Red ogo turning green

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Red Ogo (from Algae Barn) also turned green under a Kessil H80 Tuna with the Color value set to Grow and the Intensity about 40% on an 8 hour nightly schedule.

Seabiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to macro algae, this is my first try with red ogo. Added maybe a week ago and it’s almost entirely green now. Too much or too little light?
If you have multiple plants, you can try placing them at different heights/areas of the tank to see how they respond to lighting.

Brad Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Ogo (from Algae Barn) also turned green under a Kessil H80 Tuna with the Color value set to Grow and the Intensity about 40% on an 8 hour nightly schedule.
I too have the h80 tuna flora and when my red ogo came in it was partly green. I tinkered with the light the first week. I'm running it 9 hours on grow at 100% intensity and have red ogo now. From what I found researching red ogo it turns green if not enough intense light. It grows in shallow streams and estuaries so the sun beats on it all day in the wild.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew red Ogo with 10K gallon mariculture capacity in a greenhouse with 50% light transmission polyfilm and two layers of 50% shade cloth: resultant PAR value at noon > 2500. It was my goal to sell Red Ogo as a food source to high end Asian restaurants. Because I used Trinity Aquifier water which was high in sulfur, the mineral content multiplier of macro algae created a bitter sulfur taste.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew Gracilaria Parvispora & Tikvahiae commercially, it does not have roots. Not sure what bloggers sell as Red Ogo. My suggestion on aquascaping would be to sandwich it with rock.

[See if you can identify what you are calling red ogo.
Index of Red Macroalgae
The genus Rhodophyta is the largest and most diverse group of tropical and temperate marine algae with more than 2,000 species worldwide. Their dominant pigment is phycoerythrin, which gives off rich shades of red, orange and blue. Red macro algae are some of the most varied and striking of all marine algae and are highly sought after as aquarium specimens. Identification can be difficult in some species, such as Gracilaria, and some have slight variations depending on the location and depth. Although this index is not a complete listing, it represents species that are commonly available or sought after by marine aquarists. As new species become available to the industry they will be added.]

Russ Kronwetter is diver/owner of Gulf Coast EcoSystems and he wrote the layman’s guide on macro algae.

"Marine Plants in The Aquarium" is an online resource for the identification and care of marine macroalgae and seagrasses in the saltwater aquarium. The guide features over 70 of the most commonly available species of marine plants with full color photographs, detailed descriptions and aquarium care. Many of the species included in the guide are available to purchase online from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. Click on each link below to begin the exploration.

Table of Contents

About The Author Introduction Marine Plants In The Aquarium
The Refugium Substrates Selecting Quality Plants
Aquascapes Lighting Reproductive Cycle
Filtration Nutrients Maintenance
Case For Caulerpa Green Macroalgae Red Macroalgae
Brown Macroalgae Seagrass Mangroves
References Glossary Online Articles
So do I even have to wedge/glue/tie to substrate if this is the case? Could I simply toss it in the fuge and let it grow as it pleases?

Seabiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I even have to wedge/glue/tie to substrate if this is the case? Could I simply toss it in the fuge and let it grow as it pleases?
I glue it onto small movable rocks because it is in my display tank and would eventually end up on the sand bed if I didn't since I have fish. For a fuge, just toss it in. Keep an eye on it to make sure it stays in the fuge and doesn't get sucked into filter pipes.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glue it onto small movable rocks because it is in my display tank and would eventually end up on the sand bed if I didn't since I have fish. For a fuge, just toss it in. Keep an eye on it to make sure it stays in the fuge and doesn't get sucked into filter pipes.
Sweet, so if it’s laying flat should I just flip it every couple of days?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to ask, are the flow requirements for red ogo really as high as they say? If I don’t connect it to substrate, do I need to have it tumbling? Or would the natural flow of my sump suffice?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a generalization, algae growth is maximized with the least amount of electricity at a 4:1 ratio of red to blue. For viewing, I like 10K. For eye popping fire engine red, increase intensity with particular emphasis on white. The end goal for color rendition would be 6500-10,000K.

This is what Russ Kronwetter at GCE says:

[This particular species features long, cylindrical, alternating branches that are attached by a single holdfast. The coloration varies depending on the depth collected and ranges from bright red to yellow or green. Gracilaria Parvispora is by far the most popular species of Red Gracilaria used among marine aquarists today. It' i easily grown under a variety of conditions and provides an excellent food source to many herbivorous fish and invertebrates. It is typically not as attractive as other varieties of Gracilaria, but has enjoyed a long history of use in the refugium filter of reef aquariums worldwide. Many have had success growing good quantities in both small culture tanks and large scale aquaculture with this hardy variety.]
Can you grow it fine just by tumbling? I apologize for all of the questions here. I’ve never been the best at growing macro. I had mine free floating but the powerhead chewed it up. I built a little cage around the powerhead and finally have a nice tumble around the ogo. Hoping I’ll be able to sustain growth. I bought more just in case.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, that would be sufficient. However, you will not maximize the nutrient export per unit volume as opposed to a tumble culture which is three dimensional with respect to light distribution.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that would be sufficient. However, you will not maximize the nutrient export per unit volume as opposed to a tumble culture which is three dimensional with respect to light distribution.
Cool, I have it tumbling. It keeps getting latched onto the rock in my sump/baffle overflow though since it doesn't clump like chaeto.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I have it tumbling. It keeps getting latched onto the rock in my sump/baffle overflow though since it doesn't clump like chaeto.

Commercial growers of seaweed customize growout tank geometry. In my case, I used long narrow tanks (55G) with a vertical loop current which required air pump & water pump to move water fast enough to keep seaweed in suspension.

On my 120G mixed garden, the 40G sump is wide open with no obstructions. I grow both grape Caulerpa and red Ogo separated by eggcrate barrier. No tumble culture in my algae filter.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Commercial growers of seaweed customize growout tank geometry. In my case, I used long narrow tanks (55G) with a vertical loop current which required air pump & water pump to move water fast enough to keep seaweed in suspension.

On my 120G mixed garden, the 40G sump is wide open with no obstructions. I grow both grape Caulerpa and red Ogo separated by eggcrate barrier. No tumble culture in my algae filter.
I had to set the rock since the powerhead sticks out and the ogo got stuck on the left side of the powerhead. I ended up building a cage around the powerhead which is somewhat working. I might get a piece of plexiglass or something to replace the rock.

LittleFidel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to ask, are the flow requirements for red ogo really as high as they say? If I don’t connect it to substrate, do I need to have it tumbling? Or would the natural flow of my sump suffice?
I have gracillaria in two tanks. In one tank, small pieces have broken off and become lodged in the power heads. These pieces receive direct and intense flow, and seem to grow better than those placed on the substrate.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gracillaria in two tanks. In one tank, small pieces have broken off and become lodged in the power heads. These pieces receive direct and intense flow, and seem to grow better than those placed on the substrate.

It will do fine that way.

I don’t have enough light intensity in my refugium to grow Red Ogo, so I now grow chaeto and grape Caulerpa.

I have a differrent Red Gracilaria from Gulf Coast EcoSystem In my 75G display. I think it is G. cervicornis. Note the color difference as light intensity increases. It is burgundy at the bottom and red cluster to light.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what’s happening to mine. I thought the main intention of flow was to ensure all sides of it receive light? When they are stuck like this, only one sides receives light. Not to mention they are shadowed by the rotating mound of ogo.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post is a bit old but what seems to be the best lighting type for red ogo? It dies under fluval plant 3.0, shows fresh growth in my display with the reefbreeders 24-V2+ and that was at 80% blues and violet, 10% red green and white. Would the fluval marine 3.0 be a better option to go over my two ac110 fuges or should I look into another option?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post is a bit old but what seems to be the best lighting type for red ogo? It dies under fluval plant 3.0, shows fresh growth in my display with the reefbreeders 24-V2+ and that was at 80% blues and violet, 10% red green and white. Would the fluval marine 3.0 be a better option to go over my two ac110 fuges or should I look into another option?

Did this work out for you? I grow lots of Red Ogo in my fuge and sometimes even in separate tank (spoil my tangs with live red ogo treats) using under $4 LED Daylight lightbulb - check the back for 5K spectrum. Lightbulb goes into a $13 shop light with clamp - quality fuge lighting is the cheapest (and simplest) part of my whole hobby

Can't take credit - got info and idea from:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this work out for you? I grow lots of Red Ogo in my fuge and sometimes even in separate tank (spoil my tangs with live red ogo treats) using under $4 LED Daylight lightbulb - check the back for 5K spectrum. Lightbulb goes into a $13 shop light with clamp - quality fuge lighting is the cheapest (and simplest) part of my whole hobby

Can't take credit - got info and idea from:
For a few years I operated AquacultureRanch as a hobby business and as a commercial grower of Red Ogo, Gracilaria Parvispora, in 10K gallon greenhouse mariculture system, I will testify that intensity is more important than spectrum. For grow lights, I use 5000 Kelvin spectrum.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a few years I operated AquacultureRanch as a hobby business and as a commercial grower of Red Ogo, Gracilaria Parvispora, in 10K gallon greenhouse mariculture system, I will testify that intensity is more important than spectrum. For grow lights, I use 5000 Kelvin spectrum.

That is GREAT info - I have been using the 60w LED equivalent with 5000 K bulb (home depot) but you have me wondering if maybe I should try increasing to 100w LED 5K equivalent daylight bulb ... though I'm trying a 24 hour cycle right now and wouldn't want to burn up my macroalgaes. I'm only 1-2 weeks into trying 24 hours, so far so good but too soon for me to say if this is a good approach for my tank.

@Subsea if you have any thoughts on possible wattage increase, given my bulb is only ~8 inches from top of refugium, I'd be grateful.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back