Red Sea 250 Journey

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R! Posted this on my local forum thought I'd post here for everyone. Whelp here goes nothing,

Backstory: Have been told countless times to start a build thread on one of my tanks, so here is the first. I had an aquarium in highschool of 2012, but never had the money or mindset to really get going until about 2 years ago when I started my 24gal. Ever since then I have been lurking on this website and my local one for a little over a year. I'm not very creative so being able to see all your builds gave me everything I needed. This tank being featured was actually bought as an upgrade for my 24gal aquatop. I currently am renting with several other roommates (two of whoom are fellow reefers) and our lease will be up in May of this year. I will be moving back in with my dad to save enough money for a house hopefully not in the fifth ward. Knowing the woes of moving I wanted to be proactive and set up a tank already at the new house (aka my dad's). I probably should not have upgraded so quick or at least been more mindful with my spending, but none of us would be in this hobby if it wasn't for the passion. And dangit I have so much love for this hobby and the people that help the community progress.

The tank: After browsing forums and vendor websites for a few weeks I was about to pull the trigger on a brand new black reefer 170. Was looking for one used, but only found a white Red Sea reefer 250 on marsh reef (local forum). It was a deal of a lifetime if I'm being honest. The tank had been used less than 9 months and taken down due to moving and space issues along with a stubborn wife I presume. So with this reefer 250 came a plethora of goodies and equipment. Most of it is small but the dollars add up quick Hannah checkers/flipper max/BRS two part dosing mix/red sea test kits/ carbon ect... The big ones were a reef Octopus 152-s/Eflux Current USA 1050gph pump that I sold on here (local forum) along with a tub of "goodies". Thanks guys!
IMG_20200120_120044.jpg

IMG_20200123_142134.jpg

The plan: After having a mixed nano tank, I decided to dive into the deep end with a full blown bare bottom sps tank. I don't have unlimited funds, but I will shell out extra dollars for quality with a proven track record. For mechanical filtration I'll use filter pads, along with a Nyos 120.
I just bought the red sea filtration cups that go in replace of the socks on Amazon. For biological filtration I will use the red sea ATO as a refegium. I will use ABS black plastic 1/16 inch to cover the sides to avoid light spillage into the sump. It will double as a frag tank in the coming years when the macro algae(chaeto) is no longer needed. In time I do plan on dosing using Tropic Marine. I will do weekly 10 gallon water changes to replace trace elements and help keep the water in check.

The equipment: Lighting will be two Hydra 26HDs with the 3dreefing diffusers. I already had one so I bought the other off someone on reef2reef. So I sold my return pump and my protein skimmer to you guys guess I gotta go shopping. I had the current USA 660gph wave makers in my 24g. After going through 3 in a little over a year and receiving zero customer support or feedback I decided to never do business with them again hence me selling the perfectly functional Eflux return pump. So after a little debate I pulled the trigger on a new Vectra S2 due to noise reliability and customer service. I would have waited for a sale, but wanted to get plumbing done sooner rather than later. Onto the skimmer, I sold the big boi 152-s because it was way to much for my tank. I am very proactive at changing my filterpads along with a well running fuge I didn't need a big skimmer. I plan on buying a new Nyos 120 when it goes on sale (hopefully presidents day) mainly only because it doesn't put out alot of noise. So onto fuge lighting, I know alot of people try to go above and beyond on fuge light I try to keep it small and simple. I'll be using what's already on both of my nanos, the IM ChaetoMax. It's free of user error, you only need to tune the schedule a few hours +/- according to your tanks bio load. Onto flow, I will be using two MP40QD's (bought from a fellow Marsh reefer) on the back of the glass for most the display turnover. I plan on adding two MP10QD's or tunze pumps to bottom of each corner in the back of the glass to help kick up detritus. After dealing with 2 years of UPS Battery backups crapping out on me usually in less than 4 hours, for me going with ecotech Vortechs was a no brainer. I plan on putting a hydor nano powerhead in the sump to help keep it clean of detritus. For ato container I wanted something that looked nice didn't break the bank and could last me over a week, ladies and gentlemen I present to you a piece of acrylic that isn't insanely overpriced. The choice aquatics 10gal white ATO. Will be using my tunze 3155 ATO for top offs. For heating I'm hoping to use a 200w BRS heater along with a new wifi inkbird controller.

Ikea box: So I went to Ikea looking for a cabinet to house my power strip.
Ikea was pretty cancerous if I'm being honest, PewDiePie hyped it up. Anyway found a perfect kitchen cabinet in the discount hardware section at least that matched my white red sea. I plan on housing all my electrical components and possibly my dosing containers in here in the future.
IMG_20200215_092341.jpg

IMG_20200215_092350.jpg

Wrap up: Super stocked to be apart of this community. I'll try and keep this as up to date as possible while the tank build goes into the finale moving stages. In the meantime here are a bunch of tank pictures in no specific order because I made this post on my phone.

OP
OP
Houstoner

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my S2 and almost got the return plumbing done, hit a snag trying to find a reducer from 3/4inch to 5/8inch. Will be making a trip to marineland tomorrow to get the last piece, here is what I have so far.
IMG_20200218_172020.jpg

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good gear I see and good luck remember patience I know its hard but patience and stability is the key.

OP
OP
Houstoner

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good gear I see and good luck remember patience I know its hard but patience and stability is the key.
I really wanted this gear to hopefully last as long as the tank does. It's going to be about two months before any fish, and from there probably months from any coral but I hear ya. I'm already really excited!!

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals are you looking to grow? And fish?

OP
OP
Houstoner

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals are you looking to grow? And fish?
For corals I'm going mainly sps with some lps maybe crowing out the bottom.

For fish I will be taking my 24gal down and putting them all in there, they consist of:
Black Storm clown x2
Tailspot Blenny
Yellowline Goby
MVIMG_20200218_200526.jpg

I have a royal grama in a barebottom nano 10gallon with a small sharknose goby and I think he would enjoy the space in the 250 better. So I'll buy a firefish for the 10gallon and put him in.
IMG_20200218_201010.jpg

I also plan on adding an ORA or biota yellow tang(they are usually small) until he out grows the tank. Then buy a new one and continue the cycle. Might also add a small anthia for extra poop, but that's still up for debate.

OP
OP
Houstoner

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out I am an idiot. Idk why but yesterday I just had a brain fart. After looking at my plumbing last night I saw my two little fishies control valve and noticed it said 13mm on it, a quick Google search led me to see that 13mm is 1/2inch... So the part I bought from home Depot did not fit because I grabbed the barbed tee designed for sprinkler heads. That's why my 1/2inch tube didn't fit perfectly with the 1/2inch tee. Ordered the right one on Amazon
IMG_20200219_190845.jpg

Did set up my nyos though, she's one sexy skimmer
IMG_20200219_190849.jpg

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks sweet love the fuge! I love my 250 I have had since aug after upgrading from a 32. I need to find a good cabinet idea like yours but my wife is very ocd and I can find a good option she likes. Got the Same return it is a good choice. Here is what mine looks like, they fill up so fast
Hey R2R! Posted this on my local forum thought I'd post here for everyone. Whelp here goes nothing,

Backstory: Have been told countless times to start a build thread on one of my tanks, so here is the first. I had an aquarium in highschool of 2012, but never had the money or mindset to really get going until about 2 years ago when I started my 24gal. Ever since then I have been lurking on this website and my local one for a little over a year. I'm not very creative so being able to see all your builds gave me everything I needed. This tank being featured was actually bought as an upgrade for my 24gal aquatop. I currently am renting with several other roommates (two of whoom are fellow reefers) and our lease will be up in May of this year. I will be moving back in with my dad to save enough money for a house hopefully not in the fifth ward. Knowing the woes of moving I wanted to be proactive and set up a tank already at the new house (aka my dad's). I probably should not have upgraded so quick or at least been more mindful with my spending, but none of us would be in this hobby if it wasn't for the passion. And dangit I have so much love for this hobby and the people that help the community progress.

The tank: After browsing forums and vendor websites for a few weeks I was about to pull the trigger on a brand new black reefer 170. Was looking for one used, but only found a white Red Sea reefer 250 on marsh reef (local forum). It was a deal of a lifetime if I'm being honest. The tank had been used less than 9 months and taken down due to moving and space issues along with a stubborn wife I presume. So with this reefer 250 came a plethora of goodies and equipment. Most of it is small but the dollars add up quick Hannah checkers/flipper max/BRS two part dosing mix/red sea test kits/ carbon ect... The big ones were a reef Octopus 152-s/Eflux Current USA 1050gph pump that I sold on here (local forum) along with a tub of "goodies". Thanks guys!
IMG_20200120_120044.jpg

IMG_20200123_142134.jpg

The plan: After having a mixed nano tank, I decided to dive into the deep end with a full blown bare bottom sps tank. I don't have unlimited funds, but I will shell out extra dollars for quality with a proven track record. For mechanical filtration I'll use filter pads, along with a Nyos 120.
I just bought the red sea filtration cups that go in replace of the socks on Amazon. For biological filtration I will use the red sea ATO as a refegium. I will use ABS black plastic 1/16 inch to cover the sides to avoid light spillage into the sump. It will double as a frag tank in the coming years when the macro algae(chaeto) is no longer needed. In time I do plan on dosing using Tropic Marine. I will do weekly 10 gallon water changes to replace trace elements and help keep the water in check.

The equipment: Lighting will be two Hydra 26HDs with the 3dreefing diffusers. I already had one so I bought the other off someone on reef2reef. So I sold my return pump and my protein skimmer to you guys guess I gotta go shopping. I had the current USA 660gph wave makers in my 24g. After going through 3 in a little over a year and receiving zero customer support or feedback I decided to never do business with them again hence me selling the perfectly functional Eflux return pump. So after a little debate I pulled the trigger on a new Vectra S2 due to noise reliability and customer service. I would have waited for a sale, but wanted to get plumbing done sooner rather than later. Onto the skimmer, I sold the big boi 152-s because it was way to much for my tank. I am very proactive at changing my filterpads along with a well running fuge I didn't need a big skimmer. I plan on buying a new Nyos 120 when it goes on sale (hopefully presidents day) mainly only because it doesn't put out alot of noise. So onto fuge lighting, I know alot of people try to go above and beyond on fuge light I try to keep it small and simple. I'll be using what's already on both of my nanos, the IM ChaetoMax. It's free of user error, you only need to tune the schedule a few hours +/- according to your tanks bio load. Onto flow, I will be using two MP40QD's (bought from a fellow Marsh reefer) on the back of the glass for most the display turnover. I plan on adding two MP10QD's or tunze pumps to bottom of each corner in the back of the glass to help kick up detritus. After dealing with 2 years of UPS Battery backups crapping out on me usually in less than 4 hours, for me going with ecotech Vortechs was a no brainer. I plan on putting a hydor nano powerhead in the sump to help keep it clean of detritus. For ato container I wanted something that looked nice didn't break the bank and could last me over a week, ladies and gentlemen I present to you a piece of acrylic that isn't insanely overpriced. The choice aquatics 10gal white ATO. Will be using my tunze 3155 ATO for top offs. For heating I'm hoping to use a 200w BRS heater along with a new wifi inkbird controller.

Ikea box: So I went to Ikea looking for a cabinet to house my power strip.
Ikea was pretty cancerous if I'm being honest, PewDiePie hyped it up. Anyway found a perfect kitchen cabinet in the discount hardware section at least that matched my white red sea. I plan on housing all my electrical components and possibly my dosing containers in here in the future.
IMG_20200215_092341.jpg

IMG_20200215_092350.jpg

Wrap up: Super stocked to be apart of this community. I'll try and keep this as up to date as possible while the tank build goes into the finale moving stages. In the meantime here are a bunch of tank pictures in no specific order because I made this post on my phone.
Looks sweet love the fuge! I love my 250 I have had since aug after upgrading from a 32. I need to find a good cabinet idea like yours but my wife is very ocd and I can’t find a good option she likes. Got the Same return it is a good choice. Here is what mine looks like. they fill up so fast

13A516F5-394D-4369-ADDE-E99EE5E5FAB1.jpeg

JKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houstoner, congratulations on the upgrade from a fellow RS250 owner. If you believe that food tastes better when someone else is paying - then your tank will be even more enjoyable because of your "deal of a lifetime" :)

Looking forward to more pictures...

OP
OP
Houstoner

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks sweet love the fuge! I love my 250 I have had since aug after upgrading from a 32. I need to find a good cabinet idea like yours but my wife is very ocd and I can find a good option she likes. Got the Same return it is a good choice. Here is what mine looks like, they fill up so fast

Looks sweet love the fuge! I love my 250 I have had since aug after upgrading from a 32. I need to find a good cabinet idea like yours but my wife is very ocd and I can’t find a good option she likes. Got the Same return it is a good choice. Here is what mine looks like. they fill up so fast

13A516F5-394D-4369-ADDE-E99EE5E5FAB1.jpeg
Wow that looks awesome, did you start with dry or live rock? How do you like the nero 5? I have one in my 10 gallon turned down to 1% but still pushing out to much flow.

OP
OP
Houstoner

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houstoner, congratulations on the upgrade from a fellow RS250 owner. If you believe that food tastes better when someone else is paying - then your tank will be even more enjoyable because of your "deal of a lifetime" :)

Looking forward to more pictures...
I think food tastes better when I'm hungry! The tank may have been a stupid good deal, but I'm definitely still getting hit with expenses thanks to this equipment. I will say that it did help though ;)

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that looks awesome, did you start with dry or live rock? How do you like the nero 5? I have one in my 10 gallon turned down to 1% but still pushing out to much flow.
Well 4 years ago I started back up after being out for a while and upgraded 3 times and every time I kept reusing the rock and adding more cured rock to it that LFS sells. Never really had cycles when I went bigger because of it. I got 2 neros and one is at 10% and one is 27%. They are crazy strong but I have a nice Circular current going around my tank. Having a mixed reef is definitely a challenge to get flow right. How do you like the 26’s? I currently have 3 prime 16’s and get sweet coverage and growth. What light settings are you using?

OP
OP
Houstoner

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 4 years ago I started back up after being out for a while and upgraded 3 times and every time I kept reusing the rock and adding more cured rock to it that LFS sells. Never really had cycles when I went bigger because of it. I got 2 neros and one is at 10% and one is 27%. They are crazy strong but I have a nice Circular current going around my tank. Having a mixed reef is defin exitely a challenge to get flow right. How do you like the 26’s? I currently have 3 prime 16’s and get sweet coverage and growth. What light settings are you using?
Live rock makes the world of difference. In my 24gal my live rock has Aiptasia/bubble algae and bristleworms I'm starting completely clean with this dry rock in hopes of never getting any pests. Going to have a separate small QT for new corals, hopefully I can get it right this time around.

I have the 26HD over my mixed 24gal and it is awesome, I have it cranked up to only about 70% at it's peak and that's with a diffuser. I do plan on upgrading to 3 gen 5 xr15s later down the line, I'll cross that bridge later. I run the ab+ spectrum with less whites during the evening. I have not tested par as I kinda just went off what Randy had suggested on the BRS video. I will definitely be testing par with this tank before any coral go in.

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow Reefer 250 owner a month or so into setup, you might find some inspiration in my build out. Minimally, I'd seriously consider a Clarisea Filter Roller and the gate valve mod. The gate valve will make tuning your overflow much much easier. I wrote out a lot of detail on how to mod the sump and plumbing in my tank thread.

20200210_065154.jpg

OP
OP
Houstoner

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow Reefer 250 owner a month or so into setup, you might find some inspiration in my build out. Minimally, I'd seriously consider a Clarisea Filter Roller and the gate valve mod. The gate valve will make tuning your overflow much much easier. I wrote out a lot of detail on how to mod the sump and plumbing in my tank thread.

20200210_065154.jpg
Ahhhh man I wanted to put in a rollermat more than anything, but I was nervous about modifying the sump. Looks like you have the v3 sump, my v2 has my ATO right over my filter socks, so I'm on the fence still about a filter roller in the future.

That is seriously clean I wouldn't even have door on my cabinet if I were you. Did you build that little cabinet under the tank? I'm going to go Snoop around your build now.

OP
OP
Houstoner

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houstoner, how did you attach the Pyle PDBC70 power supply to the bottom of the shelf? This is rack mountable and the screw holes are on the sides as seen in your photo.
Good eye, I used just two strips if this Velcro. I originally had 3 but it was near impossible to take off.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.1%
Back