Recommended wavemaker and light for dropoff tank?

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently ordering a custom made drop-off tank 100cm long 40cm short part 60cm for the deeper part and 35 for the depth (not the exact dimension because the one who made the aquarium might tinker with it a bit but roughly that size) which would be around 50-60 gallons? I'm looking for a wave maker that would be suitable for this type of tank. I have a Vortech Mp10 from my old biocube 16. I was thinking of maybe a maxspect like on my 210? or maybe more vortechs, not sure which kind and how many. For the lightining, i have a Hydra 32 from my biocube too which i will be moving here, i want the tank to be mostly SPS or at least mixed. how many hydras should i put on the tank?

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 2 weeks away from my custom drop-off arriving and will be doing some flow testing and uploading the results on R2R.

My tank is 120cm long so slightly larger than what you had in mind, but similar all the same.

Because of its size mine will be of 15mm glass, so an MP10 would not work. I went for the Maxspect XF330 gyres.

How far away are you from getting your tank?

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 2 weeks away from my custom drop-off arriving and will be doing some flow testing and uploading the results on R2R.

My tank is 120cm long so slightly larger than what you had in mind, but similar all the same.

Because of its size mine will be of 15mm glass, so an MP10 would not work. I went for the Maxspect XF330 gyres.

How far away are you from getting your tank?
About a week or 3 im still doing some renovating of the room before the tank gets sent here. It is going to be in the middle of the room not touching anything so i don’t want too many wave makers in the back since it can be seen from 3 sides.

Are you going to use one or two 330s? I wonder if i will need another smaller wave maker for the dropoff part or if the gyre will reach it and give it enough flow if so, i don’t think i need the mp10 at the bottom.

goodluck on your tank!

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a dual XF330 and mine will go either side of the weir box.

The drop isn't significant enough to worry about requiring anything in the drop off end.

What is your glass thickness? I seen an off the shelf one of these in 10mm glass of the size you're talking about.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a dual XF330 and mine will go either side of the weir box.

The drop isn't significant enough to worry about requiring anything in the drop off end.

What is your glass thickness? I seen an off the shelf one of these in 10mm glass of the size you're talking about.
My glass is 10mm.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much like this?

clearseal.PNG

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so you can place the power heads either side of the weir box and it should create a good flow around either side, get to the end where the two currents meet, create some turbulence and then head back down the middle, over the aquascape and down the weir.

This is theory, I do need to test this out as soon as my tank arrives, but I will document what it does.

I plan on having the powerheads alternating their flow pattern slightly to shift the point of turbulence to randomise the flow and try to keep things as natural as possible.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so you can place the power heads either side of the weir box and it should create a good flow around either side, get to the end where the two currents meet, create some turbulence and then head back down the middle, over the aquascape and down the weir.

This is theory, I do need to test this out as soon as my tank arrives, but I will document what it does.

I plan on having the powerheads alternating their flow pattern slightly to shift the point of turbulence to randomise the flow and try to keep things as natural as possible.
Ill try doing that. looking forward to see the results of your tank. if you do make a build thread for it I would be interested in following its progression as I progress through mine too.

oops think i found the drop off tank thread you posted.

Last edited:

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have been waiting a looooong time for it o_O and will post videos of the flow testing I do, as there were a few others interested in those results. I am assured it will be with me in a matter of weeks now, so not much longer to wait. I have all of the equipment lined up as well, so can get straight into the build for it.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have been waiting a looooong time for it o_O and will post videos of the flow testing I do, as there were a few others interested in those results. I am assured it will be with me in a matter of weeks now, so not much longer to wait. I have all of the equipment lined up as well, so can get straight into the build for it.
looking forward to it!

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like my tank will be arriving next week. How are you getting on with the arrival of yours?
It will be arriving around the middle of this week, or next week. haven't been on for a while since i was working on the room the tank will be in. I think i will start a build thread on it.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine arrived, any sign of yours?

20210317_194444.jpg
it will be arriving this week, it is done but they are currently leak testing the tank. The dimensions changed a bit as the room is done now I will update the tank dimensions once it has arrived.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back