• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Red Sea Reefer Skimmer 300 (RSK - 300) - $225 plus shipping - great condition - Used for three weeks

Item Price
Selling Terms Of Service
  1. YES I have read the terms and agree to them
Shipping
YES shipping is available

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I have a new RedSea REEFER SKIMMER 300 I'm looking to sell. I’ve been running it for about 3 weeks but I just think it’s too oversized for my ~30 gallon tank. I recently bought a RedSea REEFER G2 170 and it came in a bundle with the tank so I assumed it is appropriately sized but after some research its too powerful for my little system. It’s basically new. I'm looking to replace it with a smaller skimmer. Selling for $225 plus shipping, I'm located in Manhattan if anyone in the area is interested.

Let me know!
TM

*I have read the terms and conditions and agreed to them*

9D9CC1EC-7A7F-4CCB-9EF7-9DE491B3567D.jpeg

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re giving up on it? I would buy it off of you for my other 170 I am setting up now. but I want the DC pump. You should keep it. Also you need to take it off the bio brick and lower it down.

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re giving up on it? I would buy it off of you for my other 170 I am setting up now. but I want the DC pump. You should keep it. Also you need to take it off the bio brick and lower it down.
I had it lower down and I pretty much had to keep the gate valve shut to stop it from overflowing. Do you have one of these on a 170? Is it actually generating skimmate?

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the double response, I checked out your build thread, looks comparable and your skimmer is pulling some serious gunk, few questions for you:
- how long did it take before you began pulling skimmate
- how much are you feeding a day?
How much would you say your total water volume is with and without equipment\rock? I’m guessing 50 without ~45 with equipment / rock

just trying to make an informed decision

Noel01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for the double response, I checked out your build thread, looks comparable and your skimmer is pulling some serious gunk, few questions for you:
How much would you say your total water volume is with and without equipment\rock? I’m guessing 50 without ~45 with equipment / rock

Dm sent

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I thought you got that from your original post. In the beginning I had the valve pretty much shut and let it just overflow, then it settled down. While I was doing the plumbing in the sump I had the tank going running off an aux filter so it was a bit more established once I ran the whole system. But it still overflowed for a couple weeks. Once it settled down I would slowly open the valve until the bubbles came to the bottom of the cup. I want to pull thick skimmate from my tank. Which means only the dirtiest proteins make it into the cup. With such a small tank and a filter roller, you can easily deplete your system of nutrients. My primary focus of my skimmer is for gas exchange and filtration second.
My volume on that tank is about a few gallons more than the RS170 because it is an ext overflow box.
Feeding wise, pellets/flake in the morning and frozen in the afternoon (probably a cubes worth) also I have a sheet of Nori for snacking throughout the day in the IM gadget holder. Technically you do not need a skimmer yet because your tank is new. Very soon RS is going to come out with a DC motor for that skimmer that I think is going to be $175ish I would hang on to it and get the new pump. it will be cheaper than selling this one and buying another. There is also a video on BRS on tuning skimmers, that you may not find all your answers but it will help conceptually with whats going on.

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you got that from your original post. In the beginning I had the valve pretty much shut and let it just overflow, then it settled down. While I was doing the plumbing in the sump I had the tank going running off an aux filter so it was a bit more established once I ran the whole system. But it still overflowed for a couple weeks. Once it settled down I would slowly open the valve until the bubbles came to the bottom of the cup. I want to pull thick skimmate from my tank. Which means only the dirtiest proteins make it into the cup. With such a small tank and a filter roller, you can easily deplete your system of nutrients. My primary focus of my skimmer is for gas exchange and filtration second.
My volume on that tank is about a few gallons more than the RS170 because it is an ext overflow box.
Feeding wise, pellets/flake in the morning and frozen in the afternoon (probably a cubes worth) also I have a sheet of Nori for snacking throughout the day in the IM gadget holder. Technically you do not need a skimmer yet because your tank is new. Very soon RS is going to come out with a DC motor for that skimmer that I think is going to be $175ish I would hang on to it and get the new pump. it will be cheaper than selling this one and buying another. There is also a video on BRS on tuning skimmers, that you may not find all your answers but it will help conceptually with whats going on.
Thanks that's very helpful. I suppose the biggest difference is the food input, I'm only feeding about 1/3rd a cube of Mysis a day but will eventually get to your level of ~1 cube a day. That BRS video is partly why I'm interested in swapping it out, they advise pretty strongly against oversizing and the skimmer is rated for about twice my water volume. It's well broken in but I just don't have enough protein in the water column to maintain a foam head across that wide neck. I also have an algae scrubber so I'm afraid its overkill. I was thinking about this one which is more appropriately sized and can be covered by the sale of my current skimmer, it has excellent reviews. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef...D=4855&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure you will be fine with that skimmer. You may not have a different outcome, because like you said, your filtration vs. nutrients is over kill. If you lived closer I would just buy your RS skimmer, but I don't know how cost effective that would be when the new DC motors come out.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back