Red/brown hair algae everywhere while treating chemiclean

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am treating chemiclean rn, using an air stone, and I came home from school to this
I have 1 urchin, and 1 Mexican turbo snail for cleaning(and 5 Nass snails)
livestock: 1 frogspawn, one Krusty the clown, several rasta zoa polyps, a stylo, and a monti
this is a 2 month old 11.4 gallon aio tank
and im not joking when im saying its everywhere, the ground is now red, my white rock looks like red glue is peeling off of it, my urchin has brown algae on its spike tips and ye
IMG_9292.jpeg
IMG_9291.jpeg
IMG_9290.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stewy14 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't be using harsh chemicals on a brand new tank. You just killed off what little biome you had in there.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used chemiclean before, crazy skimmer but no armageddon ….
and tbh there are other ways just as easy if not safer….
try a few things like changing/increasing flow, or even consistent blasting with a power head worked for me…
Heck water changes work eventually..

I did a upclose on that green patch; chuck that stuff now…I also didn’t notice a lot of grazing snails (I see only 1) …I’d cop a few more, maybe even a urchin

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used chemiclean before, no armageddon but tbh there are other ways just as easy if not safer….
try a few things like changing/increasing flow, or even consistent blasting with a power head worked for me…
Heck water changes work eventually
ok, should I water change rn? or should I keep the chemiclean in? or should I take out the zoas that introduced the algae in the first place?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, should I water change rn? or should I keep the chemiclean in? or should I take out the zoas that introduced the algae in the first place?
see new edited post, I clarified it a lil better…
leave the zoas, if in your estimation it’s a risk then hit that zoa with a shot of 3% peroxide…usually they survive
…if you so desire:
You can always JUST change water to fix 90% of tank water quality issues ( besides disease)
…I’ve only used Chemiclean when all else failed and/or just lazy …BUT the tank was older …
be advised skimmer will go nuts
I’d skip it …

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used chemiclean before, crazy skimmer but no armageddon ….
and tbh there are other ways just as easy if not safer….
Heck water changes work eventually..

I did a upclose on that green patch; chuck that stuff now…I also didn’t notice a lot of grazing snails (I see only 1) …I’d cop a few more, maybe even a urchin
wait, what green patch? the one on the white rock, those are the zoas I was talking about

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leave the zoas, if in your estimation it’s a risk then hit that zoa with a shot of 3% peroxide…usually they survive
…if you so desire:
You can always JUST change water to fix 90% of tank water quality issues ( besides disease)
…I’ve only used Chemiclean when all else failed and/or just lazy …BUT the tank was older …
I’d skip it …
I dont have a skimmer, just did water change, had to vacuum some of the sand, but the sand came out in patches

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I full cycled it in a week, this just appeared after 2 months and some people said that chemiclean was fine
So idk lol
Harsh chemicals are a last resort and definitely not good for a 2 month tank. You are going to experience a variety of ugly phases throughout your first year and perhaps beyond. The best course of action in a new nano tank is weekly water changes with sand siphon. Reduce lights to 6 hours blue and uv only no whites. Increase flow to affected areas on the sand.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harsh chemicals are a last resort and definitely not good for a 2 month tank. You are going to experience a variety of ugly phases throughout your first year and perhaps beyond. The best course of action in a new nano tank is weekly water changes with sand siphon. Reduce lights to 6 hours blue and uv only no whites. Increase flow to affected areas on the sand.
for the lights tho, rmbr its a stylo, froggy and monti tho, and zoas, so dont those need high?(I have a k7mini so could u provide settings for blue, violet and white up to 100% in that order plz?)

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…if you so desire:
I’d skip it …
how much peroxide? a shot glass full, or like 5 drops?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the lights tho, rmbr its a stylo, froggy and monti tho, and zoas, so dont those need high?(I have a k7mini so could u provide settings for blue, violet and white up to 100% in that order plz?)
Blue and uv 100% white 25% but leave white off for now until you handle the cyano. Only run lights for 6 hours for coral.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ummm, its a k7mini rmbr, on a 11.4 gallon cube, wouldn't that be too strong?
My lights run spectrum like blue and uv at 100% and white at 24%. Separate from spectrum I can set light intensity at what ever percentage I want for desired par level. I have no idea how your lights operate. I was providing spectrum intensity per your request.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights run spectrum like blue and uv at 100% and white at 24%. Separate from spectrum I can set light intensity at what ever percentage I want for desired par level. I have no idea how your lights operate. I was providing spectrum intensity per your request.
how big your tank?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back