Red Sea silicone improvements!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I was just at my LFS (Artistic Aquariums in Chandler, AZ) and they just got a shipment of new Red Sea tanks, (including the XXL900 which has been set up for a month now), and Red Sea has improved the silicone seals by adding a thick seal on the inside corners of all the panes of glass, (Corners, bottom, etc). So, this new sealing method plus the new bracing, alleviates any worries I would have about buying one of the new larger tanks.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I was just at my LFS (Artistic Aquariums in Chandler, AZ) and they just got a shipment of new Red Sea tanks, (including the XXL900 which has been set up for a month now), and Red Sea has improved the silicone seals by adding a thick seal on the inside corners of all the panes of glass, (Corners, bottom, etc). So, this new sealing method plus the new bracing, alleviates any worries I would have about buying one of the new larger tanks.

If you don't mind, what's the smallest Reefer size that you saw that improvement done on?

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sold on anything Red Sea right now. When they sell light mounts and do not have replacement parts for the aluminum section at waterline that corrodes, expecting you to buy a whole new mount rather than but a 5$ part... not a company I will do business with in the future.

My light mounts did not corrode in 1 month. Nor did those tanks fail at 1 month.
It’s the 1.5 to 2.5 year mark I’m looking at.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen that tank too. It’s called gussets and I wouldn’t say it’s improved silicone. It’s the same gussets that are on other Red Sea tanks just thicker considering the size of that 900. Also that tank (the 900) has a much improved stand and metal reinforcements in the stand.

I still wouldn’t ever own another Red Sea. Their silly little games they played on customers during and around the entire 750 debacle has soured them for me. There is allot more improving that needs to be done outside of the tanks.

SeaSickness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been seriously considering the 450XL, but I've heard and read so many horror stories about Red Sea's tank issues, and worse, their poor customer support. It's really too bad.

OP
OP
Phil D.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been seriously considering the 450XL, but I've heard and read so many horror stories about Red Sea's tank issues, and worse, their poor customer support. It's really too bad.
Actually, with the improvements and if you ever had any issues, I would talk to Mr. Chien at the Texas office. He has been very responsive and helpful to me. We had some cabinet damage from shipping on the daughter's E-170 and he sent us new panels at no charge.

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water started getting into inside corner of my Red Sea reefer 350. The tank is only little over 2 years old. Filed a claim with Red Sea and hoping they do something about it.

OP
OP
Phil D.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have the 3 year warranty for owners out there. You mean it's in the stand?

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have the 3 year warranty for owners out there. You mean it's in the stand?
No the tank.

F88A4AFF-25DC-4541-A7B7-865813055C2F.jpeg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the tank.

F88A4AFF-25DC-4541-A7B7-865813055C2F.jpeg
Hopfully they resolve your problem. While the picture is blurry, your edge seal looks to be failing. Good luck!

I personally don’t care if the tanks have a 1 year or 20 year warranty. I want a tank that I can trust for 15-20 years. Red Sea is not a tank builder I can trust. I have a 625 that is full and running now almost a year. I am only able to hope that it lasts for the ten years I plan to have it running.

Last edited:

MrStoffel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering a new tank, and really like the dimensions of the 300XL.
However, all the horror stories i've read in the past year have really scared me.
I've been keeping reef tanks for 20 years, and it would become a high end sps setup.
Considering a tank takes years to mature and grow in, by the time all your money and effort is in the tank, you're on your own.

Tang22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen that tank too. It’s called gussets and I wouldn’t say it’s improved silicone. It’s the same gussets that are on other Red Sea tanks just thicker considering the size of that 900. Also that tank (the 900) has a much improved stand and metal reinforcements in the stand.

I still wouldn’t ever own another Red Sea. Their silly little games they played on customers during and around the entire 750 debacle has soured them for me. There is allot more improving that needs to be done outside of the tanks.
Hi, does anyone know if these "improved seals" or "gussets" have been made to the Reefer 525 or 625 tanks as well?

thanks

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think the seals/silicone were the problem, it is the stand materials and design. Customer service and deleting posts about failures are another problem.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure that makes everybody that has purchased one in the past feel better. After seeing all the tank fails on their Facebook page and asking questions I was deleted from their page? I just wanted to know if it was safe to buy one or not. Commenting would be turned off on certain posts, certain posts about tank fails deleted? You couldn’t give me a red sea tank.

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt buy another redsea new or used. There are quite a few options that look similar, don't catastrophically fail, and have better customer service (cade, innovative marine and waterbox).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back