Red Sea Reefer 525 Overflow issue

oliverout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I have a Red Sea Reefer 525 and it's been running well until the other day when I had a UV installed. After the UV got installed my overflow just isn't filling up to where it should be anymore and it's just making a loud annoying noise occasionally, also I've tried opening and closing the valve and it does nothing. does anyone know how I can fix this? Thank you

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running it from the pump chamber where its next to my return pump and back back into my other sump chamber
I would probably be inclined to move it into your skimmer chamber and pump it into your return chamber.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would pump from and to the same chamber, not the return but from the middle chamber. you would then get zero loss from that chamber as it would be recirculating

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would pump from and to the same chamber, not the return but from the middle chamber. you would then get zero loss from that chamber as it would be recirculating
If you're running a UV in-sump you always want to have it pull from one chamber and deposit in another. Otherwise you're potentially just running a lot of the same water through the UV again.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're running a UV in-sump you always want to have it pull from one chamber and deposit in another. Otherwise you're potentially just running a lot of the same water through the UV again.
Um I see your point however if you have the inlet upstream and the outlet down stream It is unlikey imo that you will be doubling up on the pass throughs. I just feed mine from the overflow wier and have it exit near the rt inlet...seems to work well

Attachments

• IMG_5789.jpg
    IMG_5789.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 26

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um I see your point however if you have the inlet upstream and the outlet down stream It is unlikey imo that you will be doubling up on the pass throughs. I just feed mine from the overflow wier and have it exit near the rt inlet...seems to work well
To each their own, of course. Unless you tie your UV directly into your return pump it behaves like a skimmer, ie: you need x amount of constant turnover to ensure y amount of water passes through the UV.

This is why I suggest one chamber to another for UVs in order to maximize the amount of water that will pass through the UV each cycle.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back