red thorny starfish reef safe?

Traplord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an update on this I’m curious to hear what happened as my red thorny star was bothering my anemone this morning

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adding the scientific name for the benefit of future search inquiries: Echinaster echinophorus

i thought these were so cool when i first saw one in the LFS, and i was really tempted to buy it, but i recalled a general guideline that starfish with pronounced bumps/horns/thorns usually aren't reef-safe.

Fir3ant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you he seems to be going out of his way to avoid corals when he tourchs them hoping this is a good sign
Has he done good with your reef tank? I got one also an read that it wasn’t reef safe but he hasn’t messed with anything yet

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has he done good with your reef tank? I got one also an read that it wasn’t reef safe but he hasn’t messed with anything yet
he attacked my corals so i put him in the sump and he has lived down there happy I then tested it out by putting a zoa frag down there to see and he ate that so definitely not reef safe for me

Zagecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy at the store told me there reef safe and now I’m hearing there not is that true?

3E4D1746-EEF6-4D02-BC14-436FD2C4C450.jpeg
I have a couple of soft corals and a red thorny sea star. He never even touched them. Also what do I feed it?

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
L
I have a couple of soft corals and a red thorny sea star. He never even touched them. Also what do I feed it?
I’ve tried to feed him many things especially because I put him in the sump but refuses tI eat anything I give to him. I’ve also experimented with him to see what he’d want to chomp on and found that mine personally eats corals that are hard like encrusters anyways as long as your tank is active I wouldn’t worry he’d survived in my sump for a good amount of time and I provide no food and everything passes through a filter sock so he must be getting something

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back