• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Red Dragon Pump

schprock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the box I had previously packaged the pump in

Attachments

• 8B5444A5-4A28-4EE2-8E87-C26BEFAA408B.jpeg
    8B5444A5-4A28-4EE2-8E87-C26BEFAA408B.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 68

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many people say it is better protected that way.
Controllers are expensive as are motors.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many people say it is better protected that way.
Controllers are expensive as are motors.

I can tell you for a fact the controller can die at anytime just by unplugging it and plugging it back in. Tell me how I know. As it ages it is a total crap shoot. The pump is rock solid it seems, controller not so much. I am talking about royal exclusiv speedys.

I have an RE-RD3-80W-10V red dragon 3 mini speedy 80w DC pump but the controller is currently dead. I am running my 50 watt speedy as a temp replacement which may become permanent.

OP
OP
P

pufferlips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you for a fact the controller can die at anytime just by unplugging it and plugging it back in. Tell me how I know. As it ages it is a total crap shoot. The pump is rock solid it seems, controller not so much. I am talking about royal exclusiv speedys.

I have an RE-RD3-80W-10V red dragon 3 mini speedy 80w DC pump but the controller is currently dead. I am running my 50 watt speedy as a temp replacement which may become permanent.
What size tank are they on? I have an 80Watt but wanted to run dual pumps... well, actually 4 pumps. I was thinking to get dual 50 watt for returns, one 80 watt for media and a 2nd one for UV.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are they on? I have an 80Watt but wanted to run dual pumps... well, actually 4 pumps. I was thinking to get dual 50 watt for returns, one 80 watt for media and a 2nd one for UV.

They are/were both used in a 20 gallon tall sump with the display being a drilled ?60-70?ish gallon. I like running them at lower settings for a dead silent experience. I also have a manifold in this small setup for carbon/gfo. I bought a lot of my stuff years ago so I am giving estimates here on tank size. I forget. Rimless something something with a shadow something overflow box. i forget the drain type name. has 3 pipes. Herbie? no.. well whatever.

They can move a ton of water if you turn them up. I also don't go for that high turnover talk. I move a reasonable amount of water through my sump every hour but nothing insane.

My skimmer is a bubble king as well. A cone with a royal exclusiv pump but not a speedy. It is one of those smaller pumps. Not controllable. Also dead silent as a skimmer can get.

OP
OP
P

pufferlips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are/were both used in a 20 gallon tall sump with the display being a drilled 70 gallon. I like running them at lower settings for a dead silent experience. I also have a manifold in this small setup for carbon/gfo.

They can move a ton of water if you turn them up. I also don't go for that high turnover talk. I move a reasonable amount of water through my sump every hour but nothing insane.

My skimmer is a bubble kind as well. A cone with a royal exclusiv pump but not a speedy. It is one of those smaller pumps. Not controllable. Also dead silent as a skimmer can get.
I also do not plan on having a high turnover rate in my system... if I do either dual or single, pump/s will be 30-50% and I will acheive my water movement with the 6 MP 40's. When the boss (my wife) says she does not want to listen to the noise like my old system. (running total of the Iwaki pumps and a large becket injector skimmer, and fans for the halides and a noisy chiller) she said she does not care about what it costs. so of course doing red dragon pumps all around and just received my BK Deluxe 200 yesterday.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 80 Watt siezed on me. I did not like the impeller showing expansion @ the rear end. Not the 1st time I've seen that.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do not plan on having a high turnover rate in my system... if I do either dual or single, pump/s will be 30-50% and I will acheive my water movement with the 6 MP 40's. When the boss (my wife) says she does not want to listen to the noise like my old system. (running total of the Iwaki pumps and a large becket injector skimmer, and fans for the halides and a noisy chiller) she said she does not care about what it costs. so of course doing red dragon pumps all around and just received my BK Deluxe 200 yesterday.

I am not sure what I would do. Sounds like a bigger tank. It if was me I would just run a single return pump and have a spare handy if your investment in a large tank is that high. I am not a fan of added complexity and a ton of plumbing. But then if you can easily do it more power to you.. meaning dual returns and one can die.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone the "Less expensive" route after loosing 2 Wavelines, having problems with pumps heating the tank to over 80 Degrees. The RD3 Speedy 80W crapped out too. Picked up a used Deepwater BLDC for $50 & it is a pleasure. Just saw an ad for a DC pumps in the same flow rates as most with a 5 yr. warranty.

OP
OP
P

pufferlips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.... I am still looking to buy a Red Dragon return pump.... 50watt - 100 watt.

Please let me know what you have avail.

AZRipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.... I am still looking to buy a Red Dragon return pump.... 50watt - 100 watt.

Please let me know what you have avail.
Make me a fair offer....

By far the finest pump I ever owned. My wife even had a hard time knowing it was on due to how quiet it is. It also has the newer pump head design where it does not use the reverse bolt. It was plugged into an Apex EB8 and never had a lick of problems with it.

Attachments

• Full Pic.jpg
    Full Pic.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Controller.jpg
    Controller.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Head.jpg
    Head.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Label.jpg
    Label.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 39

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new unused abyss a200 if interested, I’d make a heck of a deal on it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back