Red Sea Reefer 170 Build Thread

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by bigdan3489, Nov 30, 2017.

1. bigdan3489

bigdan3489 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I’m starting my Red Sea Reefer 170 build shortly. I just ordered my Reefer 170 and I do not have it yet. This will be my 2nd setup. My first tank I set up a little less than 2 years ago, it was a 75 gallon setup with a 30 gallon sump. I then added a 40 breeder to the system about a year ago as a frag tank. Unfortunately a couple of weeks ago the 40 decided to empty on my hardwood floors ruining a lot. So right now I’m waiting on my floors to be redone before I set up this new system. I completely tore my old system down and sold off everything as I want to start over and do it better. This will be a mixed reef tank. So far my equipment list is as follows:
    Kessil A360w
    Reef Octopus Classic 110INT
    Reef Octopus Varios 2 DC return pump
    Ecotech MP10WQD
    Reef Keeper Lite
    I want to keep it clean and simple. I’m going with Caribsea black live sand and Reef Cleaners dry rock (50lb). Pics will be following

2. bigdan3489

Oh and this is the white cabinet version.

3. Fizzicks

Fizzicks Well-Known Member

Thats almost a carbon copy of my recent RS 170 build!
    I can say confidently your build will go well with those components!

4FordFamily and bigdan3489 like this.
  4. bigdan3489

Thank you very much! I wanted to go a little higher end this time

5. Fizzicks

Tell me about it, It was my first SW tank but I knew from looking at builds before starting mine that I wanted to go the red sea route based on their aesthetics.

bigdan3489 likes this.
  6. bigdan3489

I should have started that way myself but, o course, I was impatient and didn’t want to save for the extra expense. I sure wish I would have as they are beautiful tanks.

7. Fizzicks

My only complaint about them is the ATO res lasts me about 2 days before I have to refill it.

That might be because I am in Las Vegas though and the air is a bit dry.

But I have one unoccupied manifold and im considering turning the RS ATO into a refugium. And then setting up a 10 gallon trigger/tunze when I do my apex upgrade I'm currently saving for.

bigdan3489 likes this.
  8. bigdan3489

I’m in Ohio so it is a lot cooler than Las Vegas but I was already thinking about doing that to the ATO and making it a refugium. I had a Smart ATO micro plumbed into my RODI on my last build and really liked that. I was thinking about doing the same on this new build but want to look at everything and get a feel for how much smaller its going to be in the stand than my previous setup. I want to hide everything inside the stand but still have the inside looking nice and organized.

9. Fizzicks

Check out my build in my signature, You can fit a lot of stuff inside the cabinet if planned correctly. I ended up taking the door off because I liked how my sump looked after I was done.

10. bigdan3489

I looked at yours a couple of weeks ago lol. I was really impressed with how you did your plumbing. I like the open sump look but I like that stand so much I’m not sure I could take the door off lol

11. AMEE

AMEE Well-Known Member

I started my Reefer 170 build about a year ago. Only thing I would say is definitely do a automated ato. I use a tunze ato with a innovative marine reservoir. Also if you can I would do the apex because you will want to upgrade to the apex down the road. I just upgraded my pump to the varios from a sicce and you are gonna love it. The varios control with the apex is great! I have the apex classic.

bigdan3489 likes this.
  12. bigdan3489

I’d love to have an Apex but I have the RKL from my previous build and am just going to use that for now till I can save the money for the Apex.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  13. AMEE

AMEE Well-Known Member

Oh ok if you have it already then why spend extra money.

bigdan3489 likes this.
  14. JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad PMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

I have a reef 170 for my office tank. I love it, they are great tanks. I am sure that you will enjoy yours.

bigdan3489 likes this.
  15. bigdan3489

I just checked out your build thread and that is a very nice looking tank. I’d as well like to turn the ATO reservoir into a refugium and was wondering if there is anyone who had that done and would be willing to share their ideas.

16. JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad PMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

I can't name anyone specifically, but if you look in the build threads you will see them. Just pull the hose or take the valve off and put a small return pump with a hose into the ATO chamber. Then stick a small light over it with some cheato.

bigdan3489 likes this.
  17. bigdan3489

I got my tracking info on my new Reefer 170 and I will have it Thursday!! I can’t wait to start setting this up. I received my Kessil A360WE today. I will post some unboxing pics of the tank when I get it.

JaimeAdams likes this.
  18. bigdan3489

I did receive the tank today but unfortunately the stand was pretty damaged. The tank itself appears to be ok, here are some unboxing pics.
    EFAAE222-A1B2-417A-8925-7BA9ACEB3F9C.jpeg 4D6743CC-C823-4A93-8EE3-CC1258C0E061.jpeg 7594204C-246D-4D7C-BEA1-36A12D8933DD.jpeg 051FF20F-9007-4D66-B484-7F78B99FE509.jpeg

19. bigdan3489

It’s not going to stay in my basement, it’s just there till the new flooring is in in the living room

20. AMEE

AMEE Well-Known Member

That sucks! I have no doubt they will take care of it for you but the waiting is what drives me crazy.

bigdan3489 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted