Red Sea 170 O-Ring replacement

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys I'm currently in the middle of trying to replce my O-Rings on my reefer 170 following a leak. I've been watching the video Red Sea provide and it's just going over things too fast and not explaining.

He seems to twist his downflow pipe to release some water form the weir, but mine just will not twist? He also then easily pulls his pipes up from out of the weir, where as mine just wont budge again...

Very confused, any help?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - looks similar (or identical) to my Red Sea 750. You need to remove the locking nuts from the underside of the tank for the overflow pipes. Then you should be able to twist out the pipes in the overflow. They won't budge otherwise.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - looks similar (or identical) to my Red Sea 750. You need to remove the locking nuts from the underside of the tank for the overflow pipes. Then you should be able to twist out the pipes in the overflow. They won't budge otherwise.
These are the ones that look like cogs and are attached at the top of the pipes, seemingly to the glass right? I've tried twisting those ot no avail. So scared of cracking the glass or breaking something.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the ones that look like cogs and are attached at the top of the pipes, seemingly to the glass right? I've tried twisting those ot no avail. So scared of cracking the glass or breaking something.
They're on the underside of the tank, ie: where the overflow pipes connect to the bulkheads. They should just screw off (as per the video) and then the lower overflow piping in the sump should come off (again, per the video). Once those have been removed, then you should be able to (gently) unscrew the upper pipes in the overflow (also per the video).

I believe the 'cogs' in the bottom of the overflow are actually siliconed or glued in-place - so you definitely don't want to force them (because you probably will break something).

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're on the underside of the tank, ie: where the overflow pipes connect to the bulkheads. They should just screw off (as per the video) and then the lower overflow piping in the sump should come off (again, per the video). Once those have been removed, then you should be able to (gently) unscrew the upper pipes in the overflow (also per the video).

I believe the 'cogs' in the bottom of the overflow are actually siliconed or glued in-place - so you definitely don't want to force them (because you probably will break something).
Im completely lost to be honest.

I know exactly where you are speaking about, but no video I've watched mentions anything about untightening those before screwing the pipes loose, they just screw the pipes loose and it's done.

For example at about 4:00 in this video, he just starts unscrewing the pipes directly

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup a reefer 300 and you have to remove the nuts on the bottom of pipes from inside the stand then pipes have to be unscrewed and lifted out from the top. They do show it in the first video. These plastic nut have to be removed then the bottom pipes can be wiggled out. And again the top sections have to be unscrewed and lifted out. It is all shown in the video but maybe becsuse I have set up two of them one being less than a month ago it makes more sense to me?
Screenshot_20230310_095910_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup a reefer 300 and you have to remove the nuts on the bottom of pipes from inside the stand then pipes have to be unscrewed and lifted out from the top. They do show it in the first video. These plastic nut have to be removed then the bottom pipes can be wiggled out. And again the top sections have to be unscrewed and lifted out. It is all shown in the video but maybe becsuse I have set up two of them one being less than a month ago it makes more sense to me?
Screenshot_20230310_095910_Chrome.jpg
@blaxsun

is it this section In the picture I have taken that we are talking about? I see the part you have to unscrew on the main pipe, it’s this bit I never see in the video and seems to be firmly locked in there. Attached directly to the glass seemingly.

ABC392F5-F827-432E-9780-2E209C3E82A7.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun

is it this section In the picture I have taken that we are talking about? I see the part you have to unscrew on the main pipe, it’s this bit I never see in the video and seems to be firmly locked in there. Attached directly to the glass seemingly.

ABC392F5-F827-432E-9780-2E209C3E82A7.jpeg
No that is to the bulk head (?) and they come pre-installed and are threaded on the inside. The pipes coming in from the top thread into the inside threads of those bulkheads. Just twist the pipes out counter clockwise from the top to remove them. There are two sets of threads on the pipe, see the threads on the bottom and then no threads above? Once you unscrew a pipe from the top it will lift up a coulple of inches then you have to unscrew the pipe again for the bottom threads shown in your image. It helps to use a grippy glove or something to turn them out. They don't need to be super tight as the rings perform the sealing. Be careful not to cross thread when reinstalling.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that is to the bulk head (?) and they come pre-installed and are threaded on the inside. The pipes coming in from the top thread into the inside threads of those bulkheads. Just twist the pipes out counter clockwise from the top to remove them. There are two sets of threads on the pipe, see the threads on the bottom and then no threads above? Once you unscrew a pipe from the top it will lift up a coulple of inches then you have to unscrew the pipe again for the bottom threads shown in your image. It helps to use a grippy glove or something to turn them out. They don't need to be super tight as the rings perform the sealing. Be careful not to cross thread when reinstalling.
Ah okay.

So those that I've pointed an arrow to, don't touch them?

1. Unscrew from insiode Weir to loosen
2. Go back underneath and unscrew from the bottom
3. Lift pipe out from the top

Simple as that, and don't touch the bits I've circled, as the pipe will just lift through those I imagine?

Sorry, my tank is second hand and so I think these pipes are really STUCK in there with salt creep as they've not been replaced by myself since I got it a year and a half ago, and then I don't know how long the previous owner had it. So I'm worried of twisting something harder than usual to loosen it, and break it.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unscrew from insiode Weir to loosen
2. Go back underneath and unscrew from the bottom
3. Lift pipe out from the top
Skip step 2. After you get past the first set of threads on the top pipes the pipe will just flop around but will not come out. You need to lift up strait then the threads on the bottom will unscrew and the pipe should be out and then it will all click I think.
It's always harder figuring things out when your not the one that put it together or it's the first time disassembling. As an auto tech I used to hate it when a guy at work would quit on the middle of a big job and my manager would want me to put everything back together. :confounded-face:

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip step 2. After you get past the first set of threads on the top pipes the pipe will just flop around but will not come out. You need to lift up strait then the threads on the bottom will unscrew and the pipe should be out and then it will all click I think.
It's always harder figuring things out when your not the one that put it together or it's the first time disassembling. As an auto tech I used to hate it when a guy at work would quit on the middle of a big job and my manager would want me to put everything back together. :confounded-face:
Hi!

So, I’m still having trouble with this. My pipes just won’t loosen. Any chance you can take a picture/video of your tank in the same areas so I can see how it’s similar?

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pipes legitimately just will NOT twist no matter how hard I try

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pipes legitimately just will NOT twist no matter how hard I try
I really don't know what else to suggest at this point. I wonder if whoever assembled it used some type of thread locker or adhesive because they should all twist out. Have you tried getting a grip on them with some slip joint pliers or similar to see if you can break them free? Don't squeeze hard enough to crush the pipe but it will give you better grip and some leverage. If that doesn't work I'm at a loss, sorry. I'm sure you are but make sure you are turning counter clockwise working from the top. It would be clockwise if working from the bottom there is no reason to work from down there to get the tubes out of the overflow.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

So, I’m still having trouble with this. My pipes just won’t loosen. Any chance you can take a picture/video of your tank in the same areas so I can see how it’s similar?
Has it been leaking since you set it up or had it been running a while. I'm just wondering if it leaked on the previous owner and they maybe used some type of glue or sealer to stop the leak and maybe the pipes are now glued to the bulkheads. Just speculating on possibilities.

20230311_114131.jpg 20230311_114000.jpg

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it been leaking since you set it up or had it been running a while. I'm just wondering if it leaked on the previous owner and they maybe used some type of glue or sealer to stop the leak and maybe the pipes are now glued to the bulkheads. Just speculating on possibilities.

20230311_114131.jpg 20230311_114000.jpg
It started dripping from the main downflow pipe after I moved house with the tank, it was running for a year up to that point so I’ve assumed it’s the O-Rings as I sent a video to Red Sea and they told me to replace those.

I’ve messaged the original owner but unlikely to get a reply. It doesn’t help that my hands are big and I can only get so much tension on the pipes even with rubber gloves lol

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started dripping from the main downflow pipe after I moved house with the tank, it was running for a year up to that point so I’ve assumed it’s the O-Rings as I sent a video to Red Sea and they told me to replace those.

I’ve messaged the original owner but unlikely to get a reply. It doesn’t help that my hands are big and I can only get so much tension on the pipes even with rubber gloves lol
Maybe try a pair of pliers like this it will give you a better grip and some leverage :thinking-face:
20230311_120018.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 109 73.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back