Red Sea Reefer 350 pipes leaking!

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working for hours trying to get the leak stopped from the pipe above the adjustment knob on my tank. Has anyone with a Red Sea Reeferdealt with this problem? Since it is Sunday, I'm screwed. Tried to submit a form to Red Sea and it wouldn't accept my inquire. I need help, please.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let see if we can get some help...
#reefsquad

In the mean time, are you able to post pictures of the area that is leaking?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, slow down and type clearly. Explain exactly what is going on and which line.
1. Are all your overflow pipes seated and locked?
2. Did you leak check the overflow pipes before connecting the lower pipes?
3. What ever line is leaking take it apart and inspect the O-Rings.
4. If all O-Rings are good reassemble.
5. Do not use any thread tape on stock Red Sea plumbing.

OP
OP
mmw64

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, slow down and type clearly. Explain exactly what is going on and which line.
1. Are all your overflow pipes seated and locked?
2. Did you leak check the overflow pipes before connecting the lower pipes?
3. What ever line is leaking take it apart and inspect the O-Rings.
4. If all O-Rings are good reassemble.
5. Do not use any thread tape on stock Red Sea plumbing.
We have taken all the piping apart. This tank has been set up since May, 2015. I tried to contact Red Sea to no avail. We don't see any problem with o rings, but don't have extra on hand to replace with. We re-attached and pipe is still leaking where it attaches to the tank with a bushing.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ace hardware and tru value have a great assortment of orings. The pipes are metric so replacement parts can be bought from Red Sea or a online store called aquariumpart.com

Also, you can download a replacment assembly manual from Red Sea’s website.
I’m old too so we can figure this out together.

OP
OP
mmw64

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ace hardware and tru value have a great assortment of orings. The pipes are metric so replacement parts can be bought from Red Sea or a online store called aquariumpart.com

Also, you can download a replacment assembly manual from Red Sea’s website.
I’m old too so we can figure this out together.
How do I download the replacement part manual? Thank you so much for your help!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I download the replacement part manual? Thank you so much for your help!

The post above your has the link to the manual direct. Click the link. Your computer or tablet should download it automatically.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my tank used and when we reassembled a couple pipes leaked. We replaced the orings and no leaks after that. Even though they may look okay they get a little compressed after years of use and when they aren’t replaced in the exact same positioning the compressed parts don’t match up and may leak a little.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets back up a little. What’s the status of the tank? How established is it in your home? Are you just setting it up for the first time in your home?
Regardless, we need to find the exact location of the leak. So the best way to figure it out is to do the following.

1. Shut down pumps look for leak. Letthe water settle in the sump below the tank for the next step.
If still leaking.
2. Disconnect each line under the tank going to the bulkhead. This gives you access to inspect the bottom of the tank where the pipes go through the tank. Look for cracks in the glass too. Also note that the overflow will stay full if the pipes in the overflow are secure.
If still leaking..
3. Remove the lines in the overflow. Once you start to unscrew these it will empty the water in the overflow downwards. Expect a couple gallons. So have room in the sump or a bucket below.

With all these lines out, inspect lines, tank and bulkhead for cracks. Before reassembly if no cracks are found replace all Orings.

OP
OP
mmw64

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since the leak is small and we have no replacement parts, we came up with a piece of plastic to make sure the water goes directly into the sump and not under the cabinet. Now it is time to order some replacement parts and try again. Thanks everyone for all the help. Believe it or not, we don't have a local fish store here so we are on our own. We really appreciate this site and all the helpful people on it. Wish someone was close by. Thanks everyone again!

OP
OP
mmw64

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets back up a little. What’s the status of the tank? How established is it in your home? Are you just setting it up for the first time in your home?
Regardless, we need to find the exact location of the leak. So the best way to figure it out is to do the following.

1. Shut down pumps look for leak. Letthe water settle in the sump below the tank for the next step.
If still leaking.
2. Disconnect each line under the tank going to the bulkhead. This gives you access to inspect the bottom of the tank where the pipes go through the tank. Look for cracks in the glass too. Also note that the overflow will stay full if the pipes in the overflow are secure.
If still leaking..
3. Remove the lines in the overflow. Once you start to unscrew these it will empty the water in the overflow downwards. Expect a couple gallons. So have room in the sump or a bucket below.

With all these lines out, inspect lines, tank and bulkhead for cracks. Before reassembly if no cracks are found replace all Orings.
Thanks so much for your help azmsgt.

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For anyone else who is experiencing the same problem...

I purchased a 5 yr old Red Sea Reefer 350 from another hobbyist. After breaking his system down, I couldn’t stop the numerous little leaks in the overflow plumbing when I reassembled it.

First, I made sure the pipes weren’t cracked. Then, I applied non-setting thread sealant to the insert on the pump return connector. Next, I replaced all of the o-rings with Red Sea’s o-ring kit (part R42187). O-rings degrade over time. The kit is universal and works for all Red Sea tanks.

These steps solved all of the leaks.

I was amazed at how nice and pliable the new o-rings were compared to the old, degraded ones. Keep in mind, there is no need to over tighten these parts or use tools. The leaks can be stopped with hand tightening only.

TheArsalan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a similar issue currently. In my case, the leak looked like it was from the connection of the sump plumbing up to the overflow under the tank. After taking the sump plumbing off, I realized it's still leaking and the leak was from the bulkheads. Unfortunately, Red Sea uses silicone in their proprietary bulkheads (both top and bottom), so if you buy a used tank, and the screws for the bulkheads were removed from underneath during the move, there's a chance you've introduced a leak - and that's what I'm dealing with now.

My solution was to use a razor and slice through the silicone to take the bulkhead out completely. Then clean off all the silicone from the bulkhead and glass, and reapply new silicone.

I haven't finished yet, but I can't see why this wouldn't work. Will update if it doesn't! haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back