Red planet is dying

Debbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our red planet has begun bleaching. I think it's because I accidentally raised alk too quickly. All the other SPS are fine. I've started feeding it daily trying to get it back. Should I just frag the healthy parts or can they survive on the bleached body?
A661777C-185D-4278-AC8D-D1C1C9EC1287.jpeg
E974C2A4-404B-4A44-8BD7-247E0D088D66.jpeg

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think fragging at this point would just cause more stress and likely kill it faster. Fragging a distressed coral is akin to amputation. It's a last resort that is only really recommended for RTN/STN.

Going forward I'd just be absolutely certain (on an obsessive level) to make your changes slowly, and keep as rock-solid levels as you can, and hope for the best. What takes 1 day to upset a coral can sometimes take 2 months before it starts to turn around.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, red planet is pretty temperamental. Looks like quite a bit of tissue is gone already. I’d probably just leave it alone and hope for the best. You could frag one tip off and move a piece to another system as an insurance policy, but I think that would insure the demise of the main colony.

You might want to consider spot feeding with some amino acids daily as well.

OP
OP
Debbie12

Debbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think fragging at this point would just cause more stress and likely kill it faster. Fragging a distressed coral is akin to amputation. It's a last resort that is only really recommended for RTN/STN.

Going forward I'd just be absolutely certain (on an obsessive level) to make your changes slowly, and keep as rock-solid levels as you can, and hope for the best. What takes 1 day to upset a coral can sometimes take 2 months before it starts to turn around.
Thank you. Glad I asked. When I was raising the alk, I forgot to account for the effect of the water change. Lesson learned the hard way.

OP
OP
Debbie12

Debbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, red planet is pretty temperamental. Looks like quite a bit of tissue is gone already. I’d probably just leave it alone and hope for the best. You could frag one tip off and move a piece to another system as an insurance policy, but I think that would insure the demise of the main colony.

You might want to consider spot feeding with some amino acids daily as well.
Oh! Thank you! I hadn't thought of that.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Acro is starving and it looks like it was a recent addition. I know you said all other sps are ok but are those acros? What are your parameters? Export method? Lighting? There might be a chance to save it.

OP
OP
Debbie12

Debbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had it about 3 months. We have Radion XR 30 Pros. It's sitting at about 200 PAR. Just got the alk to 8.1, calcium 400, Mag 1380, no nitrates, PH 8.04. I target feed once a week. I'm target feeding him daily right now trying to save him. Our alk tested low a couple weeks ago and I was in the process of bringing it up. I dosed the same day as our bi-weekly water change without thinking about the effect of the water change and it jumped the alk 1.4 in a single day. I think that's what upset it. There are to many other SPS to name them all; PC rainbow, Miagi Tort, Tyree Rouge etc.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An alk spike of 1.4 won’t do that. Mine jumped to over 40 from a doser malfunction and 99% of my acros were fine, and my alk fluctuates 1.0-1.5 everyday. What is your export method?

OP
OP
Debbie12

Debbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hand dosing. Have only just started addressing their alk needs so trying to figure out the dose before setting up an automatic doser.

OP
OP
Debbie12

Debbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are currently using a skimmer. Phosphates were 0 last time I checked a month ago. Just did a water change last weekend.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are currently using a skimmer. Phosphates were 0 last time I checked a month ago. Just did a water change last weekend.
0 po4 and 0 no3 will eventually kill all your sps. I would turn you skimmer off and start feeding your fish 2-4 times a day and stop changing water until you get your no3 to at least 2.5-5 and po4 0.05 preferably 0.10.

OP
OP
Debbie12

Debbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 po4 and 0 no3 will eventually kill all your sps. I would turn you skimmer off and start feeding your fish 2-4 times a day and stop changing water until you get your no3 to at least 2.5-5 and po4 0.05 preferably 0.10.
I'm in it! Thank you so very much!!

bwomac44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds just like the advice I got at my LFS that resulted in a carpet of cyano over my entire tank.
Going from 0 to 100mph real quick is a bad idea

OP
OP
Debbie12

Debbie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds just like the advice I got at my LFS that resulted in a carpet of cyano over my entire tank.
Going from 0 to 100mph real quick is a bad idea
What would you advise? What worked for you?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back