Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick FTS and weekend update:
Still dosing phosphate like it is top off water. Had to order another bottle! Green is slowly taking over, more on the right side so far. Looks like i am starting to get cyano too.... hurray. Stuff is looking better (minutely) though, hopefully patience will pay off in the end!
20200530_142555.jpg

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dirty piglet update:
Bottle o' phos number 2.
Stuff is visibly getting better. I think it has gone from mostly dino to mostly cyano and that is even starting to thin. This is like 4 days no cleaning.
20200609_192331.jpg

Also I moved my pajama trio in last Wednesday. They've been little punks. They usually school close to foxy and squabble with each other. It's kinda funny, like foxy got himself a coupla goons. Doesn't seem to mind either, except once he was in a corner and they were fighting right in front of him kinda boxing him in. He nipped one and they quit. Freakin little punks... Anyhow, hopefully the additional load helps. I might move the clowns over in a week or two.

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's too bad little copepods don't have bigger bellies... they'd have my emerging gha issue licked clean!
20200614_171845.jpg

The cyano is still receding, I think we are coming out of the woods!

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200622_215008.jpg

Super blue pic, sorry. It is almost bed time but I had to give an update. Dinos are pretty much gone, but they have been replaced by cyano(slowly going away too) and so much gha. Just cleaned most of it up tonight. But, on a more awesome note:
My awesome sexy wife hooked me up for father's day! Acid rain ultra rainbow bubbletip anemone! The mouth and inside parts are brilliant green I'll try to get better pics as it is puffed up and happy so it isn't showing right now.
20200622_214252.jpg

also got a little tuxido urchin. Little dude is a lawn mower!

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was going really good both gha and cyano were receding. Then i had the bright idea to do a water change last week. It EXPLODED after that, cyano got way worse. Looks like my r/o membrane is toast as my r/o water was at 26ppm... :(. Very much considering chemiclean to nuke it back at least for a while so stuff can calm down. Thanks for asking lol. :p

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent a while today getting the cyano cleaned up, still nowhere near as clean as I'd like it though.
20200711_185124.jpg

I also got everybody moved over and out of the 30 gallon tank. Finally moved the lights over and completed the fixture
20200711_185132.jpg

They are still turned down to 35% but it looks like a ton more light already :)

Edit: Yep. Going to drop the bomb. Figured that while it was mostly gone I would nuke it with chemiclean. Bombs away!

Last edited:

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you treat cyano with anything? Mine has started to explode since GHA went away.

So far I've just been trying to syphon it out best I can, but it's beocming a daily thing and I'm blowing through salt doing water changes. Its started to effect my zoas, all closed up. Bounce ain't happy either, neither are the hammers.

PO4 is around 0.02 and NO3 2-5ppm.

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you treat cyano with anything? Mine has started to explode since GHA went away.

So far I've just been trying to syphon it out best I can, but it's beocming a daily thing and I'm blowing through salt doing water changes. Its started to effect my zoas, all closed up. Bounce ain't happy either, neither are the hammers.

PO4 is around 0.02 and NO3 2-5ppm.

Yeah, i lost a nice scrambled eggs zoa too :( i did just put in some chemiclean last night but one thing i noticed was water changes were just making mine worse, so i had been putting in 5 micron filter socks in the holder in the sump and I've got a shorter gravel vac I stuff one end in the plastic loop in the sock ring to keep it in the sock while I'm using it and just suck up as much as i can both from the sand and then take the gravel attachment off and using just the tube end scrub clean the rock. Then pull the socks after an hour and clean them. That way i can clean and remove without doing a water change, and i can clean as long as i want and not run out of water or have to do a huge change. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
Red_Beard

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boom! Cyano is gone! Thank you chemiclean. Now to up my CUC game and work on the GHA. Also started moving corals over, been in there a week and still looking really good so i am going to move the rest tomorrow.
20200717_194203.jpg

Also tried to get a profile of foxy, he is now a super fat. Hopefully it shows lol.
20200717_194349.jpg

And the nem is looking happy although the clowns still have no idea what to do with it. My wife reminds me of happy Gilmore, it's your home fish, go in your home, are you too good for your home!? ;Hilarious
20200717_195211-jpg.1684734
20200717_195211.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back