Red Sea Reefer Drain Noise

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just finally got my RSR 250 running and the drain is quite loud. These things are supposed to be silent so I need some help. I have a 758 gph pump that I have turned all the way down, I have some pictures to show you the level in the overflow box and the sump.
41F343D5-6406-4238-BBBD-0ADD12D1CB7D.jpeg 87C5780F-FBD5-465D-9C65-5DF74224B3CB.jpeg

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close the valve until the water trickles down the emergency overflow. If you are short on water in the sump you have to make and add some. From the pic you need more water in the overflow box.

OP
OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close the valve until the water trickles down the emergency overflow. If you are short on water in the sump you have to make and add some. From the pic you need more water in the overflow box.
I know I need more water in the overflow box, but how do I accomplish that? I have the valve turned all the way clockwise, is that as closed as it can be??

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should close all the way. Is there anything stuck in the valve preventing it from closing all the way? Try opening it all the way up then closing it down if you haven't already.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea drain valve is very sensitive to changes. In the first photo you posted the main overflow was low, so the valve should be closed slightly to allow water to drain more slowly and the water level in the overflow box will slowly rise. When I say "closed slightly", I mean about 1/8th of a turn on the knob. Turn it a little, then wait about 5 minutes and look at the water level again. If it's still gurgling and low, close it another 1/8th of a turn and wait another 5 minutes. Repeat until the water level increases.

It sounds like a pain, and it is, but once you get the water level to increase about 1", it will be silent and stay that way. If you close it too much, then the water level will increase and the water will start to flow down the emergency drain to the left of the main overflow. If it does that, then you need to open the valve about 1/8th turn, and repeat the process until it levels off in between the overflow level and the emergency drain level.

Hope this helps.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is dead silent when it’s in it’s sweet spot. I have to adjust it usually one notch either way about once a week or so

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is dead silent when it’s in it’s sweet spot. I have to adjust it usually one notch either way about once a week or so

So is mine which I guess is to adjust for small amounts of evaporation.
The funny thing is that the guy from my LFS who does a monthly service on my tank insists that I open it up considerably more to the point where it is extremely loud but everyone that posts on R2R about their RS Reefers always say to keep the level where we set it at. o_O

OP
OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is mine which I guess is to adjust for small amounts of evaporation.
The funny thing is that the guy from my LFS who does a monthly service on my tank insists that I open it up considerably more to the point where it is extremely loud but everyone that posts on R2R about their RS Reefers always say to keep the level where we set it at. o_O
Ain’t nobody wanting a more noisy tank.

OP
OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting out, the flow through my sump was turbulent as well, happy to know the valve adjustment fixed both of my issues. Now to turn the pump rate up and adjust. My greatest issue was before any water running the valve only turned a little, I didn’t realize how much adjustment there truly was to mess with.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain’t nobody wanting a more noisy tank.

He insists that I should have a stronger flow into the media cups but when he increases it the noise increases to the point where you can hear it in my bedroom. Even the manager of my LFS says there is no need for this but I still have this debate once a month when he comes for service. o_O

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He insists that I should have a stronger flow into the media cups but when he increases it the noise increases to the point where you can hear it in my bedroom. Even the manager of my LFS says there is no need for this but I still have this debate once a month when he comes for service. o_O

They are designed to be run dead silent. You can crank up your return but you would need to adjust the valve accordingly. I have varios 2 return. I keep it at 75%, When I crank it up to 100 to help flush the tank I have to open the valve more to accommodate the higher flow or the wier will run over the emergency pipe and be noisy. There is a sweet spot finding it is a slight challenge. Don’t forget to clean the valve every few months to keep it running smoothly

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back