user17482

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with this brown hair algae for the longest time. I've even restarted my whole tank and its back! I currently have a small court jester goby, tuxedo urchin, skunk cleaner shrimp and about ten turbo snails and it seems there is no progress. I do weekly 15% water changes and feed my fish daily and the corals twice a week. I have tried manual removal but every time it just spreads even further. My tank is a Red Sea 170 about 37 gallons. I keep nitrates around 10 and phosphate around 12 (keep in mind this is before a water change). If anyone has any tips or need any extra information please let me know. Thank you!

FISH FOOD: mysis
CORAL FOOD: Reef roids and AB+

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What water are you using for water changes? Phosphate is a bit high (I assume you forgot the decimal point) I would back off on feeding AB+ and reefroids should be used sparingly imo.

OP
OP
U

user17482

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using RO water Not RODI and I'll have to double check nitrates and phosphates today. Do you have any information on the sparingly imo? I'm not exactly sure where to get it or what it is. If I do have high nitrates and phosphates would you recommend purchasing macro algae to out compete the hair algae?

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use less ab+ and reef roids.

OP
OP
U

user17482

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to take out a rock that is infested and clean it off. Then do a large scale water change to get the excess and hope that the clean up crew will help out!

OP
OP
U

user17482

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a picture of the tank... how old is it? what corals are in it that you are feeding that heavy?
I have had the tank for 3 years but it has recently just crashed ( do to moving) . I started it up again maybe 2 months ago. I mostly have LPS ( torche's, hammer's, frogspawn's octospawn's Duncan, chalice, acan and blastomussa.) and Softies (Kenya trees, Zoa's clove polyps, green star polyps, jasmine polyps and Florida ricordeas) I feed almost all of the corals when I feed reef roids and broadcast feed refrigerated AB+. Fish stock I have 2 cardinals 2 clowns and a court jester goby. I can get a picture of the tank soon I just finished the water change. I am also going to give an update on the nitrates and phosphates.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back