Recommendations for RODI system?

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm looking for recommendations for a RODI system. I'm on well water, and according to the TDS meter I just bought, the water is at 11 TDS. I need something that can be hooked up to a faucet or garden hose, as I don't have the space under any of my sinks to attach one permanently. I haven't bought my tank yet, but the size will be between 40-50 gallons. I'd prefer to keep the cost cheap, preferably under $150. Thank you for any help!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take this and mount it to a board with some sort of legs. It comes with the adapter that screws onto a hose

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take this and mount it to a board with some sort of legs. It comes with the adapter that screws onto a hose
I second this. I bought one from BRS and am thrilled with it.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Life RO Buddie from Amazon $60

I got this RO/DI unit on Amazon and it suits my needs for my Fluval Evo 13.5. I filled up a 50 gallon drum and has so far lasted me 3 months and i haven't used half of the drum yet.

+1. I got an evo as well and this is what I use. I ended up getting a 29 gallon brute to fill with my RO buddy.

also got this to make sure my TDS is in range.
HM Digital TRM-1, 3X 1/4" Tee, Triple Inline TDS PPM Monitor/Meter

Last edited:

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 is pretty good. If you are on on your own well, you may not need the dechlorinator block, and if you already have a sediment filter for your well, you might not need that either. You could call an RO specific vendor (I used air water ice, but there are others) and they can fit you with exactly what you need - for example, if you only need the RO and DI, that will be smaller and cheaper. FYI - mine is in the garage. I did have to bring it inside when we had a few days of freezing weather.
You'll find a few people don't use them if they have good source water. Others consider that heresy. You migth search for those folks that are succesful without them and see if your water is comparable.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Life RO Buddie from Amazon $60

I got this RO/DI unit on Amazon and it suits my needs for my Fluval Evo 13.5. I filled up a 50 gallon drum and has so far lasted me 3 months and i haven't used half of the drum yet.

I have one of these and it works but is hit or miss. I had to replace the DI section because it started leaking an flooded my garage. Checked the instructions and it says you are not supposed to leave it unattended. To me that is crazy and I now set my timer and make sure I shut off the water supply when it is done even though I have a float valve.

I will be replacing this when the BRS 4 stage unit goes on sale.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
TDS @ 11 from a well? Is this definitely correct?

I would expect well water to be much higher in TDS. Can you borrow another meter and re-test?

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS and AquaFX make great units. I do not like the format of the Aquaticlife ones because you will always have to get the parts from them. BRS and AquaFX are using standard size parts so filter replacements will work between the brands. AquaFX is local to me, but if BRS has a sale on media I can also use their items as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Spectra Pure
BRS
Air, water and Ice

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copy the BRS one but buy all the parts off ebay, been using their membranes and containers now for 25 years without a single hiccup. you can use 2 or 3 membranes as a water saver if you get into this. 150 should buy all you need. The digital read out required, like the one posted above. I have the 2 channel one. --------------------------- So you need not want 1 pre filter and canister 5m typical, then 2 carbon filters 5 to 10M, and canister, then one DI cartridge/canister with some good resin.------------------You have low TDS like me, you will love having your filter and media lasting years, and membranes only get changed every decade at best. If you get the chance get a second membrane and run dual set up in series. Thank me later. Your best bet is to mount all this to a small piece of plywood and cut a handle so you can move it outside and have a hose hookup, and you can buy cheap 1/4 tubing you can run to a trash can for water storage.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS and AquaFX make great units. I do not like the format of the Aquaticlife ones because you will always have to get the parts from them. BRS and AquaFX are using standard size parts so filter replacements will work between the brands. AquaFX is local to me, but if BRS has a sale on media I can also use their items as well.
In their defense, they’re easily attainable on Amazon and the di resin can be replaced with whichever brand of your choosing (the canister unscrews). Last I checked my tds monitor, I had 166 at supply, 9 after membrane and, zero tds final product. My 29 gallon is consistently full. I do shut off supply water when float is satisfied. For the price point…..I have no complaints.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS @ 11 from a well? Is this definitely correct?

I would expect well water to be much higher in TDS. Can you borrow another meter and re-test?
I was surprised too. I measured it twice - the first time it said 9, the 2nd time it said 11. I also measured Purified bottled water - 2 and Distilled bottled water - 0. I'm not on an artisian or spring well or anything, so I'm a little dubious of the low reading.

jcates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am on well water and started my RODI journey with the BRS 4 stage unit. What I would look at is what you have in front of that in you home. If your home is run with a pressure tank you are not going to get as consistent of pressure most switches are 55/35 psi I believe. Meaning the max pressure you would ever achieve is 55 psi but that drops off as you run water and doesn't boost back up until 35 psi. So you may need a booster pump for any RODI unit to run as efficiently as possible.

I am pretty confident that a BRS 4 stage would get you what you desire either way it is just a matter of how efficient the unit operates. I am probably a little over the top but my water comes from well is chlorine injected, then runs through a big charcoal filter for the whole house, then softener before it ever gets to the rodi unit. I expanded that you a 7 stage with a smart buddie booster were all the resins are separate and really now the blue is burning much faster than the others so in the standard mixed bed you toss out extra resin but it's easier to manage.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on rain water and my TDS runs about 11 also.
Its good to have water that clean as a starting point.
I use a multi stage unit.
Here in Texas well water is a bit high in TDS.
Well water in places can be high in Co2 which will have you burning thru DI resin.
Bottle and sell your water

Banzai_Bandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the BRS 4 Stage 75 gallon plus system and so far it's working as advertise. My only concern is the waste water vs. good water. I was thinking buying the "Water Saver" upgrade kit but one of the requirements is they recommend 65PSI, I'm running right at 60PSI....my question is this. Will this upgrade system work for my system even though I'm at 60PSI. Or should I install a booster pump first?
Thank you, Banzai_Bandit

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back