recommendations for starfish

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to add a starfish to my reef tank i know most starfish dont do well in aquariums and die usually can anyone recommend one that has better success in reef tanks?

Last edited:

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought red fromia starfish from my LFS three times. One only lasted a year, the others lasted 2 -3 years. I have an old, dirty tank with a lot of rock and acclimated them very slowly.

Even though they're called red fromia, they were a solid orange in color. Looking online, I think the species was Fromia milleporella. They are very active and colorful and out all the time.

I'm not sure how they'd ship, but the LFS must've gotten them somehow.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, one more thing I forgot to mention. I think you can sort of read starfish health by looking at the tips of the arms. If the arms are sticking to the glass or the rock all the way to the tip, the starfish is in full health. If the tips are curled a bit or not sticking and adhering to the surface the starfish is on, it is not as healthy.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought red fromia starfish from my LFS three times. One only lasted a year, the others lasted 2 -3 years. I have an old, dirty tank with a lot of rock and acclimated them very slowly.

Even though they're called red fromia, they were a solid orange in color. Looking online, I think the species was Fromia milleporella. They are very active and colorful and out all the time.

I'm not sure how they'd ship, but the LFS must've gotten them somehow.
im leaning towards that red fromia starfish thanks

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally only two real starfish that do okay in the reef hobby(so im excluding chocolates and the like since they arent reef safe) that i know of are the Linckia Sea star and the red fromia.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally only two real starfish that do okay in the reef hobby(so im excluding chocolates and the like since they arent reef safe) that i know of are the Linckia Sea star and the red fromia.
Out of those the red formia are ones that will survive the longest in the tank

Last edited:

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im leaning towards that red fromia starfish thanks

Are you going to order online or do you think you can find one in Atlanta?

You must have some pretty good LFS in Atlanta.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serpent/brittle stars. i had a serpent for a couple years and it was one of the hardiest critters in my tank. Dang dinoflagellate toxins killed it grrr. But yeah they are very easy to keep, just feed it a chunk of fish or shrimp every so often.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had my share of fromias, they havent done well for me and dont last too long. serpent stars on the other hand are great and do well in my tank and others. i picked up a nardoa star and it is doing really well too, my most recent addition was a red linckia that seems to be doing great. but fromia's... not the best luck for me

Back