red thorny starfish reef safe?

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The guy at the store told me there reef safe and now I’m hearing there not is that true?

3E4D1746-EEF6-4D02-BC14-436FD2C4C450.jpeg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven’t owned one, but Live Aquaria agrees it is not Reef safe. Snippet

The Red Thorny Sea Star requires a large aquarium with ample supplies of live rock. A small specimen will eat algae. As it grows older, however, it is not reef compatible, as it will eat soft corals, sponges, tubeworms, clams, starfish, and other invertebrates.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven’t owned one, but Live Aquaria agrees it is not Reef safe. Snippet

The Red Thorny Sea Star requires a large aquarium with ample supplies of live rock. A small specimen will eat algae. As it grows older, however, it is not reef compatible, as it will eat soft corals, sponges, tubeworms, clams, starfish, and other invertebrates.
Of course it’s not

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's reef safe I have one had it for over 2 years no problems. As u can see my avatar. They move real quick
I’m Really worried every one is telling me differently as I read the threads but I’ll trust you and the lfs and hope for the best if I see him starting to attack corals then he will have to go

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m Really worried every one is telling me differently as I read the threads but I’ll trust you and the lfs and hope for the best if I see him starting to attack corals then he will have to go
when I bought mine I did same thing started reading on line and they say it's not. I called my LFS back and they promised me it was. And I haven't had problem yet. He crawls over everything and doesn't bother anything. Best luck happy Reefing. I trying find mine right now to get pic for ya but can't find him he likes get up in the rock work!!

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when I bought mine I did same thing started reading on line and they say it's not. I called my LFS back and they promised me it was. And I haven't had problem yet. He crawls over everything and doesn't bother anything. Best luck happy Reefing. I trying find mine right now to get pic for ya but can't find him he likes get up in the rock work!!
Thank you he seems to be going out of his way to avoid corals when he tourchs them hoping this is a good sign

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
8EC8C393-F441-4B39-A8D8-A98F332822F2.jpeg

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it fed well and you should be ok. Stars are munchers. What do you think eats all those dead whales that make it to the bottom of the ocean? Bottom feeder sharks only do so much. Stars and other inverts, baby. They're beasts.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the tag! These starfish are typically not reef safe but the chance of them attacking corals can be reduced by keeping them very well fed.
Should I feed them or wait till he’s acclimated and how often do you suggest feeding

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tag! These starfish are typically not reef safe but the chance of them attacking corals can be reduced by keeping them very well fed.
Well it's an emergency and knew you would take care of it...

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I feed them or wait till he’s acclimated and how often do you suggest feeding
I would give him time before you attempt to feed him, do you have a lot of other fish that get fed frequently? Again, keeping it well feed might reduce the chance of it eating corals but know that one day you might wake up with a coral destroyed. If that is not a risk you want to take, I would see if the LFS would take it back.

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not going to eat ur corals and how do u feed a star fish? They are grazers u will be fine. I wouldn't stress about it
15874241660458934997202353009785.jpg

He's coming up over back hard see him.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would give him time before you attempt to feed him, do you have a lot of other fish that get fed frequently? Again, keeping it well feed might reduce the chance of it eating corals but know that one day you might wake up with a coral destroyed. If that is not a risk you want to take, I would see if the LFS would take it back.
I have 5 fish but i I have nothing eating my rock works at all so I’m hoping that will help

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not going to eat ur corals and how do u feed a star fish? They are grazers u will be fine. I wouldn't stress about it
15874241660458934997202353009785.jpg

He's coming up over back hard see him.
Not everyone I know has had the same experience, its pretty well documented that they eat corals.
I have 5 fish but i I have nothing eating my rock works at all so I’m hoping that will help
Risk is up to you, its all a balance and If you really like the look of it and like having it in your tank then go for it! They are really fun to watch move around

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do have 4 fish ant lots of untouched rock

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back