Red ogo turning green

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is GREAT info - I have been using the 60w LED equivalent with 5000 K bulb (home depot) but you have me wondering if maybe I should try increasing to 100w LED 5K equivalent daylight bulb ... though I'm trying a 24 hour cycle right now and wouldn't want to burn up my macroalgaes. I'm only 1-2 weeks into trying 24 hours, so far so good but too soon for me to say if this is a good approach for my tank.

@Subsea if you have any thoughts on possible wattage increase, given my bulb is only ~8 inches from top of refugium, I'd be grateful.

what macro is in your refugium?

Within limits you can increase intensity. If you choose to increase intensity, I would reduce 24 hour lighting. I operate cryptic refugiums with no lights, however I have ornamental seaweeds in most of my tanks which are on 16 hr lighting duration.

case study using Bortacladia, red grapes:

It is collected in 30‘-120’ of water. When I get it from the divers, it is dark burgundy. If shocked with too much light it will lose its flotation balls and disentigrate. As I subject it to more light, it’s color change becomes fire engine red. When subjected to intense light, it turns yellow/orange

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back