Red Sea Tank Bracing

mrtmsmith89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning everyone.

So I've recently picked up a Red Sea Reefer 425XL. The silicone seals all look fine, but the horror stories I've heard have made me want to bulk things up a bit.

I've reinforced each corner seam, but I'm thinking of adding a brace to sit on the top of each side of the tank.

My main question is what thickness of glass do I need to brace it with? I was thinking of standard 6mm, but do I need to go toughened/thicker?

Wether it will help or reduce risk I don't know, but I suppose anything is worth a shot right?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good Morning everyone.

So I've recently picked up a Red Sea Reefer 425XL. The silicone seals all look fine, but the horror stories I've heard have made me want to bulk things up a bit.

I've reinforced each corner seam, but I'm thinking of adding a brace to sit on the top of each side of the tank.

My main question is what thickness of glass do I need to brace it with? I was thinking of standard 6mm, but do I need to go toughened/thicker?

Wether it will help or reduce risk I don't know, but I suppose anything is worth a shot right?
Typical thickness is 3/16" but Ive also seen 3/8"

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also look at bracing the stand.
This is the way. I bought a used Peninsula 500. I’m planning on reinforcing the stand. I might try to add an aluminum vertical brace like they do in the larger models. I believe the stand sags and the glass isn’t designed to handle that.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the way. I bought a used Peninsula 500. I’m planning on reinforcing the stand. I might try to add an aluminum vertical brace like they do in the larger models. I believe the stand sags and the glass isn’t designed to handle that.
Definitely on the larger (older) tanks, yes. Red Sea makes a retrofit kit that consists of an aluminum brace. Might be easier to contact and order through them.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning everyone.

What did you end up doing? I have a RedSea and would definitely like to follow this. Any one has any pics of bracing stand?

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing? I have a RedSea and would definitely like to follow this. Any one has any pics of bracing stand?
I also feel like you should contact the manufacturer, because in case you don’t brace it evenly the pressure of water can be on one side and not even causing more issues.

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working with my LFS to get the aluminum brace to add to the stand. Haven’t received it yet, but no rush. I’ve been cleaning the old tank, sump, and plumbing.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working with my LFS to get the aluminum brace to add to the stand. Haven’t received it yet, but no rush. I’ve been cleaning the old tank, sump, and plumbing.
Nice, can you post a pic of the aluminum stand before and after you install it? This is interesting, I’ll be following along. For this reason I refuse to use metal blades as scrapers to clean my glass. I feel even if they slightly get under the seams, do it enough times and you’re creating an issue for yourself.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely on the larger (older) tanks, yes. Red Sea makes a retrofit kit that consists of an aluminum brace. Might be easier to contact and order through them.
Hey, have you installed one on your tank? Did you reinforce the flooring where you put the tank? My tank is next to a flight of stairs so I think I’m good but I wonder if anyone has ever had a problem with tanks and flooring.

OP
OP
mrtmsmith89

mrtmsmith89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tank still is a work in progress at the moment, to be totally honest I broke the sump, so I've had to replace it with one which is slightly bigger, not by much but it doesn't really give me any room to add a brace to the middle of the cabinet.

The 425XL cabinet in my opinion though doesn't really need a centre brace, as the width between the two sections (sump area and chiller area) isn't massive.

For a belt and braces approach I've added some CT1 to each corner running upwards, someone reccomended doing it on facebook, they'd done it to there tank and not had issues, I'm not convinced it'll do much, but it's a tidy job so why not.

I also had some 6mm glass cut, 2x 50mm wide strips which I've fasted on the top, running from front to back corner, cost me less than £10 so figured why not. Takes the rimless look away, but by the time I've got a lid on the top it won't be noticeable.

I did speak to a local tank builder who does a resealing service. I mentioned to him about possibly getting it resealed and his advice was, providing the silicone looks ok, make sure it's level. Level when empty, level when half full and ensure it's still level when full.

So that's where I'm at with it.

OP
OP
mrtmsmith89

mrtmsmith89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, can you post a pic of the aluminum stand before and after you install it? This is interesting, I’ll be following along. For this reason I refuse to use metal blades as scrapers to clean my glass. I feel even if they slightly get under the seams, do it enough times and you’re creating an issue for yourself.

The metal brace red sea sell is here Red Sea Brace

It is designed for the XXL625/XXL750 which do have a much larger cabinet than most, but how it would fit with other tanks I'm not sure.

Bit of research and it could be figured out, most of there range they have the cabinet dimensions on the support page so could easily compare measurements, and order the part through your local dealer, not sure on cost though.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank still is a work in progress at the moment, to be totally honest I broke the sump, so I've had to replace it with one which is slightly bigger, not by much but it doesn't really give me any room to add a brace to the middle of the cabinet.

The 425XL cabinet in my opinion though doesn't really need a centre brace, as the width between the two sections (sump area and chiller area) isn't massive.

For a belt and braces approach I've added some CT1 to each corner running upwards, someone reccomended doing it on facebook, they'd done it to there tank and not had issues, I'm not convinced it'll do much, but it's a tidy job so why not.

I also had some 6mm glass cut, 2x 50mm wide strips which I've fasted on the top, running from front to back corner, cost me less than £10 so figured why not. Takes the rimless look away, but by the time I've got a lid on the top it won't be noticeable.

I did speak to a local tank builder who does a resealing service. I mentioned to him about possibly getting it resealed and his advice was, providing the silicone looks ok, make sure it's level. Level when empty, level when half full and ensure it's still level when full.

So that's where I'm at with it.
Nice, I built my tank with my father and his OCD definitely made sure the tank and stand were leveled lol.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The metal brace red sea sell is here Red Sea Brace

It is designed for the XXL625/XXL750 which do have a much larger cabinet than most, but how it would fit with other tanks I'm not sure.

Bit of research and it could be figured out, most of there range they have the cabinet dimensions on the support page so could easily compare measurements, and order the part through your local dealer, not sure on cost though.
Thanks for this, my sump already has this, it’s in the middle where the edges of the two cabinet doors close. It was a pain when trying to clean my sump but nice to know that’s it’s there for structural purposes I just figured it was there for the doors.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, have you installed one on your tank? Did you reinforce the flooring where you put the tank? My tank is next to a flight of stairs so I think I’m good but I wonder if anyone has ever had a problem with tanks and flooring.
Mine came with the retrofit kit, so yes - I have the aluminum strut installed. My floor is concrete but I placed heavy duty laminate flooring down under it.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came with the retrofit kit, so yes - I have the aluminum strut installed. My floor is concrete but I placed heavy duty laminate flooring down under it.
Yes mine also came with the retrofit kit, my floors are pretty good with ceramic tiles, but I’ll take a look at the basement as well.

sea2sky_2023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat here. Recently acquired a Penninsula 500 and want to make sure it's over-reinforced. Did you end up finding a brace or other solution to bolstering the strength of the stand?

sea2sky_2023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you take a picture of the aluminum strut? I'm curious to see how it's installed. Are there a pair (one on each side)?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you take a picture of the aluminum strut? I'm curious to see how it's installed. Are there a pair (one on each side)?
There's just one that fits on the longer side to support the top of the cabinet. Sure, send me a PM as a reminder later to snag a picture for you.

divcesar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a Red Sea 650 peninsula and I have serious concerns. I’ll need to reinforce it. Can folks please post some pictures to give me an idea of what I should be aiming for?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back