OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things were looking a little off on closer inspection last night so i did some testing (been putting a floor in downstairs, tank has been kind of neglected :() and Things are wayyyy off.
Salinity 1.027
Cal ~500
Alk 7.9dkh (this is fine)
Mag 1600
Nitrates 25-30ppm
Phosphates 0
All tests are done using Red Sea test kits.
This brings up a few questions,
1. I use no phosphate removal media what so ever, no carbon dosing, no gfo, no biopellets, no GAC nothing. So having it at 0 makes me wonder.
2. I have been dosing 2 part for the last 6-8 months at very low doses, not sure why my cal and mag are sooo high.
3. Trates are high, but i skipped 3 weeks of waterchanges due to life. Neglected to change filter socks and havent sucked up detritus, as well my skimmer has been running kind of funny for the last month or so.

So, i switched from dosing 2 part to red sea reef foundation products (A-Alk B-Cal C-Mag) and have the calcium dosing turned off so it will drop slowly. As for mag i plan on dosing that by hand once every month or so if it needs it. By doing each one seperate im hoping i can control the levels a little better.

I played with the skimmer last night and got a good foam head going again, gonna run it a little wet for a few weeks to pull nitrates down, Added 1L of matrix (wanted to do this for a while anyways) and dosed some n03po4x i had sitting around. Trying to lower it slowly as to not damage anything by a sudden shock, however i think my corals are being negatively affected by this as i have almost 0 PE on my sps. As well, any time a coral gets damaged in any way (stung, tissue loss, my fault, whatever) They ALWAYS die. No matter what. It will just slowly continue losing tissue till its gone. New corals always look great and slowly go down hill. Most live, but hardly ever grow or color up very nice.

I have between 10-15 gallons of water made up for a waterchange im doing tonight (use a tote for storage, not sure on exact volume of water made) And i use HW Marine Mix reefer salt, I am thinking of switching to Aquaforest salt however as it is closer to what i keep my tank at for parameters. Might even switch to the whole program and go probiotic.

Ultimately i think the main issue was my fault in the end. I have a vertex omega 150 on a 65 gallon system. I am pretty sure it stripped the water clean a while ago, causing some tissue loss in a couple already sick sps. Things were getting pale as well, so i started feeding heavy to increase nutrients. I might trade my skimmer for a deltec sc1350. It is more appropriately sized and has amazing reviews.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are back to an acceptable level and the growth from frags really shows a difference! I must have had high nitrates like that for quite some time without noticing :(

I have nopox on a daily doser as well as the fact im using the -np pro and pro bio s from aquaforest. All of which are working wonderfully. Down to 6ppm and falling! I also have about 1.5 litres of matrix in my sump so im sure that will help keep nitrates down once it is fully seeded.

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread and nice looking tank. I know how it is letting things go a little due to life. I had the same issue with my tank and lost a few corals due to it. Good luck with everything and Happy New Year.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some changes today, removed all the anthillia, changed the rockscape just a tad. Did my first waterchange using RCSP salt. Moved mp10 back to the right side of the tank instead of back wall. Replaced the ph probe on my apex to keep better track of that since its been bad the last 7 or so months.
ph 7.9
Alk 7dkh
Cal 410
Nitrates ~10

Changed about 7 gallons or so with rcsp salt, tested alk again and it jumped to 7.7dkh. I eventually plan on raising alk to the 9 range or so so the jump wont be so bad, and if my tank can live at that range i plan on keeping it around there. Depending on things i may try the red sea reef care program numbers of alk around 12dkh and cal at 450 but it all depends on the reaction of my coral as i increase alk.

Will take a picture tomorrow when lights go on. Going to try and keep up to date weekly here so i have a journal of my progress as well as params so i can go back and look

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Seems as though the tank is responding really well to the RCSP salt.

On the bad side of things, my Coral beauty has started nipping at my rfa's. and she needs to go. How do you catch a fish??

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of switching lighting on here, i cant grow sps worth while so i dont need the t5/led hybrid. Looking into the orphek atlantik v4 or mitras lx7 over the tank. Strictly led so no bulb replacements and cheaper electricity costs.

Right now im leaning toward the Atlantik as it has better coverage but the lx7 is looking pretty good with GHL saying that 1 unit would comfortable cover 36" being mixed and not sps heavy.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you take good pictures.

On the odd side, I love zoas and shrooms. Love love em.
Lets just say, my SPS look good...:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you take good pictures.

On the odd side, I love zoas and shrooms. Love love em.
Lets just say, my SPS look good...:rolleyes:

Thanks! Funny thing is i have a Canon Eos 50D that i cant figure out how to use (was a gift) so all of these photos are with my Galaxy smart phone :) S6 Edge+ for those curious.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

New photos under the Mitras. So far i like it. Been setup since wednesday. Things are looking good but time will tell!

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get an update on this tank?
Absolutely ,

Lsot about a 3rd of the tank during a power outage while I was gone for a military exercise

Shut the tank down after that. Moved the remaining livestock to a RSM C130 that is still going while I await my 125 to arrive from sca. (Tomorrow!!)

Still have most of the livestock and some has been doing awesome in this little tank but others not so much

Miss having a skimmer

Anyways, check in on the new build thread. Gonna get crazy in the next month or so!

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update. Now can we get a full tank shot?
You would have to ask the person who bought the tank from me. I am just running a little rsm 130 for now, cant really get good pictures of it. With that said, I bring home my new tank on wednesday (SCAquariums sent me 2 broken display tanks so I got a refund) Will be starting a new build thread once the new one is inplace and the ball is rolling!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back