Red sea LED 50

Fry1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just upgraded my lighting to a red sea led 50, my tank is currently 33x33x33 cube. The new light is part of slowly upgrading to a bigger tank.

With the new light do I need to reduce the lighting %. I currently am using 100% blue and 50% white. I have the app using the acclimatise mode but is the above too much for my tank size?

Thanks

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light shouldn’t be too big for that tank. I actually think the recommended range is 20 inches square. You probably can use 2 on that tank to make sure you’ve got enough intensity at the sides. Depends on how spread out your corals are and what’s where.

OP
OP
F

Fry1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light shouldn’t be too big for that tank. I actually think the recommended range is 20 inches square. You probably can use 2 on that tank to make sure you’ve got enough intensity at the sides. Depends on how spread out your corals are and what’s where.
Sorry I should have stated my tank is 33cm not inches

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. One should do it then. I would use the same settings you have. Only way to really know for sure what’s happening is with a par meter. There should be a chart with the light. You can play with the height above the tank if you think it’s too strong for what you’ve got in the tank.

OP
OP
F

Fry1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot, will leave it be and keep my eye on it. Cheers for the help

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your good. Side note a short acclimation period never hurts anything when a lighting change is made.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This has the red sea PAR meter readings on some basic sized tanks....running it wide open you can hit NEAR 400 PAR at the surface. There's a really good thread somewhere on here with people sharing lighting setups for this....I run mine peak on the blue at 70% at 2 hours after sunrise then a gradual decline until sundown, then it goes to zero in about an hour or so....the white is the same at 60% with a gradual peak and decline. Hope this helps. I love my light.

DaceMace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40cm wide 60cm long and 50cm deep tank would one Reef Led 50W be enough for this tank ?

OP
OP
F

Fry1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40cm wide 60cm long and 50cm deep tank would one Reef Led 50W be enough for this tank ?
Yeah will be fine. I'm currently using the same light on my upgrade which is bigger than what you have

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back