Red Sea G2 Seams

reeferNbeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchasing a larger tank soon. I currently have a RSR 170, which has done well, other than changing the valve to a gate (highly recommend).

I’m curious if the seams on the Red Sea G2s are any less susceptible. Trying to decide between Red Sea and a Waterbox.

Any info would be appreciated!

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my Gen 2 625 at Black Friday, and have had no problems since setting it up 9 months ago.

I know all about the Gen 1 seam issues, but I believe (and hope) they’ve figured that out. The center brace and armored seams really seem to help, as does the 3/4 inch glass.

I love my ReefMat 1200 and the ease with which it goes into the Gen 2 sump. I really like the RSK 300 skimmer too, so Red Sea has been a good fit for me.

OP
OP
reeferNbeer

reeferNbeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my Gen 2 625 at Black Friday, and have had no problems since setting it up 9 months ago.

I know all about the Gen 1 seam issues, but I believe (and hope) they’ve figured that out. The center brace and armored seams really seem to help, as does the 3/4 inch glass.

I love my ReefMat 1200 and the ease with which it goes into the Gen 2 sump. I really like the RSK 300 skimmer too, so Red Sea has been a good fit for me.
Yea, I’m thinking of catching these Labor Day deals.
Thanks for the feedback!

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchasing a larger tank soon. I currently have a RSR 170, which has done well, other than changing the valve to a gate (highly recommend).

I’m curious if the seams on the Red Sea G2s are any less susceptible. Trying to decide between Red Sea and a Waterbox.

Any info would be appreciated!
I would definitely go with a Red Sea. I have a Red Sea 350 G2 and it’s going amazing. I will definitely look into getting the reef mat. And I’ve been very happy with a Red Sea lights. Let me know if you have any questions

OP
OP
reeferNbeer

reeferNbeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go with a Red Sea. I have a Red Sea 350 G2 and it’s going amazing. I will definitely look into getting the reef mat. And I’ve been very happy with a Red Sea lights. Let me know if you have any questions
Thank you!
I want the 350, but I only have 5’ of wall space between a window and a door. I’m afraid it will be too big… I may just have to settle on the 250

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also clear how red sea will respond to buyers if they're not fixed, surely that counts towards sales goals

Caveat emptor companies stink.

OP
OP
reeferNbeer

reeferNbeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also clear how red sea will respond to buyers if they're not fixed, surely that counts towards sales goals

Caveat emptor companies stink.
Agreed! It seems to me that this issue has the validation to warrant a response. However, that has not been the case

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
I want the 350, but I only have 5’ of wall space between a window and a door. I’m afraid it will be too big… I may just have to settle on the 250
I think I should fit. Only thing is viewing it from the side could be a bit of a problem.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The more important “fixes” IMO is adding the lip support to the front glass which is no longer freely hanging, along with the aluminum support strut.

If you’re going Red Sea, spend the extra money and get the S700 G2+. It has top bracing and an aluminum stand. It’s the same 59” length but a couple inches deeper and taller. It will give you much more piece of mind having the top brace (which any large 5ft+ rimless tank should have IMO).

OP
OP
reeferNbeer

reeferNbeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I should fit. Only thing is viewing it from the side could be a bit of a problem.
Side view shouldn’t be a problem. Here’s a mock-up AR photo for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_3961.jpeg
    IMG_3961.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 63

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more important “fixes” IMO is adding the lip support to the front glass which is no longer freely hanging, along with the aluminum support strut.

If you’re going Red Sea, spend the extra money and get the S700 G2+. It has top bracing and an aluminum stand. It’s the same 59” length but a couple inches deeper and taller. It will give you much more piece of mind having the top brace (which any large 5ft+ rimless tank should have IMO).
What you call the aluminum strut is what I called the center support brace. But yes, I agree that makes a huge difference in the seam integrity, since it props up the middle of the tank and prevents sagging.

I don’t think the OP has the space for a 700. He’s considering a 250 or a 350.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go WB. Too many stories of people having to gut their houses because of these issues. All tanks have risk, and the G2s seem improved, but why reward RS?

Read a post about someone having 60k in damage and having to more or less gut their place, including electrical, because of their RS leak. RS offered them a discount on a G2...Ouch. For a company that has absurd profit margins, they sure don't like giving any back. We should be holding corporations responsible but instead we vote with our dollars and say it's ok.

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a reefer 170 for several years. I added a xl 300 G2 last February. Obviously it's too early to tell how it will hold up. I looked at other brands but the 300 was the exact size I wanted so rather than compromise I went with redsea. I haven't invested in the redsea system just the tanks with stand.
That said I doubt I would purchase a tank any larger than the 300 from redsea. There have been too many reports of seam failure and CS has been lacking from what I gave read. I have no first hand exierience.

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even if they fixed the issues, I’d never give Red Sea a penny or the benefit of the doubt after how they have continued to handle all the G1 issues.

My opinion is they don’t deserve a dime from anybody until they properly handle the G1 seam issues. Simply acknowledging there is an issue would be a good start. Instead, sweep it under the rug, delete every mention, and ridicule the user is their MO.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back