Red Sea flow valve

rmcguire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forum. I am wondering if there are any general tips for adjusting the flow valve on a Red Sea reefer tank. I have the xl 525, it has been running for one day. Every ten minutes or so it sounds like a toilet flushing. I have adjusted the water level in the tank to be about 1/2 inch below the overflow pipe. It is still doing it.

do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forum. I am wondering if there are any general tips for adjusting the flow valve on a Red Sea reefer tank. I have the xl 525, it has been running for one day. Every ten minutes or so it sounds like a toilet flushing. I have adjusted the water level in the tank to be about 1/2 inch below the overflow pipe. It is still doing it.

do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

To raise water level in the overflow box rotate clockwise. To lower the level in the overflow box rotate counter clockwise. Make very small adjustments and wait a few minutes in between adjustments. The water level should be just below the emergency overflow pipe. After adjusted to the correct level if everything is installed properly it should be very quiet.

I have found that I have to clean mine about every 6 months or so but it is quick and easy to do so.

OP
OP
R

rmcguire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I think the adjustments I was making were to big. Also I have a suspicion that the wave makers have something to do with it. They are set to random waves.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I think the adjustments I was making were to big. Also I have a suspicion that the wave makers have something to do with it. They are set to random waves.
The wavemakers shouldn’t have any bearing on a tank that size (I have 4 all in random mode). First and foremost, figure out the speed you’re going to run your return pump at. Second, close the gate valve until water reaches and then starts flowing through the emergency overflow pipe. Finally, open the gate in small increments (waiting 10-minutes or so between adjustments) until the water level in the overflow reaches the top of the emergency overflow pipe.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back