flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.

I have observed once things starts settling down, aquatic flow starts becoming important as each coral start jockeying for position.
IDK what the deal is but it seems like I constantly need to change it as I was adding various corals. Now I have the flow wide open which is where I want it but a month or so ago it was too much for the softies.

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I'm winning the cyno battle. Probably a few more days. Getting some zoa and paly growth. Have a few pieces coming these week. Rastas and Fairy tales.

IMG_20190817_182149-01.jpeg

Krokilus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great I need to get some spare money once i have the nitrates dealt with to get some more Zoas and Palys for the garden myself. Think I might pick up some different colors of acan as well i like what i have but i think i have enough purple, red and green

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great I need to get some spare money once i have the nitrates dealt with to get some more Zoas and Palys for the garden myself. Think I might pick up some different colors of acan as well i like what i have but i think i have enough purple, red and green
I was going to post but my last order came from Boom Corals. Very impressed.

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... Let me summarize a few things. Reefing is tough for those with OCD, PTSD, or perfectionist.

I believe Im past the cyno. Only to see some hydroids and see my acan get eaten. I came home last night to see only 2 heads left and a pair of hermits on it. I thought a neighboring mushroom might have not been playing nice so I blamed myself. This morning the hermits were back to finish the last 2 heads lol.

Earlier in last week the ATO controller fell off the back of the tank causing the probes to come out of the sump so 3.5g of RODI flooded the tank and my floor. Salinity dropped to 1.020. So that was a fire drill.

If it was easy everyone would be successful lol. Me I'm barely surviving lol

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... Let me summarize a few things. Reefing is tough for those with OCD, PTSD, or perfectionist.

I believe Im past the cyno. Only to see some hydroids and see my acan get eaten. I came home last night to see only 2 heads left and a pair of hermits on it. I thought a neighboring mushroom might have not been playing nice so I blamed myself. This morning the hermits were back to finish the last 2 heads lol.

Earlier in last week the ATO controller fell off the back of the tank causing the probes to come out of the sump so 3.5g of RODI flooded the tank and my floor. Salinity dropped to 1.020. So that was a fire drill.

If it was easy everyone would be successful lol. Me I'm barely surviving lol

Sorry to hear about the troubles but your attitude is what is making you successful. You realize stuff is going to happen, you deal with and learn from it, and fight for another day. Your tank continues to look great.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough breaks man! What kind of hydroids are you seeing? Colonial or digitate? I have always had colonial hydroids in my tank. Tried fenbendazole treatments multiple times (gets rid of them for about a month and then they come roaring back), manually removing, and smothering them with epoxy. Nothing has worked for me. I’m just letting them be now and trying to not worry about them and they seem to have found a balance. They are there and they annoy me, but I don’t think they are getting worse anymore. Anyways good luck and don’t over react to the hydroids would be my advice. Sorry to hear about the acans though. Any problems from the ato and salinity swing?

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough breaks man! What kind of hydroids are you seeing? Colonial or digitate? I have always had colonial hydroids in my tank. Tried fenbendazole treatments multiple times (gets rid of them for about a month and then they come roaring back), manually removing, and smothering them with epoxy. Nothing has worked for me. I’m just letting them be now and trying to not worry about them and they seem to have found a balance. They are there and they annoy me, but I don’t think they are getting worse anymore. Anyways good luck and don’t over react to the hydroids would be my advice. Sorry to hear about the acans though. Any problems from the ato and salinity swing?
No the salinity swing seemed to upset a few corals but everything seemed OK unless that what killed my acan.

Colonial hydroids... Just aggravating they showed up during the worst of the cyno. I know I'm knitpicking as really tank looks decent. Just feel like Murphy's law hit me for a couple weeks lol

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Persistently stable is the right approach imo. Glad to hear the issue was spotted, resolved and tank is getting back to normal. We have all been there when #$^(I hit the fan. EX - I lost count how many times I had left the filter of RODI running in the laundry to only realized after water was on the floor ;Facepalm.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the salinity swing seemed to upset a few corals but everything seemed OK unless that what killed my acan.

Colonial hydroids... Just aggravating they showed up during the worst of the cyno. I know I'm knitpicking as really tank looks decent. Just feel like Murphy's law hit me for a couple weeks lol
I have read that cutting down on feeding, and focusing on using only pellets for a time helps to starve out colonial hydroids. If you broadcast feed anything though they thrive. I have never tried myself. I believe once your corals mature and take over most of the real estate on your rock work, they will naturally out compete the hydroids. At least enough to keep them under control.

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that cutting down on feeding, and focusing on using only pellets for a time helps to starve out colonial hydroids. If you broadcast feed anything though they thrive. I have never tried myself. I believe once your corals mature and take over most of the real estate on your rock work, they will naturally out compete the hydroids. At least enough to keep them under control.
That's my thought too. I've cut back on all food. Funny thing is the cyano came when I came off acclimation mode when I had just started feeding 2 x week roids. Coral looked great. I know I needed nutrients yet corals are still looks great without feeding now lol. Go figure.

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyno is gone so why not some more pieces lol

Blue Alien ****** Zoanthid (Zoanthus sp.) 4 Polyps
C-ZOO-BLUEALIENORGASM-4POL 1 $34.99 USD $34.99 USD
Blue Mushroom (Actinodiscus sp.)
C-SHROOM-BLUE 1 $39.99 USD $39.99 USD
Fire Ball Zoanthids Coral (Zoanthus sp.) 3 polyp
C-ZOO-FIREBALL-3POL 1 $29.99 USD $29.99 USD
Green Star Polyps (Pachyclavularia sp.)
C-POLYPS-STAR-GREEN 2 $8.99 USD $17.98 USD
LA Lakers Zoanthids Coral (Zoanthus sp.) 4 Polyp
C-ZOO-LALAKERS-4POL 1 $43.99 USD $43.99 USD
Red People Eater Palys - Palythoa 4 Polyps
C-PALY-REDPEOPLEEAT-4POL 1 $25.99 USD $25.99 USD
Toxic Shock Palys (Palythoa sp.) 3 polyp
C-PALY-TOXICSHOCK-3POL 1 $39.99 USD $39.99 USD
TriColor Orange Ricordea Florida (Ricordea florida)
C-RIC-TRICOLOR 1 $19.99 USD $19.99 USD

OP
OP
flchamp89

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide took a couple of weeks but worked very well. Tank currently overall best it's been. Upset still about my acan. I left the skeleton to see if any life is in it. It was one of my first corals. Tank is about full this last order will probably top it off.

Updated FTS

IMG_20190831_110430-01.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back