Red Sea Max 170 AIO

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. I have ordered a Red Sea Max 170 to set up as a reef tank for Zoas and softies. I plan to go bare bottom. This will be my first reef tank but I have kept a saltwater 50 gallon fish tank for many years. I look forward to learning and sharing this experience

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to start curing the reef rock. I have played around with an aquascape. Do you think this is to much rock? The top of the structure is 1/2 the tank depth. The layout on the board allows 4 inches from the front glass and 2 inches on the other sides

D44120F8-12BE-4FD0-B1CA-001A96814643.jpeg

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. Just a quick update. My tank is still backordered so nothing new there. However, I put a pulsing xenia frag in my saltwater fish tank at the office after being assured that the peppermint shrimp would not bother it. Forgive the low quality video but as you can plainly see, the peppermint shrimp simply destroys the xenia!

Attachments

• IMG_1951.MOV
    82 MB
OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The task for today is to silicone the ABS board to the bottom of the tank, neaten up the mess of plugs, and place the tank in its final position. Tuesday the plan is to just mix up the water and Wednesday to create the rock structures from those rocks which have been patiently waiting to move into their new home and add the water to the tank.
IMG_2050.jpg

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one for daughter 3 months ago. The Reef LED is an AWESOME light! I put corals that were bleaching in my tank, (AI Hydra 26 HDs) into hers and they are coming back.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t started soaking/curing your rocks, you should ASAP. Also I’d recommend you avoid overhangs as much as possible as they become unusable space for corals.

I think with 4 big rocks total would be a very usable layout, try not to go more than half the tank height. Also with 4 rocks it will be easy to remove and scrub the rocks when 6months in you get a nussance algee or other pest. If you are worried about not enough rock use a Brightwell brick in the sump.

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t started soaking/curing your rocks, you should ASAP. Also I’d recommend you avoid overhangs as much as possible as they become unusable space for corals.

I think with 4 big rocks total would be a very usable layout, try not to go more than half the tank height. Also with 4 rocks it will be easy to remove and scrub the rocks when 6months in you get a nussance algee or other pest. If you are worried about not enough rock use a Brightwell brick in the sump.
Hi hotdrop! Thanks for stopping by. I've had some reef rock stewing for some 8-10 weeks now. Thanks for your input. If all stays on schedule, tommorow will be the day I make something out of those rocks and fill the tank. Have a blessed day!

OP
OP
DukeLeto

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s finally put together and everything seems to be working well. My rocks won’t win any aquascaping awards but there are places for corals. The have been curing with bacteria for 9 weeks. I added some more bacteria since it’s in a different tank and will probably give it a couple more weeks before adding a fish to it

0B161A97-9559-4B97-9486-9819C817E636.jpeg 082F4C4F-FF58-43A2-B494-F5201F9D011A.jpeg

Jamestown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank is assembled! We are rethinking where it should go now that we see exactly how tall it is! This is my first tank with 1/2 glass. It was shockingly heavy!
IMG_2047.jpg
I also could not believe how heavy this tank was when mine came in. I couldn't imagine how heavy the big ones are

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank! I have a 170 as well.

I like your aquascaping. Your fish will like it too I'm sure!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back