Red rusty looking....

Bernardhny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday a lack of maintenance on my main return pump caught up with me. While doing a water change I had stopped the pump. When I turned it back on....nothing.

I took the pump out and cleaned it thoroughly. Attached the return line and started it up. Out of the return flow nozzle came so much dirt and debris...it was shocking. Since then the water has been cloudy. Tested the parameters and all is good. Figured the phosphates would be up. Nope .04

I figured I would check out the system just to be sure. My sock was RED. Like a rusty orange red. Changed the sock, cleaned the skimmer, cleaned the foam head of the skimmer pump, the foam in the sump, replaced the chemo - pure sock, changed the gfo and carbon (the filter pads were red and so was the water!

It does not look like algae. Not sure what it was. This weekend I am going to repl a certain the return line and pump hose. I should clean out the overflow but I have never done that yet.

After all that the tank is looking clearer. I could swear it looks like rusty water. Any ideas?

Parameters:

Nitrates: 10 ppm
Phosphate: .04
Alkalinity 179 ppm
Calcium 423
Magnesium 1350
Temp 79.2
[emoji30]

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back