Red slime?

peppe_67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this red slime that we have on a few places in the tank? And a few days ago some kind of bubbles appeared.
Do I have to do something about it and in that case, what?
87c658004e3d42ca89096d76adea6bff.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanobacteria

Yes, look at your phosphate levels. also what are you feeding a dosing? There are red slime removers that will get rid of it, but it is best to find out the source. Mine was phosphates and dosing to much vitamin C.

Light can also make cyano un happy here is a bunch of information link

OP
OP
peppe_67

peppe_67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanobacteria

Yes, look at your phosphate levels. also what are you feeding a dosing? There are red slime removers that will get rid of it, but it is best to find out the source. Mine was phosphates and dosing to much vitamin C.

Light can also make cyano un happy here is a bunch of information link
My phosphate level is 0.25 and I'm using phosphate remover to try and get it down. Right now the only thing that I'm dosing is Kh-buffer.
I'm giving formula one and formula two twice a day, one cube of frozen food every evening, one cube of frozen cyklops every third evening, phytoplankton every third day and SPS food once a week. I'll back down a bit on the feeding to see if it helps.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you know your POV is a bit high, how about your nitrate?
An imbalance between the two can also make cyano rear it’s ugly head.

Oh, and it hates high flow so try to increase your flow if possible.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this red slime that we have on a few places in the tank? And a few days ago some kind of bubbles appeared. (creating its own food)
Do I have to do something about it and in that case, what?
Like others have said this is cyano. Do you need to do something? Its best to syphon it out with water changes and if you use socks change them more often. Usually comes on a live rock or frag. Likes an unbalanced tank and light.
Like said above: More flow. Less light. Lower Phosphates. Nitrates above 5ppm. Once other things use up its resources it will disappear. Will always be there but you wont see it .

OP
OP
peppe_67

peppe_67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you know your POV is a bit high, how about your nitrate?
An imbalance between the two can also make cyano rear it’s ugly head.

Oh, and it hates high flow so try to increase your flow if possible.
My nitrate is 50! but I've felt that something has to be wrong with that test, or can it be as high?

Thanks for the tip about flow, I'll try to change it.

Last week I ramped up the lighting in order to get my SPS to thrive.

Kevan Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue, have been trying to keep PO4 to 0, cutting lights way down in intensity and shorter light period, each morning it is worse. looks like I need to vacuum more and try to brush off the stuff that has air bubbles daily. the air bubbles are on all the live rock.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME eliminating red- white light stunns cyano. 1 clean it up one last time 2 eliminate white light 3 get a good clean up crew going this crew must have large turbos, astra snails, be nice to add cerith snails and trochus snails and mostly eliminate ditritis or anything rotting even alge . It will pass

Kevan Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had turned off red but still have a bit of white. I’ll shut that off also. Also wondered about clean up crew. Will add that to the solution.

Kevan Sharp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME eliminating red- white light stunns cyano. 1 clean it up one last time 2 eliminate white light 3 get a good clean up crew going this crew must have large turbos, astra snails, be nice to add cerith snails and trochus snails and mostly eliminate ditritis or anything rotting even alge . It will pass

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw an acropora in that pic sooooo don’t bottom out your nutrients or bye bye acropora. Watch useing GFO or anything that pulls nutrients out of the water .
Large turbos have been sent to us from heaven , yeah they knock stuff over but they are worth it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back