Recommended Nori Brand? Tangs spitting Nori out

gregdepot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have the Omega One Green Super Veggie Seaweed, the Tomato & Cinnamon Clownfish and Blue Throat Trigger will eat it. The other fish including a Mimic and Sailfin Tang will just spit it out if they can be convinced to try it in the first place. I have not tried other brands. Mostly brown algae (possibly Diatoms?) is growing on the rocks and is out competing the green algae, the Sailfin tang does eat brown stuff all day but I have not seen the Mimic tang touch it. I have not tried other brands or colors of Nori, but was curious what is most likely to work before buying a bunch that the Tangs won't eat when its mainly for them.

Stocking list if it helps.
Sailfin Tang
Mimic Tang
Blue Throat Trigger
Pyramid butterfly
Lamark's Angel
Springers Damsel
Tomato Clown
Cinnamon Clown
6 Line Wrasse

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding this for a couple of years. Tangs and triggers love it. Sometimes I'll add some selcon and Zoe for vitamins but not always. Cheap and all are fat and healthy so I guess it's good for them. I feed a lot of other foods as well

Screenshot_20220911-124959_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
gregdepot

gregdepot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill keep this in mind, using Marine Vitachem, feeding various frozen and dried foods. My main concern is the Mimic tang getting enough Algae content

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed two littles fishes green and purple algae sheets and my tang and butterfly munch it up. But as mentioned above the generic seaweed is basically the same thing and would work.

If you are worried your tang is not getting enough algae, I also feed Aquaforest Liquid Vege, Aquaforest Calanidae Clips, and EasyReefs Mass stick to give a bit of variety for the seaweed side of the food. My tang and butterfly eat all three of those up.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed two littles fishes green and purple algae sheets and my tang and butterfly munch it up. But as mentioned above the generic seaweed is basically the same thing and would work.

If you are worried your tang is not getting enough algae, I also feed Aquaforest Liquid Vege, Aquaforest Calanidae Clips, and EasyReefs Mass stick to give a bit of variety for the seaweed side of the food. My tang and butterfly eat all three of those up.
What type of butterfly do you have? I've had a copperband for about 5 months that eats like a pig but will only eat frozen mysis and sometimes pick at LRS.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of butterfly do you have? I've had a copperband for about 5 months that eats like a pig but will only eat frozen mysis and sometimes pick at LRS.
Heniochus Butterfly, he eats everything. Kind of surprised in the beginning when he started to eat nori. He ends up eating more nori than my tang.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same nori they sell for human consumption is what I use. Have to imagine the stuff they hock for fish is the same thing just more expensive.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back