Swirls which connect to your return. No wires. Great product. Add a random flow generator / nozzle on the end and get some great water movement. Probably the cleanest solution out there if you can plumb it in. Not cheap but they just work.

Vortec MP's. I don't own them. I own the Gyre and Sea Swirls. Having said that and looking at them prior to buying the Gyres they are the Ford F150 of power heads. They are built like a truck. They last. They require the least about of maintenance that I've read when comparing. I've seen heavily corraline algae encrusted MP's still producing the same amount of water movement compared to new in one LFS near me. That was their demo. While again I don't own I would say they are pretty much the leaders in this area although it comes with a price.

So that is my tank. I've owned Jebao's RW4 and 8's thus my opinion on maintenance and fall off. I did like them with my controller. Maxspect Gyre's I own, and like. Lots of options but my number one drawback is the controller. I am tired of controllers and I already have one - I don't need another. Nor do I like the fact that I need to buy a interface/converter for each Grye I want to control. That is beyond stupid in this day and age but - they move water. Vortec, don't own but like them, their durability, and constant power out put. Sea Swirls - I own a pair of 1" and love them. Great product. I still have a 3/4" from 2000. They work great.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see requirements such as controller connectivity, its own controller, wave functions or patterns, cycles, etc. I won't even get into maintenance requirements such as time between cleanings, etc. For example while Jebao is affordable and cheap it has a rather high fall off as it becomes dirty or algae buildup. Conversely the pair I had with a additional cable allowed connectivity to my Reef Angel controller for some pretty amazing tidal and nutrient export wave patterns. So yes cheap, yes to high maintenance, but also great adjustability. I considered / treated them has throw away items if they failed due to price and over the course of say 3 years I had one fail. Not too bad.

Maxspect Gyre's do move a lot of water and the XF250 is probably the right one to buy based on the models release, price, and water movement. However, they are large. They are have their own controller which once learned works with a lot of flexibility. They move a lot of water. They also allow different blade combinations which make it even more unique when combined with horizontal or vertical placement for varying water flows (forward, reverse, etc). Built in pre-set patters work. Sync, anti sync, random, pulse, etc. I have a pair on my 210 gallon but recently took one out since it was a bit much. Now I use one for a spare in between cleanings. Makes life easier.

Sea Swirls which connect to your return. No wires. Great product. Add a random flow generator / nozzle on the end and get some great water movement. Probably the cleanest solution out there if you can plumb it in. Not cheap but they just work.

Vortec MP's. I don't own them. I own the Gyre and Sea Swirls. Having said that and looking at them prior to buying the Gyres they are the Ford F150 of power heads. They are built like a truck. They last. They require the least about of maintenance that I've read when comparing. I've seen heavily corraline algae encrusted MP's still producing the same amount of water movement compared to new in one LFS near me. That was their demo. While again I don't own I would say they are pretty much the leaders in this area although it comes with a price.

So that is my tank. I've owned Jebao's RW4 and 8's thus my opinion on maintenance and fall off. I did like them with my controller. Maxspect Gyre's I own, and like. Lots of options but my number one drawback is the controller. I am tired of controllers and I already have one - I don't need another. Nor do I like the fact that I need to buy a interface/converter for each Grye I want to control. That is beyond stupid in this day and age but - they move water. Vortec, don't own but like them, their durability, and constant power out put. Sea Swirls - I own a pair of 1" and love them. Great product. I still have a 3/4" from 2000. They work great.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for the input

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a couple of their mover 1200's a while ago and returned them because they both kept starting in reverse. that was a while ago and they may have fixed that issue, but i wont buy again.

just me though ;-)

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
DudeBruh

DudeBruh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a couple of their mover 1200's a while ago and returned them because they both kept starting in reverse. that was a while ago and they may have fixed that issue, but i wont buy again.

just me though ;-)
the Icecap gyre are MUCH cheaper than the maxspect ones and move a ton of water. I have one of the 1K and even at 100% it was pretty much silent and moved crazy amounts of water even though it claims 1000gph only. Can get the 1k for $130 and 3k for $150 for your size tank i would say the 3k model
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-plumbing/aquarium-powerhead-pumps/icecap.html

Thanks for the feedback. Was leaning towards the ice caps or rossmonts. This may have made my decision :)

Was concerned for the operating issues of the rossmonts and the noise of the icecaps, however both seem to be past issues

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 2 cents. Gyros always break for me, my Ice Cap did not last long when on jf the bushing or so broke. I ordered replacement and once again in a few month it was done. On the other hand, I have not had any issues with my Jebso RW-8 or PP-8. I have had my RW-8 for 3 years and PP-8 for 2. I clean them every 8 monthish.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
gyros always go in my stomach.
Didnt you get the bag with all the extra parts? they had extra bushings and things in there when others would wear out.
I have never had any issues with Jebao either they just need cleaned more often as they slow down alot when dirty.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back