Red Sea Salt

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea reef pro salt - how long can this sit in a brute can before it’s no good.
im wondering if the calcium/mag/nutrients go away after so long. I’ve heard some say that it will and some say that it won’t

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using it for 7 months - but I mix a new batch for each water change, I add the new saltwater about 2 hours after I start mixing it.

I’m hoping that the nutrients in it will replenish my tank so that I don’t have to look into dosing

smacbride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that Red Sea salt is actually mined from an ancient dried sea, at least it used to be. It could be thousands of years old...

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea salt is supposed to mix (or its rcmded) to mix for at least 24hrs b4 adding to tank. mine usually mixes for about a week b4 i use it as I always keep minimum 5g on hand at temp ready for emergencies.

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and the following video after the one posted above, where with temp and constant circulation in stored water all are stable for the entire testing period (how most people store their water, like me)... even with coral pro

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix mine in a smaller brute can with a heater and a power head - I remember reading a bunch of places that say that this is a must when mixing. I was just hoping to not have to mix every time I wanted to refresh the nutrients in the ol tank lol

thanks !

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red sea salt is supposed to mix (or its rcmded) to mix for at least 24hrs b4 adding to tank. mine usually mixes for about a week b4 i use it as I always keep minimum 5g on hand at temp ready for emergencies.
The instructions for the pro is to mix 30 min to 2 hours and not more than 4.
FD0F01DD-511B-4D7D-83F4-4A722B6B0696.jpeg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The instructions for the pro is to mix 30 min to 2 hours and not more than 4.
FD0F01DD-511B-4D7D-83F4-4A722B6B0696.jpeg

I don’t understand why mixing for more than 4 hours is not recommended, a few salts have the same information.
The BRS videos show that most salts take 24 hours to clear, and once in the tank the salt is mixed continually, so why only 4 hours?

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand why mixing for more than 4 hours is not recommended, a few salts have the same information.
The BRS videos show that most salts take 24 hours to clear, and once in the tank the salt is mixed continually, so why only 4 hours?
RS Coral Pro mixes sparkling clear in very little time. I think they suggest not mixing for longer because of the high Alk and calcium with it’s affinity to precipitate out.

With that said, I have mixed the pro and let it sit overnight without any issues. But some people do get precipitation on the sides of container which is likely why they say no more than 4 hours. They probably just don’t want people asking for a refund for salt that precipitates.

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has worked out just fine for me for many many years, so i'm not changing my ways now. as the brs video shows, I have seen no significant values difference when mixed/heated for 4hrs or 7days. I'd rather have some ready made, on hand, at temp for emergencies than wait 2-4 hrs after one for mixing to complete. Every setup is different, this way works great for me for over 15 years.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back