Red Sea Reefer owners - RSR 170 flow noise after 3 years

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning sitting here perusing R2R and I hear some flow noise from the tank. Not a flushing noise or an overflow noise, just that flow noise past the diaphragm valve that means either water level is low in the overflow or that the diaphragm valve needs cleaning. Pretty sure most Red Sea Reefer owners know the noise I'm talking about. No biggie, heard it before so I checked the water level in overflow and sure enough, a bit low. Adjust the valve. It took almost 1/4 turn to re-stable (much more than I expect normally) but it did find stability again but the noise is still there. Well ok, then I guess the diaphragm valve needs cleaning. Again, no biggie, done that a few times over the years to get crud, snails or whatever cleaned out. One of the things I like about the diaphragm valve (and perhaps the only thing) is it's so easy to clean. Found a little scale build up to remove, checked the pipes while I was at it, everything's clear. Installed it all and fired the return pump back up and adjusted until stable again. Thing is, that flow noise is louder than before...ok screwed something up. It happens. Repeated the above and same result. So time to hit the forum to see if anyone has experience with this before I either take it apart yet again or go a bit more drastic (which I'll talk about if answers here lead me there).

I have noticed a slight 1 drip per minute leak from the valve knob shaft - livable (especially since upgrading next month). Wasn't there before as I have no salt creep. Don't really think that's causing the flow noise but here's where I think I could be wrong (No doubt that I could be wrong elsewhere).

Has anyone seen a very, very minor leak from the diaphragm valve cause enough air to cause a flow noise through the valve?

If so, is that darn thing fixable at this point or because it's basically a shaft seal is it a loss now and I need to find other solutions?

Note: I'm aware of replacing with gate valve mod - but never needed to and being so close to starting up new tank would rather not spend money and time on that.

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...that flow noise stopped. I'm assuming I had some air trapped in the diaphragm valve. Took about an hour and a half. The slow drip has also stopped - not sure why but not taking anything apart to find out either. If I was keeping this system longer I'd be looking at having a replacement on hand or that gate valve. As it is...it should keep long enough to finish my upgrade and if not, I can always move heaters/ATS to display temporarily.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back